Soil nutrients

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The FF Happy Frog dry stuff has 5 different ones. On the bags it recommends more food at longer intervals. Like tablespoons per gallon of soil every month. I reduced it to teaspoons per gallon and go by the ppm of the runoff when to feed next - usually 2-3 waterings in between.

My schedule is basically based on the plants, not the calendar. The "first feed" is just that - whenever the plants need it. usually 3-4 weeks. I don't do the veg one because I flip at 4-6 weeks. The next feed is "flip" :sneaky:
After that, when they need food I look at the plant.
1597372073034.png

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I also use a cane sweetener in flower. I have the "Sweet" from botanicare but am going to switch to molasses when that runs out. It is not to make the buds sweeter as much as it is to feed the microbes.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I'm sick of adding acidic flower nutes to get to 1200 ppm and then having to add 2 tablespoons plus of PH UP to even it all out.

Dyna-Gro user here. Love the nutes but hate the acidic flower nutes. I can put a tablespoon of Grow and a tablespoon of Foliage pro into 3 gallons of water and 1 little teaspoon of PH UP will get it to 6.5. Put in a tablespoon of Flower nutes and add the same amount of PH UP to get it to 6.5. Add a tablespoon of Mag-Pro and add another tablespoon of PH UP to the mix to even it out.

Not happy about having to use so much PH UP. My R/O water is a 7.
Its weird how it reacts to RO water....i found it slightly better using 1 gallon of tap and 4 gallons of RO water but the bloom product with the higher P rating 5 gallons at 1000 TDS would hit 4.1 PH..I have never seen anything like it.

Works like a champ you just need some strong ass ph up

I started using top dress in soil and i like it a lot...add it every 3 or 4 weeks and just water it. So far zero deficincies.

You could buy it all yourself but it comes in a sack. Couldnt be easier AND i can keep my coco and my soil nutes separate.

Ingredients: fish bone meal, dolomitic lime, wollastonite, basalt rock dust, alfalfa meal, gypsum, kelp, blood meal, potash, humid acid

D

Deleted member 60

Started using Roots "Terp Tea" bloom recently in the outdoor grow. It's micronized (100 mesh) and it mixes pretty well...even in a 55 gallon barrel. A bit of sediment leftover but not a big deal here cus I am in perpetual brew so I just fill the barrel and go again. Has a nice, fishy/earthy kinda smell. 40 lbs. for just over $100 bucks including shipping. I'm using 1 heaping cup per 55 gallon barrel for light feedings and 3 cups for heavy feedings. Lotsa 55 gallon barrels of mix in a 40 lb bag. The only thing I add to it is a bit of molasses at the end of the brew. Can be used as a top dressing as well.

Never been a fan of chem nutes in soil. Chem nutes for hydro...organic nutes for soil. I re-use my soil so I try to leave it better than I started with for the next run. It always blows me away to see all of the products in some of those feed schedules.....as well as the strength of some of those chem nutes. In my world...if you gotta "flush" it out it never should have been there in the first place. I DO use chem nutes here/there....so I'm not baggin' on em. they definitely have their place. I'm just >super< reserved and time them, if needed, so they offer an optimal bump and that's it.

but it's all good and everyone has their own way.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The top dress i use is organic...the soil too. I like that idea too being able to have even better soil next year. And the worms love it and such.
And just chop when i need to..no flushing required.
About 55 days until chop...2 more feeds.
I have just started recycling some soil since I use organic stuff. Before it went to tomatoes - not wasted, but I finally have gnats under control, so I am not as hesitant about re-using. I have sifted out most of the roots and have it in plastic tubs - fairly dry.

I am sticking to virgin soil to get plants to the 1-gallon stage, but then when I cull males I immediately re-use that soil for females getting up-potted - just makes sense. After that the only soil I have is post-harvest, and usually most of the nutes were eaten before chop.

I just keep adding to it and mixing it up, and since I can open the tub and there's no buggies flying out, I am using it for putting plants into their bigger pots. Should save a bundle.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think that since it is mainly the dry top-dressing I use there is really no need to "recharge" the soil. I gave it a fat dose of those liquid amendments with all the micro-junk in it to start with, then just regular feeding as needed.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For clarification (kind of) - the FFHF system looks horrendous and complicated. It made no sense to add that much each week, or to flush when using organic stuff. so I started whittling it down and simplifying
FFHF-e.JPG
And got this. The numbers are ml/gal on the liquid stuff.
1597449850908.png

D

Deleted member 60

I'm on year 3 with my outdoor grow soil. This year there was enough residual in the mix (600ppm) I only used humic and mychorrizae once they hit the 30 gal. pots.... and I didn't feed em with formal "ferts" for the first 5 weeks after setting them out. Just EWC/compost tea and the humic/myco combo. Now I'm blastin the fuckers hard...LOL....with all organic Terp Tea lovin'. Bought all of the Earth Nectar humic and Earth ambrosia/myco bottles the hydro store had left on the shelf @40% off yesterday.....that shit is like magic. Too bad they didn't put a cutesy name on it and have a cartoon character on the front or it might have caught on...(snicker).

D

Deleted member 60

Double post-a-thon...LOL.

Good to see you (I think) ditching the Grow Big and Tiger Bloom. they are OK nutes but far from organic. FF wants folks to think they are though..it seems....but either way.....the organic line is pretty good. Still too many bottles...but that's how they make their $$$.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
the organic line is pretty good. Still too many bottles...but that's how they make their $$$.
The organic liquid supplements are a good system. They all make sense to me when you look at the ingredients, and how they shift during the grow. Like fish early/kelp late. Plenty of cheaper options for most of the stuff in the system, but using a a few ml per gallon it really isn't that expensive for the ones that are 'proprietary'. They are diminishing at different rates, so I'll be replacing one thing in the system at a time - which I think is prudent. If something doesn't work - switch back.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Started using Roots "Terp Tea" bloom recently in the outdoor grow. It's micronized (100 mesh) and it mixes pretty well...even in a 55 gallon barrel. A bit of sediment leftover but not a big deal here cus I am in perpetual brew so I just fill the barrel and go again. Has a nice, fishy/earthy kinda smell. 40 lbs. for just over $100 bucks including shipping. I'm using 1 heaping cup per 55 gallon barrel for light feedings and 3 cups for heavy feedings. Lotsa 55 gallon barrels of mix in a 40 lb bag. The only thing I add to it is a bit of molasses at the end of the brew. Can be used as a top dressing as well.

Never been a fan of chem nutes in soil. Chem nutes for hydro...organic nutes for soil. I re-use my soil so I try to leave it better than I started with for the next run. It always blows me away to see all of the products in some of those feed schedules.....as well as the strength of some of those chem nutes. In my world...if you gotta "flush" it out it never should have been there in the first place. I DO use chem nutes here/there....so I'm not baggin' on em. they definitely have their place. I'm just >super< reserved and time them, if needed, so they offer an optimal bump and that's it.

but it's all good and everyone has their own way.
I use both the Veg and Bloom Terp Teas as my tea base. I love them both, I only make 5 gallons at a time and strain it threw a paint strainer and toss the sediment into my worm bin. I think that between the two terp teas, combined with the Craft Blend from Buildasoil and a jug of unsulfured molasses, you got yourself a complete nutrition regiment with 4 products that can take you from seed to harvest with little to no issues. Not to mention having you back reusing your soil almost immediately.

D

Deleted member 60

I have a drain at the bottom of my 55 gal barrel...so I pull the plug when it gets low and choose a victim for the remaining Terp tea sediment at the bottom. If you don;t drain all of that shit out.....it gets nice and sulphury/stanky for sure.

I'm definitely liking this mix. Don't see how a guy could put it all together for less $$$...and it would be doubtful you could find all of the ingredients in "micronized" form even if you could. Very economical. It's amazing with a 55 gal barrel just how much fert you need to pour in if you are going that route. I can eat up gallons of pre-made/bottled nutes in a few weeks. A 40 lb sack of Terp Tea will easily get me through this bloom cycle with enough product remaining for the Winter tent grows. I'm also starting to use the Dr. Earth products. That Starter fert has boomed my Heisen testers out of the gate. In conjunction with the added mykos and humic from the Soil secrets EA/EN...and the top notch genetics from H...shit is rockin hard.