RIU Expat Ready For New Experience

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
The canna coco ones have nice splits in them so you can more easily soak a smaller piece. I get the 5kg size and its not as easy to break off some.
Its way cheaper in bricks but a sack of coco fluffed up is a lot easier.

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
If you don't need a ton of coco, I'd go with what @gwheels suggested and buy a bag of pre-expanded and buffered coco coir.

If you decide to go with 5kg bricks, just be aware that a thorough rinse is always a good practice with compressed coco, even if it claims to be washed. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap that will wash out. A tip for rinsing is to put the coco brick in a 10 gallon fabric pot and either set it in a bathtub or outside and run water through until it is expanded and the rinse water runs clear.

Then after rinsing it until the runoff water runs clear, it's a good idea to buffer it. The way I do it, and this isn't the only way, is to mix up some cal-mag and thoroughly soak the expanded coco. Coco coir likes to grab onto calcium, so by buffering it first you prevent the coco from stealing calcium from your nutrients and robbing it from your plants.

AlienAthena

Super Active Member
The canna coco ones have nice splits in them so you can more easily soak a smaller piece. I get the 5kg size and its not as easy to break off some.
Its way cheaper in bricks but a sack of coco fluffed up is a lot easier.
If you don't need a ton of coco, I'd go with what @gwheels suggested and buy a bag of pre-expanded and buffered coco coir.

If you decide to go with 5kg bricks, just be aware that a thorough rinse is always a good practice with compressed coco, even if it claims to be washed. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap that will wash out. A tip for rinsing is to put the coco brick in a 10 gallon fabric pot and either set it in a bathtub or outside and run water through until it is expanded and the rinse water runs clear.

Then after rinsing it until the runoff water runs clear, it's a good idea to buffer it. The way I do it, and this isn't the only way, is to mix up some cal-mag and thoroughly soak the expanded coco. Coco coir likes to grab onto calcium, so by buffering it first you prevent the coco from stealing calcium from your nutrients and robbing it from your plants.
Do y’all mix your coco with Perlite? I saw someone say they used this somewhere, do you think it’ll be good? Zoo Med Eco Earth (3 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OSIHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F5a-DbQXPT333

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
Do y’all mix your coco with Perlite? I saw someone say they used this somewhere, do you think it’ll be good? Zoo Med Eco Earth (3 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OSIHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F5a-DbQXPT333
I've done coco with and without perlite. It works great either way in my experience. Up to your preference. With perlite will generally dry a bit quicker, so it's good if you want to do multiple daily feedings.

That coco would work just fine. Although, depending on how much you need, those bricks are kind of small.

AlienAthena

Super Active Member
I've done coco with and without perlite. It works great either way in my experience. Up to your preference. With perlite will generally dry a bit quicker, so it's good if you want to do multiple daily feedings.

That coco would work just fine. Although, depending on how much you need, those bricks are kind of small.
I was planning on doing 3 1.5L pots. I really meant small scale lol

Last edited:

DustyDuke

I run Canna Coco 50/50 with XL Perlite. I love it.

I’m running some hempy buckets next grow in the small tent, I’m bit low on soil. I’ll go 70% coco and 30% perlite. They have started selling 30L coco bags ready to go at Bunnings which I guess is like a Home Depot. Anyways I grabbed 5 bags and a few bits and pieces. They lady at checkout is like we are selling 300 bags of this coco stuff a fortnight and I don’t know what people would do with it. I responded with growing copious amounts of choof (Aussie slang for cannabis), with a blank face. She looked at me like you can’t be serious, so I shot her a cheeky smile and she was like I new you were joking. Then she said you don’t look like a choofer and in my head I’m like I am high as all F right now lol.
I also have a trade card their so I get 10% of bonus $9 for 30 litres of coco.

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
I’m running some hempy buckets next grow in the small tent, I’m bit low on soil. I’ll go 70% coco and 30% perlite. They have started selling 30L coco bags ready to go at Bunnings which I guess is like a Home Depot. Anyways I grabbed 5 bags and a few bits and pieces. They lady at checkout is like we are selling 300 bags of this coco stuff a fortnight and I don’t know what people would do with it. I responded with growing copious amounts of choof (Aussie slang for cannabis), with a blank face. She looked at me like you can’t be serious, so I shot her a cheeky smile and she was like I new you were joking. Then she said you don’t look like a choofer and in my head I’m like I am high as all F right now lol.
I read a long thing somewhere on Aussie slang, I was busting up at some of it. Choofer. :ROFLMAO:

AlienAthena

Super Active Member
It’s a long thread. It’s tuff
Yes but it’s nothing compared to the GPS thread on riu. That took me a couple of days to a week to get through. I think it may be easier/faster to browse on mobile; especially when you’re mainly looking at the pictures lol

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Hey Dusty good to see you over here!