Plants starting to die in coco

Glad to hear you got er figured out. It's tough changing up from what you know. Like i said, i changed to foliage pro and switched back what i knew immediately after i saw a problem. I'm sure you know the old saying, if it ain't broke.....
lol I wish I figured it out 🙂

I'm just cleaning the roots and going back to what worked. But I really really want to figure it out. I'll leave about 30 plants in the coco and up the ppm to see what happens.

I'm in 1/2 gallon pots and they take about 3 days to dry atm because of the slowness. Do I feed when the coco is dry? Or even when it's wet?

Streetpro09

Tester

I'm just cleaning the roots and going back to what worked. But I really really want to figure it out. I'll leave about 30 plants in the coco and up the ppm to see what happens.

I'm in 1/2 gallon pots and they take about 3 days to dry atm because of the slowness. Do I feed when the coco is dry? Or even when it's wet?
I don't grow in coco but I'm learning to start seeds and clones in root riots. I assume they are similar to coco? Anyway point was that I've let them dry out too much where I've almost lost plants. So, again I'm assuming here, that you don't want to let coco dry out too much but obviously don't want it too damp. There's a sweet spot. It's just a learning thing and only way to learn is to mess some stuff up.

Tvanmunhen

Just some dude

When I used to grow in Coco I would do four waterings a day. Anytime my Coco dried out I had issues. It was kind of like doing a series of mini flushes throughout the day to make sure that you have fresh pH solution in the medium at all times. Good luck!

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Seems cool room temp and LED are a bad combo. I’m thinking the light is intense but the root part of the plant can’t keep up. I seem to have the same issues with a cool room. PPM builds in the coco. I do runoff checks and it’s high. So I cut back but it seems to make it worse. 80f seems to work well. And give them a good shot of nutes with lots of runoff. I think some coco batches are worse for salt than others. I don’t usually rinse coco or precharge. But may have to give that a go.
Hope they turn around for you.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Ya know. That's what i read when i first started growing. The whole 5.8 thing. I was obsessive about it. Now after growing for awhile I'm not finding that to NOT be the truth at all.

Looking at this chart and several others if you were to leave ph at 5.8, that's the bottom of the uptake for Ca and Mg. Personally i run mine at 6.2 during veg. Sometimes I'll check and they're up to 6.5 or more when they are uptaking ppms.
I always fluctuate the pH. My plants rarely ever get fed with the same pH twice in a row.

I usually do something like 5.8, 6.1, 6.4, 6, 5.9, 6.2 etc.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Thanks for all the replies. I use Dyna Gro Protekt, Foliage Pro and Grow @ 550 ppm. I do not use a pen, I use the drops. I may have been a bit high @ a darker green than needed but the top was 7.0
I checked the runoff and it was acidic @ around 4 to 5. No idea how.

The coco is a prewashed and the make is Cyco

I watered one plant with just calmag and a ph of around 6 as a test subject to see what happens. I'll give it 3 days. If it doesn't change for the better I will transplant back into the Mother Earth.
you had 7 up top and 4 to 5 bottom of pot?
Sounds like your phosphorous locked out, shutting off Calcium transport. I think.
Causes, feeding plants too much food or not moving enough water to dissolve the excess salts/acid build up.
Is your pots raised up or sitting on the floor, staying wet in high acidified evaporating runoff?

Last edited:
you had 7 up top and 4 to 5 bottom of pot?
Sounds like your phosphorous locked out, shutting off Calcium transport. I think.
Causes, feeding plants too much food or not moving enough water to dissolve the excess salts/acid build up.
Is your pots raised up or sitting on the floor, staying wet in high acidified evaporating runoff?
The pots were raised and all the runoff was cleaned immediately. They didn't dry off fast enough at first. The problem started after the second feed. They looked fine after the first feed. They were all wilted and dying after the third feed.
Not sure what it was but I already removed all the coco from the roots and transplanted into the Terracraft. They look like death but still hanging on.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I always revert to less feed and less watering when my plants stall. Stay wet. I think they are telling me too much watering. But lately I’ve been telling them just fucking get with it. And up the feed and give them a good blast for lots of runoff. Seems to snap them out of it. See new root growth and they start taking it in. I don’t know if it’s salt in the coco or just not the proper nute availability with the ion thing with coco. Some days…..

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I always revert to less feed and less watering when my plants stall. Stay wet. I think they are telling me too much watering. But lately I’ve been telling them just fucking get with it. And up the feed and give them a good blast for lots of runoff. Seems to snap them out of it. See new root growth and they start taking it in. I don’t know if it’s salt in the coco or just not the proper nute availability with the ion thing with coco. Some days…..
I don't know much about coco. Never have grown with it.
I am strictly Pro Mix and dirt, so I never ph and usually never have issues unless I fuck it up somehow by being lazy and not paying attention to what my plants are telling me. I can usually fix any problem that arises, resulting in minor setbacks and a little "wasted space".
I keep shit simple, cause it ain't "rocket science".

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Put the pots over something you can collect water in (like a tub) or a drain.
Use the pH you want to water with, typically for coco 5.7-6.1 works best.
In the early stages of coco you'll likely want to aim for an EC of about .7, and a pH of 5.7, but .8-1.2 EC and lower pH might be necessary. If your plants don't have any nutrient burn, I would up the EC a little bit and begin run off checks.
Run a normal amount of water through the pot for 10-20% runoff. Collect the last few mL from one of the pots in a cup.
Test the run off. Likely your runoff water will raise in pH. The degree at which the pH changes will tell you if there is an issue with buffering. For example, if you water in with 6.0 and it comes out at 6.8, you'll want to flush again but reduce the pH of the water you input drastically to around 5.0. This will allow you to change the pH in the coco without using tons of water. Depending on how many pots you have, this may still require gallons of water, so come prepared.
In the above scenario, I'd flush with 5.0 or lower pH until the runoff in the pot reaches around 5.8. Then In the coming days I would continue watering my plants with 5.7--6.0 water. Most times in coco, I run 5.7 in veg, 5.8-5.9 early to mid flower, then 6.0-6.1 the last 3 weeks. Before I even transplant clones or seeds, I'll do runoff checks on a few pots to see how homogenous they are.