RO water, filtration units etc

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
This was east coast sandy soil. They had to drill 330 feet to reach anything descent on the well. Those ppm's could be a little high could have been 5oo to 600. I just remember the numbers being way high. That's why i put the RO in. My wife made me dump a safe amount of bleach in the well every few months so it would not smell so bad. I have good water now tap is 90 ppm. I just run it thru charcoal then sediment filter and only replace those once a year now.
Mine is around 450 . Run it through my softener then through the RO unit it is 4 to 7. Huge difference.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
This was east coast sandy soil. They had to drill 330 feet to reach anything descent on the well. Those ppm's could be a little high could have been 5oo to 600. I just remember the numbers being way high. That's why i put the RO in. My wife made me dump a safe amount of bleach in the well every few months so it would not smell so bad. I have good water now tap is 90 ppm. I just run it thru charcoal then sediment filter and only replace those once a year now.
I want you water level to start with 😁

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
Sorry for the confusion 2 different locations. The 90 ppm is from a city water hook up. On the location that had the well was the high ppm. After running thru the RO at that location the water was about 10 ppm
Gotcha,. If it was 90 out of the tap that is usable. Just wondering. Sometimes I over think stuff. Thanks

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
No i don't think i made that very clear on that post. I tell you something that surprised me. My tap water in my current location is about 90 ppm . After i hooked up the charcoal and sediment filter( not RO) my readings were the same if not a couple of ppm's higher. After further investigation apparently this is normal. Does not make sense to me.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
No i don't think i made that very clear on that post. I tell you something that surprised me. My tap water in my current location is about 90 ppm . After i hooked up the charcoal and sediment filter( not RO) my readings were the same if not a couple of ppm's higher. After further investigation apparently this is normal. Does not make sense to me.
That's strange,. Maybe a water pressure issue. I would have thought it would change some. Charcoal will filter out clorine which is good. My tap is over 450 after softener and 4 to 7 after RO unit.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Does the unit have any type of water softener action to it or a remineralization feature of the filters?
And does it use DE (diatamtious earth) for the sediment filter? DE is a common material used in water filtration. It typically has a relatively high ph to it, like 7 to 9 depending on source. Just my thoughts on a possible cause of that, not sure, just thoughts. Lol
No and no @Jesse when i talked with the filter manufacturer they were talking about positive a negative ion's. Shit whey right over my head but i know the filters are working correctly. I just don't understand in my mind that the ppm's are the same and not lower after going thru the charcoal and sediment filters.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
No and no @Jesse when i talked with the filter manufacturer they were talking about positive a negative ion's. Shit whey right over my head but i know the filters are working correctly. I just don't understand in my mind that the ppm's are the same and not lower after going thru the charcoal and sediment filters.
That is a little strange. Almost like it is bypassing the filters.

Streetpro09

Tester
Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can explain it. Common sense would say it would be lower coming out of the filters
I installed a tall boy filter this spring and had same/higher ppm after. So I did a Google search and found something about the reaction in the charcoal filter can cause ppm to increase depending on minerals in the source water. Not sure but I've experienced the same thing. Deionization is supposed to help if I remember right.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I installed a tall boy filter this spring and had same/higher ppm after. So I did a Google search and found something about the reaction in the charcoal filter can cause ppm to increase depending on minerals in the source water. Not sure but I've experienced the same thing. Deionization is supposed to help if I remember right.
Whew! i glad some one else experienced this. As i am sure i had some folks saying whaaaaat. Mine only came out around 4-5 ppm higher. What was the difference on your ppm reading before and after.My filter rep said something about positive and negative ion's. Kind of went over my head and was relieved that it was normal.

Streetpro09

Tester
Whew! i glad some one else experienced this. As i am sure i had some folks saying whaaaaat. Mine only came out around 4-5 ppm higher. What was the difference on your ppm reading before and after.My filter rep said something about positive and negative ion's. Kind of went over my head and was relieved that it was normal.
I don't really remember. Just was surprised it wasn't a large reduction. Next time I'm bored I'll have to recheck.