Vertical Goodness and Other Batshit Craziness

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Thanks a bunch for all those great info nuggets ttystikk! (y) As far as the inline filter goes it pretty much just constricts the water flow kinda like putting your thumb on the end of hose so you can spray the water further and in a much more wider coverage area to give the return water more contact with the open air. Super low tech.
Interesting. Did you have a big pump for lots of head pressure? I'm running something smaller than 100gph for 14 tub sites in that room.

Ah so this pump just runs the one outlet, then?
Yup, all it had to do was push water from my collection res slightly up hill through 1/2 pvc for around 20' to the control res where that had the inline filter. I had a cut off valve right before the control res so I could feather the flow or turn it off if need be. It worked great but it leaked(other parts of the system, maninly the 5 gallon buckets and the uniseal/pvc junctions) pretty badly and I never really got it humming like I wanted to. If I ever try it again I am totally going to use hose and not pvc.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Yup, all it had to do was push water from my collection res slightly up hill through 1/2 pvc for around 20' to the control res where that had the inline filter. I had a cut off valve right before the control res so I could feather the flow or turn it off if need be. It worked great but it leaked(other parts of the system, maninly the 5 gallon buckets and the uniseal/pvc junctions) pretty badly and I never really got it humming like I wanted to. If I ever try it again I am totally going to use hose and not pvc.
If you scroll up you'll see I'm using 1" flexible line. It's a lot more versatile and forgiving. I use 1" irrigation fittings for inline connectors, bulkhead fittings, elbows, tees and caps. Cheap! I also use 1" inline with a 1/2” tee fitting and that's for the 1/2” lines to each tub site. Everything is built to be modular to the point where I've changed configurations dozens of times and haven't needed to cut a line to fit in I can't even remember how long.

When it first goes together I'll get a weeping fitting or two somewhere but in a couple of days and maybe a twist and they close up.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Salute ttystikk, a few questions off the top of my head...

1 - What nutes do you run and at what strength for Nursery, Small Veg, Big Veg, Flower?
2 - Do you use a chiller?
3 - Do you use a fungicide or do you run sterile?

Cheers, Z.

Oh, and when I built an outdoor RDWC a couple of years ago I ran an inline sediment filter on top of my control bucket/cooler and it really seemed to amplify the water fall effect as it shoots the water out like a fan horizontal across the top really nicely. That obviously doesn't make too much of a shit seeing your results, but I thought I would share in case you might want a bit more air exposure and cooling effect.
View attachment 103946
Many moons ago I Used to use filters exactly like yours in my outdoor gorilla grows I had black poly pipe running way up hill in small creek gravity did the rest those filters are bulletproof they lasted several years...

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
1. I run dry nutrient salts from Chem-Gro.
www.hydrogardens.com
I use their 5-11-26 plus micros hydroponic mix, calcium nitrate and epsom salt, the last sourced from Wal-Mart in the pharmacy section because it's cheaper there lol

Veg is a ratio of 5 parts mix, 4 parts calcium nitrate and 2 parts epsom salt. pH 5.8-6.3, EC 1.7-2.0

Bloom is a ratio of 3-2-1, and I'll add approximately 1g/gallon of MKP (monopotassium phosphate, 0-52-32) somewhere around week 3 of flower. pH and EC similar to veg

2. Yes, I use a chiller but mine is bigger and used for cooling RDWC water and for water cooled air handlers for climate control. These also remove excess moisture from grow room air. Unfortunately, the fucking thing is broken so I'm winging it through the winter and hoping I can find someone who can fix it before it gets hot again. Because the same unit runs both air and water cooling, I'm reducing overall complexity and chillers are a bit more efficient than AC, especially here where altitude is high and humidity is very low. More on this later.

3. Neither! As long as the RDWC water sees a temperature of 69 or less at least once a day, it takes care of itself. I've even deliberately poured nasty rotten root water into the system while in the midst of a run and nothing happened. Proper circulation, aeration and churning action to break surface tension is all that's required for good water quality.

Please tell me more about how that inline filter sprayed water? I find that bit fascinating!
You have never dealt with diatomes, your gonna need a little more than that if you ever have to deal with it. Brown Algae. Not every grower is plagued or blessed with the same water quality. The only way I was able to defeat it was with uv sterilizers and pasteurized chlorine.
Water company's treat the water but this is a microscopic plague.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
You have never dealt with diatomes, your gonna need a little more than that if you ever have to deal with it. Brown Algae. Not every grower is plagued or blessed with the same water quality. The only way I was able to defeat it was with uv sterilizers and pasteurized chlorine.
I've heard of it but you're right, the water here does not have such problems. In fact, my local water quality is some of the best in the country; EC is .05 with no iron. That's why there are so many breweries and distilleries in northern Colorado.

I've heard of it but you're right, the water here does not have such problems. In fact, my local water quality is some of the best in the country; EC is .05 with no iron. That's why there are so many breweries and distilleries in northern Colorado.
Not just Northern CO. I've got great water here in the middle, and don't forget about Coors in Golden.

We need to stop advertising it though, because this is still Colorado and not Calirado. At least for now, lol.

IMG_5353.JPG

One of the first YouTube videos I ever watched of yours H was you explaining how to beat pythium using the inline uv water filter
I was like, "This mother fucker is SERIOUS!" :ROFLMAO: I never had to go NUCLER and implement such a system and just run AG fungicide and works great and w/o a chiller. I guess OK is blessed with good water quality like CO.

Last edited:

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
(In my best Arby's commercial voice)
WE HAVE THE ROOTS!
View attachment 104016
I've always wanted to custom design and build a straight waterfall system. Once the water is oxygenated it can travel around the root zones. Air stones have to break water to supply oxygen and to many roots in a bucket can somewhat hinder that. I did a tutorial back on YouTube 3 years ago and since than a few people have copied my original design and made there own videos with better production graphics and such.

(In my best Arby's commercial voice)
WE HAVE THE ROOTS!
View attachment 104016
I have always kinda wanted to cut a nice slab of root booty meat off one of my girls after harvest & then toss it in a crock pot with a nice hunk of smoked sausage and a couple purtatos. Cook em till they are nice and soft then break out the Gludens and NOM NOM NOM. I bet they are decently tasty.
NL1 Root Bootymeat.jpg

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I actually found the use of a chiller using beneficial bacteria was no good. The bennies need warmer water to survive. When I started using the uv sterilizer and uc roots which is not pool shock as people claim , I had 0 issues and never used a chiller again. Around that time I had to be able to move the plants into pollination rooms so dwc was kinda impractical anymore. I would love to build a waterfall setup maybe with a master control tote with major forced oxygen and it would recirculate to the rest of the system. No need to waterfall each bucket if your system recirculates because the oxygen goes with the water.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I honestly think it was the return line that added the oxygen to the buckets. Once the roots filled up the buckets there was no longer air bubbles breaking the surface. When I used a stronger pump like a 1000+ as the return line it would waterfall alot stronger in the epi bucket. Smaller pumps caused more issues. I may design and build something from scratch as a project to build on using this same principle

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I've always wanted to custom design and build a straight waterfall system. Once the water is oxygenated it can travel around the root zones. Air stones have to break water to supply oxygen and to many roots in a bucket can somewhat hinder that. I did a tutorial back on YouTube 3 years ago and since than a few people have copied my original design and made there own videos with better production graphics and such.
I've been doing it like this for 5 or 6 years now. I like everything about it; low parts count, infinitely reconfigurable, cheap parts available everywhere, the smallest orifice in the system is 1/2” making clogs rare, cold coil for active cooling goes in the control bucket, one pump runs it all, even the sound of all those little waterfalls makes a soothing Zen gurgle that makes me happy anytime I hear it.

The water level isn't at all critical; as long as the splash hits the roots and the water isn't so high it's drowning the plants, it's all good. I've gone so far as to pour nasty rotten root water in a system once and nothing happened.

Highly recommended. I've done soil, organics, coco, flood tables, this is my personal favorite. I haven't done aeroponics but every one of those setups I've seen or followed somewhere ends in clogs and tears.

As long as the water is cool enough (basically below 72F), it's bulletproof.

I did read what you said about brown algae and I can see why a UV sterilizer would be necessary but that's easy to plumb into the system. Others have discussed a bed or spine zone for beneficial microbes, again that's easy to plumb in if someone felt the need.