RO water, filtration units etc

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Hi
I had a killer RO machine at my old address. My new address does not.

For now i will fill 5 gallon bottles at the water store but i want to filter the water here too. I would really like to filter all of the water with a giant dechlorinater. They hook up to your water after the softener (main to softener to filter to house water).

So all house water would be declorinated. But is that enough for using the water in hydro? I use autopots but they are the same general idea. And I will be making a planter or two that use water.

Our water is hard...really hard. TDS of tap water is 800 so i think a complete RO is the only way to go. and that house filter wont do shit but I am not sure

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Softener is a no no as well. Removes hardness and replaces it with salt.
I'm in the same situation as you but in high in sodium. I use a under the sink RO. Works well.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Hi

For now i will fill 5 gallon bottles at the water store but i want to filter the water here too. I would really like to filter all of the water with a giant dechlorinater. They hook up to your water after the softener (main to softener to filter to house water).

So all house water would be declorinated. But is that enough for using the water in hydro? I use autopots but they are the same general idea. And I will be making a planter or two that use water.

Our water is hard...really hard. TDS of tap water is 800 so i think a complete RO is the only way to go. and that house filter wont do shit but I am not sure
IMO RO would be the way to go with tap numbers that high. The one thing i am not sure of is does the RO install before or after the water softner. I would think before but just guessing.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Either way works. After you would be taking some load off of the membrane. Processing mostly salt. Pretty sure most RO have charcoal pre and post filters so 0 chlorine in the RO water.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Hi

I might be wrong but that 800 TDS sure sounds high for city water. Sounds more like a reading from well water

Prairiefarmer

Grower of mids
I luv my vertex puratek deluxe,built in booster pump,and digital output,its 5 stage 100 gpd. I emptied the last stage canister of di resin so its not zero output,plants need some minerals

Prairiefarmer

Grower of mids
I bought mine probably 7 -8 years ago,i had a reef tank and made all the water that went into it.It was from a popular canadian saltwater supply company,was around 350 CAN.on sale.I quick google search shows it listed at 329 US,but i never searched to see if someone had it cheaper.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I have a 10 year old SpectraPure 90. Looks just like this.....

You can also order the filters from SpectraPure website. I change every 3 months. My water comes out @ 10 ppm.
I ran one like that for several years. Worked well only thing i did not like about it was the water waste. I believe i am correct in saying it takes 2 gals to make one gallon of RO. Not that big of a deal though if you are on a well. I believe my well water was around 700-900 ppm's. Just hooked up the RO in and under a laundry tub.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Wow! I did not know well water could be that pure. Shit that's practically RO water.
Depends on where you live. I don't live close to Rocky ground and mostly sediment. So not much calcium in the water.
I always have to add either CalMag or nitrate to the water or defiencies always show up.

I need to check again exactly the pH level but I do believe it's around 5.7-5.8 area. Other areas of the country they have much higher PH.

nc208

I ran one like that for several years. Worked well only thing i did not like about it was the water waste. I believe i am correct in saying it takes 2 gals to make one gallon of RO. Not that big of a deal though if you are on a well. I believe my well water was around 700-900 ppm's. Just hooked up the RO in and under a laundry tub.
No, it depends on the setup of your unit to determine how much waste water is produced. Typically most use a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of waste water to RO water. More expensive models can utilize a 2:1 or even a 1:1 ratio. Spectrapure makes good membranes but so does DOW. I use cheap 5 micron filters but change them regularly every 6 months. 700-900ppm damn that's high, I've only heard of it like that around Phoenix.

SCJedi

Synergist
A small boy with the RO attachment can be attached to a float switch and I believe is capable of 100GPD. I used whole house Big Boy that feeds a Small Boy w/RO and it keeps a 55g drum top off well. That drum feeds the Blumat tape I have in 30g fabric pots.

Just be prepared to have a reachable drain because the reject needs to be wasted unless you can find a use for salty water. A lot of units are about 1:10. One gallon of clean water for every 10 filtered.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
No, it depends on the setup of your unit to determine how much waste water is produced. Typically most use a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of waste water to RO water. More expensive models can utilize a 2:1 or even a 1:1 ratio. Spectrapure makes good membranes but so does DOW. I use cheap 5 micron filters but change them regularly every 6 months. 700-900ppm damn that's high, I've only heard of it like that around Phoenix.
This was east coast sandy soil. They had to drill 330 feet to reach anything descent on the well. Those ppm's could be a little high could have been 5oo to 600. I just remember the numbers being way high. That's why i put the RO in. My wife made me dump a safe amount of bleach in the well every few months so it would not smell so bad. I have good water now tap is 90 ppm. I just run it thru charcoal then sediment filter and only replace those once a year now.