the hempy method

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
just looking for other hempy lovers on this site. I currently use pure perlite with a soil cap of fox farms ocean forest (soil on top 20% of hempy bucket; helps clones and seedlings settle into media easier IMO) 1200w of hps and using 5gal buckets. please post ur hempy successes!
Welcome from Canada 🇨🇦 eh! Buds look awesome!

Genetic

I thought it was 80% soil on top and 20% perlite on bottom?

Well damn 80% perlite and 20% soil seems like it works too.
I'm just guessing your water level is higher.

Romeo Scragg

This is why I never joined a forum before. I just couldn't bring myself to post pics. It still feels weird, maybe I'll get used to it. At least in the hempy thread they aren't likely to be seen 😉.This is my bargain basement setup. Nirvana seeds in hempy buckets, 100% perlite and Jack's professional nutrients. If anyone knows a cheaper, lazier way to grow..... I'm here to learn.Somewhat perpetual. I try to harvest a few buckets every 4-5 weeks. Yeah I know...... Nirvana...👎 They get no love on the forums, never have but before their insane price increase you could find some special keepers cheap. .... sometimes..... I guess I uploaded these in the wrong order? In the first it's Bubble Head from karma ready to go in the flower room. Next is Grandpa's Stash from Ethos ready to move up to 5gal buckets. And last is a hodge podge of nirvana in flower.
IIMG_20211231_075317319.jpgIMG_20211231_075333467.jpgIMG_20220102_045717967.jpg

Last edited:
Your girls look GREAT Romeo Scragg! And Cracky Buckets can grow the hell out of some good tomatoes here in OK. Looking at your buckets can you tell me how they are setup exactly as I am kinda curious what you have going on in them. And if saving money is still a concern have you every run the numbers on what it would take to fill your buckets with cheap brick coco instead of perlite? When I used perlite in my outdoor dutch buckets it would always get tore up with algae which then in turn spike the PH a bit. I think coco might be a smidge bit cheaper and touch more stable medium. Cheers, Z.

Last edited:

Romeo Scragg

Thank you Zap, they are the original design. A hole 2inches up in the side of a bucket. I guess simplicity is as important to me as cheap. I've tried other media, top dressing, wicks, drips etc... I haven't seen any real improvement over the original hand watered hole in a bucket. I used to mix in some vermiculite but that just makes it harder to reuse the perlite which is cheap and easy for me to get. Algae isn't usually a real problem for me in straight perlite but if I see much I either cover it with fresh or scoop it out.

Last edited:
They are the original design. A hole 2inches up in the side of a bucket. I guess simplicity is as important to me as cheap. I've tried other media, top dressing, wicks, drips etc... I haven't seen any real improvement over the original hand watered hole in a bucket. I used to mix in some vermiculite but that just makes it harder to reuse the perlite which is cheap and easy for me to get. Algae isn't usually a real problem for me in straight perlite but if I see much I either cover it with fresh or scoop it out.
Right on, I am a big fan of the KISS method myself. Pot, hole, medium, plant, nutes. :cool:
Water Lillies.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Double posted the pics? Sorry about that, it was literally my first time. Anyway.... Keeping the 5week schedule after grandpa's stash will come skunk hero (ethos), boss hog (Cali connection) Kandy kush (DnA) with some lucky dog stuff added in every time.
Dropping my next small set of beans tomorrow and a Grandpa's Stash R2 and a Member Berry are in the mix. I have his BigD Energy running now, and got his "Krux" mix-pack for Christmas - 3 different fem beans of all six Ethos Cookies crosses that made the cut.

I think his marketing ideas are pretty cool. Still haven't smoked a single nug of his stuff but I like his "philosophy?" on breeding. Seems like stuff I want to smoke.

Last edited:

Romeo Scragg

Dropping my next small set of beans tomorrow and a Grandpa's Stash R2 and a Member Berry are in the mix. I have his BigD Energy running now, and got his "Krux" mix-pack for Christmas - 3 different fem beans of all six Ethos Cookies crosses that made the cut.

I think his marketing ideas are pretty cool. Still haven't smoked a single nug of his stuff but I like his "philosophy?" on breeding. Seems like stuff I want to smoke.
I haven't tried any either but I'm looking forward to the Gps. I've had my fill of stretchy, viney low yielding, can't even hold themselves up og kushes. I'm hoping to find keepers in the 'stash and the skunk hero to make my first dogpatch crosses with.

Romeo Scragg

I'd like to hear how your reusing that perlite. That was the thing that made me give up on it. Having to dispose of the perlite.
that's funny. Having to dispose of soil was what led me to hempy.
I get maybe 45% -50% back just by letting the bucket dry completely and giving the root ball a good shake over a big plastic tote. Throw away the rootball or compost it and rake the perlite a couple of times to get the big stuff out of it. I don't sweat the small stuff. Too lazy.😎

Last edited:

m4s73r

The Laziest
Well that sounds about what I was doing. I am also a lazy, cheap grower. In later years I found out about a enzyme you could mix with water and it would eat the root balls. Dont remember what it was called. I dig it. If I was in an apartment with limited space this is what I would proly do. Id use maxibloom over jacks 321. Less stuff/measuring.

Romeo Scragg

Y'all ever read any of the old threads on probably every big forum where someone would have an idea to improve hempys and hempy himself would come in there mad as hell and tear the poor guy a new one? Good stuff. He couldn't spell his own name but that never stopped him from larnin us sumpin 🤣

Dr Evil

I almost exclusively grow hempy and typically in 2L green pop bottles, but I have used 3 gallon buckets before.

I started using 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite but have been using only perlite lately....I am considering going back to using the vermiculite, or maybe silica.

P7060005.JPG

P9140002.JPG