what kind of soil do you use?

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
I'd be interested to hear about the issues you've had with coco if you don't mind sharing.

I don't use soil indoors or out, but if I did I'd be looking for something that's pretty light and airy with lots of perlite/aeration.
Never been just a straight coco fan myself . i no its used in the potting soils for growing . in a self made octopot system with airstones, i loved the results of bout 60-40 of large perlite & premade prime compost.
Good drainage, u get the terps in your buds of a pure organic grown, with the growths of hydro imo.
Basically a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled all over bottom so roots can grow into the hydro style set up. Sitting on top of 7-8 gallon tote on bottom. Top fed by hand using botainicare pure blend pro nutes at half strength daily. Once roots hit those airstones in bottom resivor it really loved life..
Also did same set up but using a propd up 5 gallon smart pot up top and below was a tote . worked just as Good. 2 root zones per plant. Just my suggestion if wanna trying something where its half organic and half hydro kind of deal.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Soil from the start and I have tried several. I tried almost everything from Fox Farms either by itself or in various combinations. Great soil for growing weed - gnats. Every damn time. Summer, winter, fuckit - gnats.

I am into my first grow with Roots Organic Greenfields, and so far no little buggies.

The other one that I have yet to try but heard good things was the ProMix soils.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And if you need help with the watering, there's a great video lurking on here somewhere on the science of watering in soil. But it breaks down to this.

Have goods drainage. (cloth pots are good to start in)

When you water them or feed them soak the pot - you can't 'overwater' when you are watering.

If the pot is heavy, they don't usually need water (after a repot before the roots fill the next size pot, sometimes it needs a little on top instead of another soaking).

Lift a pot of dry soil, then a soaked one, and get the feel of the difference. The roots will suck a pot dry. Like, you lift it and think "DAMN! I need to water!" :)

They need the cycle of wet/dry in soil. If you find yourself needing to water more often than every 3 days it's time for a bigger pot.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
And if you need help with the watering, there's a great video lurking on here somewhere on the science of watering in soil. But it breaks down to this.

Have goods drainage. (cloth pots are good to start in)

When you water them or feed them soak the pot - you can't 'overwater' when you are watering.

If the pot is heavy, they don't usually need water (after a repot before the roots fill the next size pot, sometimes it needs a little on top instead of another soaking).

Lift a pot of dry soil, then a soaked one, and get the feel of the difference. The roots will suck a pot dry. Like, you lift it and think "DAMN! I need to water!" :)

They need the cycle of wet/dry in soil. If you find yourself needing to water more often than every 3 days it's time for a bigger pot.
This is great ! The biggest issue I had when I started was water to soon. I tell my buddy's wait until that thing weighs nothing! Then water
Also I still feel like a rookie cause I add perlite to everything

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is great ! The biggest issue I had when I started was water to soon. I tell my buddy's wait until that thing weighs nothing! Then water
Soil (I think) is more about feel - definitely not easiest for mass production harvests. As they get older the plants can get on their own schedule, or you end up watering a few plants a day early because the rest needed it. Other than that, it seems a lot less labor than coco unless you have an auto-feeding set-up.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Soil (I think) is more about feel - definitely not easiest for mass production harvests. As they get older the plants can get on their own schedule, or you end up watering a few plants a day early because the rest needed it. Other than that, it seems a lot less labor than coco unless you have an auto-feeding set-up.
Yeah I just check em and water as needed , it's a bitch but it works . Every dam plant has a completely dif root structure so it varies like crazy from plant to plant. Just don't be lazy and pick them up to check .

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yeah I just check em and water as needed , it's a bitch but it works . Every dam plant has a completely dif root structure so it varies like crazy from plant to plant. Just don't be lazy and pick them up to check .
Another thing I do, is if I have a lone overachiever that drinks like a fish, I might toss in a pint or so the day before watering day if it looks droopy.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
I'm tired of coco and the problems that come with it....what kind of soil are you using?
I can tell you the best soil for your needs but need a little info first.
  1. What nutrients are you using? Or plan on using with your soil?
  2. How long do you veg your plants before you flip them to flower?
  3. What size pots do you flower in?
  4. What is your light source? (Brand, Watts)