What would you like to see at the grow store..?

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
Everything changes. What didn't work for me then might work for a guy now. I mean...folks really need to take a class to grow weed now? Gotta say I haven't seen that go over (successfully) here in CO...but yup...read the first 2 sentences above again.. Never say never.....

If ya investigate it further.....I'd be interested to know if the major suppliers..hydrofarm/sunlight/etc. will now sell to anyone with a Fed Tax ID/without a formal retail storefront ........what their minimum order $$ are currently (was 5K) ....and if their policies...on paper at least...have changed regarding "pot". Fuckers were making a killing even when I was in it....and Hydrofarm and sunlight both required you to sign a legal document saying you wouldn't sell their product to pot growers! LOL. Yeah....sure thing.....no problem .......I'll just turn away 95% of the business comin in.....ya hypocrites.

If those guys say NO...Nickel city used to be far more cool/open about things with their suppliers. Might be worth looking into. i know i bought some stuff from em..just too long ago to remember what. I just remember they had a different vibe all around.

Anywa.y.....I hope it works out for ya...whatever yer plans are/whatever you come up with.
its already startin in MO, classes to grow, pay to go to expo to learn to grow, pay membership to join group to learn how to grow, lmfao, its a fucking weed. Most of us learned by the school of hard knocks, but I also remember sitting down and forcing myself to read some things, Clarke, etc, but mostly trial and error. I remember the ad in High Times in 88 or so per rooting clones in shipping peanuts floating on water and also everything was rockwool slabs, cubes, etc. Green's Bible, some other books and off we were. No they want me to pay 125 bucks to go to a seminar to learn how to grow one way when there are so many diff ones, you kinda gotta laugh. Must be the same guys got all the time and money in the world to hunt down landraces, cause thats the only real pot left, lmfao

Now1more

Super Active Member
Seriously, and I'm going to be the asshole to say it... I think it's a losing endeavor. People just order shit off of Amazon. As much as I hate to say it, I buy there too. I want to say, fuck Amazon! But, the bottom line is my wallet.

The younger generation will gladly pay to take a class on how to grow "weed". I watch my 23 yo son spend ridiculous amounts of money on food. When he comes to visit and doesn't like what we have for breakfast, he's runs to Dunkin Donuts. Drops $20 on breakfast, then turns around a few hours later and drops $30 on lunch. I've talked till I'm blue in the face! Stupid, stupid, stupid! No wonder why you still live with your mom!

So, I met his new girlfriend a few weeks ago and she was grilling me about growing. I explained a lot and she said... I wish there was a class for this.

This new generation looks at ALL of their income as disposable and wants to spend it on instant gratification. Hence, a class on growing.

Just giving you my take on things. I personally would think twice about a straight up brick and mortar grow shop. But, what do I know?

D

Deleted member 60

Everyone still sees $$$$$ signs back there. Applause for tryin...and for wanting to make $$$$ in all of it....but >>everybody<< is trying to do something surrounding this...so it's a huge crap shoot and many will lose big.

We saw it here in CO....with med first....when we had NO limits on caregiverships and basically no state involvement if you were caregiving. TONS of people flocked here to take advantage....you could grow as many plants as you could grab cards from patients. HUNDREDS of 6 counts. Then the laws changed...more than once....gardens changed....requirements/limits changed (more than once)......then the dispensaries hit and prices started to drop... then Rec hit.....many people left...many more came with MORE stars in their eyes....and now we have shit tons of equipment on Craigslsit and stores in the cities that sell USED equipment like it's a garage sale for pennies on the dollar and $100 ounces...if you can sell it at all.

meanwhile..the tourists and hammerheads go to the shops and pay street prices + 20% tax....and the State makes the paper as the new drug dealer in town....every town.

Most folks will simply go to the shops and buy it...and the myriad of other things that will be legally sold at the stores...they won't grow it. And most buying will buy concentrates or edibles..not flowers. That's how it is here anyway.. Med folks will buy it and sell it to non-med friends if they don't grow. All of it is competiton for the folks who have been in the mix for years...risking all. I'm just glad we made real money then....and that I'm out now. It was incredible..........

hope all is well on the farm. Ain;t heard much from ya so figured you may have fallen into that sweet little thing you found and hadn't come up for air yet.... ...LOL rock on....

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Seriously, and I'm going to be the asshole to say it... I think it's a losing endeavor. People just order shit off of Amazon. As much as I hate to say it, I buy there too. I want to say, fuck Amazon! But, the bottom line is my wallet.

The younger generation will gladly pay to take a class on how to grow "weed". I watch my 23 yo son spend ridiculous amounts of money on food. When he comes to visit and doesn't like what we have for breakfast, he's runs to Dunkin Donuts. Drops $20 on breakfast, then turns around a few hours later and drops $30 on lunch. I've talked till I'm blue in the face! Stupid, stupid, stupid! No wonder why you still live with your mom!

So, I met his new girlfriend a few weeks ago and she was grilling me about growing. I explained a lot and she said... I wish there was a class for this.

This new generation looks at ALL of their income as disposable and wants to spend it on instant gratification. Hence, a class on growing.

Just giving you my take on things. I personally would think twice about a straight up brick and mortar grow shop. But, what do I know?
They have classes at the place near me . I think it's a great idea .

GCG

Dinosaur
Free seeds always seems to be a good draw for websites selling seeds.

Partner with someone (like @Heisenbeans for example) to run you a special strain of fem seeds.

You want people to buy grow stuff. Give them a seed or three to grow and there's no telling how much shit they'll buy from you for growing, harvesting, etc.
Thats a great idea. If you can't actually give or sells seeds partner with a breeder and give vouchers for free seeds with certain purchases or a specific dollar amount. Drive traffic to your store and the breeders site. Win/Win

D

Deleted member 60

Laws. Legality is a series of laws. Dunno about other states...but again.....if it contains THC here in CO you must be licensed by the State to sell/grow/etc. it.

or if you are merely an employee...you must be 'badged" by the state to sell/vend any/all THC products. (like a State liquor control sales ID) To do this you must be 21 and have no felonies..... or you can't play at all.

That would include seeds here. No seed sales are allowed in grow stores here. CBD..yes. THC. no.

And the game of offering a service/product or other perk for a price..and then 'gifting" weed/seeds/etc in association with...or for a "donation"....is also a no-no here. I would check with your State! THEY want to make the $$$ off pot/seeds/sales of all cannabis goods. Every state is different..... but remember...first and foremost...that all of the states ARE looking at all of this as a cash cow/tax boon. You could out and out GIFT the seeds...or steer folks to Heisen/other sites that sell seeds...but otherwise...it's a risk to your investment.

FWIW....The main thing I see where folks fail/set themselves up to fail....is that they try to transpose their >current< (likely illegal) situation to the legal market....failing to see that EVERYTHING...especially the returns...are different (less) in the legal environment than where you might be setting up your business plan from.

will be interesting to see where this goes for you/others interested in getting into this industry.

Dondell

I'm not offended. I have no investment in this venture...Yet. The guy that owns a store nearby, is definitely having a hard time competing with online sales. The other nearby store, has scaled back there hydro sales considerably. I don't see another hydro store being lucrative....but there has to be an angle somehow...That is the purpose of my post...to get ideas as to what would be a lucrative endeavor...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Laws. Legality is a series of laws. Dunno about other states...but again.....if it contains THC here in CO you must be licensed by the State to sell/grow/etc. it.

or if you are merely an employee...you must be 'badged" by the state to sell/vend any/all THC products. (like a State liquor control sales ID) To do this you must be 21 and have no felonies..... or you can't play at all.

That would include seeds here. No seed sales are allowed in grow stores here. CBD..yes. THC. no.

And the game of offering a service/product or other perk for a price..and then 'gifting" weed/seeds/etc in association with...or for a "donation"....is also a no-no here. I would check with your State! THEY want to make the $$$ off pot/seeds/sales of all cannabis goods. Every state is different..... but remember...first and foremost...that all of the states ARE looking at all of this as a cash cow/tax boon. You could out and out GIFT the seeds...or steer folks to Heisen/other sites that sell seeds...but otherwise...it's a risk to your investment.

FWIW....The main thing I see where folks fail/set themselves up to fail....is that they try to transpose their >current< (likely illegal) situation to the legal market....failing to see that EVERYTHING...especially the returns...are different (less) in the legal environment than where you might be setting up your business plan from.

will be interesting to see where this goes for you/others interested in getting into this industry.
I don't think this is a state law discussion. This is a "what would make a store successful in an already legal state" type thing (or I thought it was)

Can't legally sell seeds? give them away. Then sell the pots, dirt, lights, nutes, expert tutorials, etc. If it is a storefront they would obviously have to check whatever boxes apply legally. Being legally righteous doesn't mean the business will be a success.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Even if you just have a license to grow x number of plants for yourself, grow them in the store as the "visual aids" to teach your classes. Maybe everyone comes to class and watches, then goes home and does their own plants - which are all ~the same stage of growth.

D

Deleted member 60

There is no more lucrative gig than simply selling some weed....... heeeheee.

Sorry H.A.F..... like it or not.....State law will drive the baseline parameters drawn around all (legal) cannabis and hemp related businesses....whether you are licensed to sell/grow the product itself/process it...or are outside of all of that in one of the satellite business than depend/cater to it. Just because it's legal doesn't mean you can do as you please....like bringing 'fat flowers" into your store....or selling seeds....or anything else related to cannabis.......without adhering to the law. Not here anyway. Here in CO......unless you are licensed.....and I'm guessing nobody here has the millions that takes to pull such a thing off...your "rights" to this plant/to grow this plant end at your property line....other than the oz in yer pocket. If the laws in the state where this venture may be located differ...and they will......then they can do something different within their states laws.

so with what these good folks may be considering...it is and must be about state law..even if ya don't wanna hear it. There's too much at stake for most folks to treat any of it as a Bro-science biz....

and I'm guessing that isn't the case here. Best of luck @Dondell

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Sorry H.A.F..... like it or not.....State law will drive the baseline parameters drawn around all (legal) cannabis and hemp related businesses....
Point missed yet again - this is not a state law discussion. You take ideas, and conform them to be within whatever laws you have. This is the brainstorming part with the ideas.

D

Deleted member 60

Yes..it is all about business plans that conform/adhere and operate within State law.

See you didn't miss the point after all .

Main Cola

Chuckers Paradise
I have some heavy duty, big money...legit backers that want to open a grow store in a now legal state. What are some things that you would like to see offered at a retail location? Specific brands...processing equip? What could I do, to stand out from the rest?
My buddy just closed the hydro store that he owned that I worked at and still has tons of inventory that he's selling at great price..p.m if you're interested

Attachments

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
quality LEDs, maybe a blurple or two for those on a budget, but I want to see mostly COBs and/or quantum setups. Recharge. More of the quality dry foods, like Jacks and/or Megacrop. More foods that offer value and quality both, and less foods that are ridiculously expensive and duplicitous. Seeds from Nspecta, Heisen and Useful. Portable AC’s , humidifiers, dehumidifiers. Radicle Bags. Quality EWC.

I do a combination of shopping online and going to my local GrowGen.

D

Deleted member 60

Wow that looks familiar @Main Cola. When I decided to close shop I spent the last 2 months handing out cards with my cell # on em and told folks I was closing shop...formally...but as long as there was stock left....deals would abound. I sold a BUNCH of it over a year or so timeframe. Met folks in the parking lot where the store used to be located...and a few who I'd known previously/felt were cool cats....I invited to the house to walk through my completely packed full double car garage.

Give him my regards and my "Well fuck". that's disappointing shit i know all too well. If he's closing...he likely rode the same "I work for free here" train I did. Far too much time and $$$ invested....and all ya got for it was some education (never run a retail store again...ever) and a buncha equipment I felt I needed to use to make up the slack for 4 years of not gettin paid. I go to the local shop now and see 2 employees in there.....and i just can't see how they can make it all work and pay anyone..... but they must be makin it.....or growing big on the backside (they do grow hemp)..... cus they are still there.