When should I chop

Somewhere they were talking about weed going brown in the jar. Flushing and supposedly making the chlorophyll exit more rapidly than normal could be a pre-cursor to weed not lasting as long in a jar.
Yeah I think that was wierdly talking about over burped weed becoming oxidized and turning brown because of it. How long would you say a "proper" cure is supposed to last because leafly says four to eight weeks, and some strains even benefit from six months or more of curing.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
This link is a coco flushing journal. If iron uptake was enhanced during soil-less flush, and the other nutrients showed no difference between 0 day and 14 day flushes, its possible that soil abundant in nutrients and microbes may follow a similar pattern as the flushing leaches mobile nutrients like Nitrogen. Or theres enough free nutes/microbe life to keep sustaining the plant. No idea, either way it’s not proven to enhance anything except finishing color, if done improperly it could ruin the buds. Non flushed was actually perceived as better tasting.
The biggest issue with doing it in soil is you can ruin the soil for future grows. I personally think using salt based nutrient solutions in soil ruins the soil and that they really should only be used in soil-less grows.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yeah I think that was wierdly talking about over burped weed becoming oxidized and turning brown because of it. How long would you say a "proper" cure is supposed to last because leafly says four to eight weeks, and some strains even benefit from six months or more of curing.
One month is the minimum fora decent 'smoke report' on the weed but there are strains, particularly the longer flowering ones, that also get better after a longer cure.

After a month I move it to "smoke" or "eat" piles or I'll hash it if that seems best. The stuff that just doesn't thrill me gets decarbed for whatever. But if it even has a hint of greatness I'll file it away to try a few months later. Some cure out great, others just stay blah.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
The biggest issue with doing it in soil is you can ruin the soil for future grows. I personally think using salt based nutrient solutions in soil ruins the soil and that they really should only be used in soil-less grows.
It was the first trial of its kind, and it was only in coco. I really wish they examined this same flush RDWC and Soil as well. I agree that salt build up messes with soil, but couldn’t you remediate it by flushing it with tea, microbes/fungi, sugars and/or enzymes?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
It was the first trial of its kind, and it was only in coco. I really wish they examined this same flush RDWC and Soil as well. I agree that salt build up messes with soil, but couldn’t you remediate it by flushing it with tea, microbes/fungi, sugars and/or enzymes?
At that point there reallly isn’t much point in using soil. You’d be better off using something like ProMix HP than actual living soil.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
At that point there reallly isn’t much point in using soil. You’d be better off using something like ProMix HP than actual living soil.
My Pro-Mix supplier is already out for the year. I bought all they had left, which wasn't a lot. Gonna have to go another route in the near future.
Might have to go with coco or rock wool and use salts for a while.

I see now why flushing is such a hotly debated topic especially for soil growers as it seems rather counter intuitive to make your soil suck so bad that the plant has to start eating itself to finish it's cycle. To me that seems like you basically made your soil grow a hydro grow. :LOL:

Hydro flushing could not be simpler as you simply grab the net pot off her current nutes and place her on a bucket plain ph'd water. That said I pretty much never flush a plant unless it goes way out wack with ph drift right at the end or her ppm goes nuclear 1800>. When I do flush my plants they go hardcore fade inside 3 -5 days fast so I would say it is kinda handy tool to have if the strain your growing is having problems giving up the ghost.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
When I do flush my plants they go hardcore fade inside 3 -5 days fast so I would say it is kinda handy tool to have
But is that changing the trichomes or are the leaves just dying sooner? In nature those beautiful fall colors are a sign that the leaf is dying and will fall off if it is not in the genetics to be purple, or orange or whatever. My Vin Santo (Mandlebrot's Oilspill cross) started turning purple as it popped pistils, and was almost black at harvest. Neither had anything to do with the trichomes. It was like they were on a separate playing field.

But is that changing the trichomes or are the leaves just dying sooner? In nature those beautiful fall colors are a sign that the leaf is dying and will fall off if it is not in the genetics to be purple, or orange or whatever. My Vin Santo (Mandlebrot's Oilspill cross) started turning purple as it popped pistils, and was almost black at harvest. Neither had anything to do with the trichomes. It was like they were on a separate playing field.
Definitely cause the leaves to die sooner and if you left her on the bucket for 14 days I don't think there would be very many left come day 15. I think a 5-7 day flush in hydro is the sweet spot from what I have seen from my grows. I don't think it does much to the trichomes H.A.F. other than mautre like they normally would for X amount of days.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Definitely cause the leaves to die sooner and if you left her on the bucket for 14 days I don't think there would be very many left come day 15. I think a 5-7 day flush in hydro is the sweet spot from what I have seen from my grows. I don't think it does much to the trichomes H.A.F. other than mautre like they normally would for X amount of days.
You missed my point. Is flushing actually making the plant ripen faster or just making the leaves die?

You missed my point. Is flushing actually making the plant ripen faster or just making the leaves die?
Hmmm, I guess I am missing the point. Isn't less moisture in the leaves and much less of them considered a ripening of sorts or are you saying that doesn't matter and it's all about the trichomes H.A.F.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Hmmm, I guess I am missing the point. Isn't less moisture in the leaves and much less of them considered a ripening of sorts or are you saying that doesn't matter and it's all about the trichomes H.A.F.
This is one of the things I love about growing organically. One of the ways I know the plant is close to finish is when the leaves get their fall colors. No need to forage the leaves to change.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have to mention one thing here for you soil growers.(I know nothing about hydro)
Why would you flush? Only thing I can see that would be a benefit, is breaking down and/or diluting the build ups surrounding you roots to allow more O2 to the microbes and prevent acid build up.
I don't think you want to rid the soil of its nutrients, that would basically make your soil "sterile" and turn it into just a "medium".
I use bio-char(store house for nutrients, microbes and bacteria)in my soil medium. You could never get all the nutrients out of bio-char. That's what makes it so exceptional for growing in soil. Your plants always have the ingredients necessary for growth. Plus, it's a hiding place for the microbes to live and flourish. Once the bio-char is loaded, I usually water with a small amount of inoculant or a tea brew or a 5 parts kelp meal to 2 parts humic acid foliar spray. K.I.S.S.
I don't use "Recharge". lol
Just coffee grounds with a dash of something else for 30 bucks.
People are so gullible. lol
Sorry Scotty!
I'll go with GrowKashi!

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Oh yea, I forgot to mention, bio-char works great for the "older" strains of yester year.
I just finished smoking a "pepper and pine" cultivar of "Who The Fuck Knows" Genetics out of an old seed of mine.
I'm shutting the door and closing the curtains and firing of the Ibanez and rocking out for an hr.
This is what I'm talking about, this old "geezer's" beans are special. lol
Now if I can keep out of the frig.
Hey, you all know how it is,
your shit is the best shit out there, right?
We all think that. lol
Oh yea, Ibanez!

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Senescence is the act of the plant fully focusing on its reproductive organs. The leaves are drying out as chlorophyll is broken down for ATP. Without chlorophyll those leaves do not receive water. In a sense you are both drying out the leaves and forcing it to finish its buds.

Senescence is the act of the plant fully focusing on its reproductive organs. The leaves are drying out as chlorophyll is broken down for ATP. Without chlorophyll those leaves do not receive water. In a sense you are both drying out the leaves and forcing it to finish its buds.
Hmmm... So what would you say the best way to get your plants into senescence is DET—PDX?
Make/force them into it and let them have no doubt they are indeed going to die.
Or let them do it all by themselves and don't give them any other stress if possible for as long as it takes.