what kind of soil do you use?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Me too! And I like to add a little vermiculite too if I have it
I always used vermiculite for tomato soil. I haven't heard it mentioned much on the weed forums. I might have just missed it, but I wonder if there's a reason. If I remember right you can squeeze it and it compresses right?

Dondell

I can tell you the best soil for your needs but need a little info first.
  1. What nutrients are you using? Or plan on using with your soil?
  2. How long do you veg your plants before you flip them to flower?
  3. What size pots do you flower in?
  4. What is your light source? (Brand, Watts)
currenty using canna +b...was using floranova for its simplicity(switched cuz of inconsistency towards the end of the bottle).
veg for @2-3 weeks rapid rooters to small square pots, to one gallon..finish in three gallons
2x600hps for flower...hlg 150 + 2' 8 bulb t5 for veg...

most of my problems due to gnats, and rehydrating the BotanicaRE compressed blocks..
I want to make this as clean, simple, cheap and easy as possible...thinking of PROMIX hp and jacks hydro...
I have been using pure coco, as I'm done with the perlite dust...it looks funny when dumped in the backyard..

Innob

Being a coco grower myself. I ran a water only super soil outdoors last summer and it did decent.

I took the easy way and picked up some roots organic and a super compost blend from a company called nature's living soil.

All I needed to do was top dress once during flower and I think the soil would've went the distance if i didn't have to cut early.

I saved the soil to use it again but I want to pick up a fresh bag of roots to run it indoors with better conditions.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
I want to make this as clean, simple, cheap and easy as possible...thinking of PROMIX hp and jacks hydro...
I have never used Jacks but Promix is easy to work with and easy to flush. I think the roots organics products such as the Greenfields would preform just as well. In 3 gallon pots I would be sure to add a top layer of mulch 1/2 inch - 1 inch thick to ensure your plant can use the entire pot. Any plant I plan on smoking goes in a 5 gallon pot or larger and tends to be easier to manage in late flower.

Dondell

I have never used Jacks but Promix is easy to work with and easy to flush. I think the roots organics products such as the Greenfields would preform just as well. In 3 gallon pots I would be sure to add a top layer of mulch 1/2 inch - 1 inch thick to ensure your plant can use the entire pot. Any plant I plan on smoking goes in a 5 gallon pot or larger and tends to be easier to manage in late flower.
I'm doin 3 gal with coco...

D

Deleted member 60

If you are mixing up a super soil or other type of mix and you use perlite..... WET that shit down before you use it. No dust.

And once it's wet......make what I call "Caramel Corn"....... aka....dump your favorite bennies/microbes like Oregonism, Mikrobs, BioRush/etc. into/onto that damp perlite and it will coat it/stick to every orofice.
Spreads the shit out really well in the mix.

Stoned Cold Bulldog

I'm tired of coco and the problems that come with it....what kind of soil are you using?
that says to me your missing something in your dial in efforts with coco. nothing wromg with oing to soil. but i would write down all details of your coco attempts and see if that can be fixed. it's worth the effort because we both know what folks are doing great with it.

i started with Epsoma organic soil ,it has a slight nute charge and no problems. plants like it. ran out and now have biobizz lite = also with slight nute charge . got it based on some assumptions but then found out the reality of biobizz and i'm fine with it. nice mix ratio of air and the plants like this too.

kicker is only used the because i have to duck inspections. so didn't want to use my coco that is waiting for a full blown grow with all the other stuff i have plus coco nutes.
i needed something i could make mothers with and clone the in case i needed to toss put the bigger moms keeping the clones which are easier to hide. also because i didn't want that explosive coco type growth. i wanted something that i could go on cruise control since light levels were/are low and space severely limited as well. with that said both of those soils will allow vigorous growth if your not trying to grow slow style like i did.

lastly since u went to coco, why not just go to soiless like promix bx and add chunky perlite not regular. bx has water holding stuff and allows medium to not have to water so often and that's why i originally chose it. also used it outside for the same reason to help with watering less.

D

Deleted member 60

stiicky, you don't throw mykos in thru the grow, just in the beginning, I may have misunderstood, you know me?
I add bennies/microbes in whenever I mix new mediumup and/or transplant/up-pot......and I've been using the RAW "Bloom" microbes later on in the grow as well. Izzat what ya meant?

Now1more

Super Active Member
@stiickygreen I do the same, wet the perlite. I use a mix of perlite, promix, peat moss (I have a ton because my wife is a master gardener and loves the shit), homemade compost (I want to know what's in my shit), EWC (maybe 1 1/2 cups for 10 gallons), and I do add my microbes right from the beginning as well. I hit with EM from the beginning and as it cools I keep hitting it with Recharge. Once cooked, very nice to work with... Unless you cat treats it as a litter box! My bad...