what kind of soil do you use?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Am I the only one that read the part where he didn't want to use coco, and was looking for soil options, not coco cures? :unsure: 😎

I am seeing a few gnats with the RO Greenfields, but I am thinking that is going to be a hazard with organic growing for me because I live in the woods. Nothing like the crap I saw with the Fox Farms though.

I used @J.James advice on the layer of mulch (about an inch or so of coco chips) and I think that makes a difference. I have a bottle of spinosad that I spray the chips with after I feed/water. I like the barrier rather than spraying it right on the soil.

Big Perm

Budtender
I have been using pure coco, as I'm done with the perlite dust...it looks funny when dumped in the backyard..
I use a tote. Drop the block of coco in the tote and add pre pH water from a 5 gallon bucket and walk away. I don't rinse it or anything. Then that tub is my coco tub when I need coco.
I also reuse my coco. After a harvest I let it dry out some, roots and all. I pull it out of the pot in a huge one piece mass, set it on a baking pan and bake it at 300 for about two hours, usually 4 to 6 root balls. It bakes any critters you may have had out.
Been working great.

I know you were asking about soil, and I'm not against soil at all.
You stated saving money, and you have coco now. Just trying to help.
Edit: Also, if you have a pest problem in coco. You haven't seen a pest problem until you go to soil.
Am I the only one that read the part where he didn't want to use coco, and was looking for soil options, not coco cures? :unsure: 😎
Can you quote it?

Big Perm

Budtender
I'm stubborn. I don't like the daily watering thing because I'm lazy, or the watering system thing because I grow in a carpeted bedroom - stuff breaks, for me at least.
Dude, you are talking to a Seabee. You know this.
I can help you out with a watering setup, no problem.
I know, right?

Big Perm

Budtender
No prob.
If you or anyone else needs any help in the future. just hit me up.
I ran soil, too. I don't have anything against it at all.

Nugz

Amen how does Happy frog and the 30% perlite work out for you I used the same thing only 50% perlite and I'm always guessing when to fertilize how long after your initial potting do you wait to fertilize
I germinate in red solo cups with FFHF. I transplant after a weeks to a 1 gal and then a 3 gal. You don't need any nutes during this time because of the new soil and top dressing. I then watch the plants for any sign they are hungry. it is usually about week 4 I give MegaCrop in 1/2 the recommended amount. I continue MegaCrop every watering util the end. Very simple and have never had any real issues. Check them at night and then the morning, water if needed and repeat the next day. I found 30% perlite was the right amount to not dry out to quickly but the soil doesn't stay saturated. They get watered every 2 to 3 days.

bill203

for what im doing now i got a 50L plagron organic batmix with perlite and mixing 5L maybe more of some elixir gardens worm castings that came with a load of worms inside the bags:D. would use abit of volcanic rock dust aswell if i had it this time around.looking at using canna bio floras for flowering.

Dondell

I use a tote. Drop the block of coco in the tote and add pre pH water from a 5 gallon bucket and walk away. I don't rinse it or anything. Then that tub is my coco tub when I need coco.
I also reuse my coco. After a harvest I let it dry out some, roots and all. I pull it out of the pot in a huge one piece mass, set it on a baking pan and bake it at 300 for about two hours, usually 4 to 6 root balls. It bakes any critters you may have had out.
Been working great.

I know you were asking about soil, and I'm not against soil at all.
You stated saving money, and you have coco now. Just trying to help.
Edit: Also, if you have a pest problem in coco. You haven't seen a pest problem until you go to soil.

Can you quote it?
my problem was botainicare coco block...went back to canna blocks and everything is fine. Botainicare coco was like mushy, wet coffee grounds...caused major root rot....almost lost all my good strains...NEVER AGAIN...I'm sticking with canna. I can appreciate the organic/natural approach, but the cabinet is in my bedroom, and I cant sleep next to guano and fish emulsions...coco and bottled nutrients has done me well for many years...