Southern Ag vs. Hydroguard

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Thanks mac for posting your experience. Didn't know about the smell. HG doesn't smell like anything maybe cuz it's so diluted.
I think it's because they're actually a different strain. There both bacillus, but it's the name after that seperates them. I think the smell comes from the SA strain dying off. I have used it to treat mold issues and works pretty good for that. Safe to say you could spray it in flower and not worry about chems in your buds.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I think it's because they're actually a different strain. There both bacillus, but it's the name after that seperates them. I think the smell comes from the SA strain dying off. I have used it to treat mold issues and works pretty good for that. Safe to say you could spray it in flower and not worry about chems in your buds.
Cool been looking for a foliage spray for veg. Was thinking of using the bennie tea made with HG/great white/molasses. Just didn't know if all that bacteria flying around in the air would be bad to breathe in (more so than the typical pollution) or if the tent gets sweaty would it encourage more nasties once the goodies die off.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
They die off when it dries in foliar applications. I don't think it's harmful either or there would be some serious warnings. If you think about it we're using a bacteria that can multiply, if it was harmful that would be a huge liability to their company. It's crossed my mind too, but I'm pretty sure there's no risk.

One more thing I've learned about these bacterias is contact time with the air kills them. I try to get the lid back on the bottle asap for this reason.

Sc006

If I know anything. I know nothing.
I can't for the life of me find it. But I read some where the product I use z7 which is enzymes, if you foliar spray the z7 and your product is tested it will come up as bacteria. But it went on to say it wasn't harmful. Wish I could find it. I don't how helpful that was lol 😆

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
I can't for the life of me find it. But I read some where the product I use z7 which is enzymes, if you foliar spray the z7 and your product is tested it will come up as bacteria. But it went on to say it wasn't harmful. Wish I could find it. I don't how helpful that was lol 😆
I just looked this stuff up and I have no idea about it having bacteria. But it looks like it might be just what I need to keep my blumats running proper. Thanks for dropping that.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Great info macsnax. Your actual tested use, obsevations and results are much appreciated.

Though both are Bacillus amyoliquefaciens. SA's is strain D747 and hydroguard is proprietary and not listed.

Yup spyralout, I think you are right that HG has no smell because it is such a low concentration.

Every Bacillus I know of in a liquid application or as a contaminant in another cultured medium smells pretty strong when it is in a high concentration. Not that ya wanna sniff it, but its obvious hehe.

Serenade... yuck! Subtillis often like rotten apples or burnt bacon ( It is used in some fermentation processes)
The dry spores in dry applications not so much until it germs and grows and that depends on the medium.

The SA, is relatively safe , however some can/will experience an allergic reaction to exposure. So just use carfeully when spraying.

Z7 sds: https://flyingskull.net/Dnld/z7-SDS.pdf

Last edited:

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Great info macsnax. Your actual tested use, obsevations and results are much appreciated.

Though both are Bacillus amyoliquefaciens. SA's is strain D747 and hydroguard is proprietary and not listed.

Yup spyralout, I think you are right that HG has no smell because it is such a low concentration.

Every Bacillus I know of in a liquid application or as a contaminant in another cultured medium smells pretty strong when it is in a high concentration. Not that ya wanna sniff it, but its obvious hehe.

Serenade... yuck! Subtillis often like rotten apples or burnt bacon ( It is used in some fermentation processes)
The dry spores in dry applications not so much until it germs and grows and that depends on the medium.

The SA, is relatively safe , however some can/will experience an allergic reaction to exposure. So just use carfeully when spraying.

No problem man. The biggest reason I'm on forums is to learn and spread good info. I've seen you posting here and riu, you seem like a pretty informed guy yourself.

Last edited:

jpcyan

Really Active Member
Appreciate the compliment :) I see the same in you and others here especially. Riu.. mm somewhat, but so jammed with misinformation, off topic, and pointless posts, it just detracts from the real info.
Most of my info on bacteria is from my mycological adventures and offshoots of that.
I am licensed in my state for residential/ commercial/ agricultural pest control and took courses at Purdue University to achieve that. So I read a lot, and experimented some hehe.
I find the msds and sds stuff more factual than the ads on hydro sites or even the manufacturers descriptions at times.
Bacteria is some interesting stuff. I certainly have a love /hate relationship with it ;).

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Appreciate the compliment :) I see the same in you and others here especially. Riu.. mm somewhat, but so jammed with misinformation, off topic, and pointless posts, it just detracts from the real info.
Most of my info on bacteria is from my mycological adventures and offshoots of that.
I am licensed in my state for residential/ commercial/ agricultural pest control and took courses at Purdue University to achieve that. So I read a lot, and experimented some hehe.
I find the msds and sds stuff more factual than the ads on hydro sites or even the manufacturers descriptions at times.
Bacteria is some interesting stuff. I certainly have a love /hate relationship with it ;).
Yeah I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about this stuff than I do, lol. I'm actually getting into growing shrooms here pretty soon. Would you mind if I message you down the road if I need some advice?

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨

Thank you Prof. cyan that was a good piece of info there. Just like with our beloved weed, different strains have different characteristics and although as a whole perform similarly, can have marked differences in quality and effect. Good stuff myco-master!

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
They die off when it dries in foliar applications. I don't think it's harmful either or there would be some serious warnings. If you think about it we're using a bacteria that can multiply, if it was harmful that would be a huge liability to their company. It's crossed my mind too, but I'm pretty sure there's no risk.

One more thing I've learned about these bacterias is contact time with the air kills them. I try to get the lid back on the bottle asap for this reason.
I put some plastic wrap over the hole then put the cap on. Might put some Teflon tape around the threads. With some of my intended plans, I will be needing much more of this stuff in the somewhat near future.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
hahah prof!. You guys give me a smile every day. You are too kind and making me sound much more intelligent than I am hehe. Just learning along the way and finding "Paradise" one of the best tools to do so.

Anytime @ macsnax, if i can answer I will, If i cant, I can probably point ya in the right direction. :) I can for sure tell ya ways to failure,:LOL: but that's how ya learn i guess.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
hahah prof!. You guys give me a smile every day. You are too kind and making me sound much more intelligent than I am hehe. Just learning along the way and finding "Paradise" one of the best tools to do so.

Anytime @ macsnax, if i can answer I will, If i cant, I can probably point ya in the right direction. :) I can for sure tell ya ways to failure,:LOL: but that's how ya learn i guess.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison + all of us who learn from our mistakes. You want to succeed? Double your failure rate 😉

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN

Much appreciated, I've been doing my homework. But when it comes down to it, I'm a noob in this category.