Plants starting to die in coco

I'm doing something wrong. Either a PH problem or not enough cal-mag. I noticed this a week ago and it's getting worse every day.

I usually ph my feeds between 6 and 7 so not sure if its been too high. I have not added any calmag since planting the clones.

They dont look good. Seems like they aren't uptaking certain nutrients.

DSCN1451.JPG

DSCN1452.JPG

DSCN1453.JPG

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I don't grow in coco but I'm pretty sure everything I've read about growing in it in the past recommends a pH of around 5.8.
I Grow in Promix mixed with perlite at a 4:1 ratio and the pH range I use is 5.8 - 6.5.

My contest plants and a few others got fucked over by my pH pen being out of calibration.

@Hotwired, are you using a pH pen and if so when was the last time it was calibrated?

I agree with @Fiddler's Green to test runoff, but you can’t do that if your equipment is out of whack.

Thanks for all the replies. I use Dyna Gro Protekt, Foliage Pro and Grow @ 550 ppm. I do not use a pen, I use the drops. I may have been a bit high @ a darker green than needed but the top was 7.0
I checked the runoff and it was acidic @ around 4 to 5. No idea how.

The coco is a prewashed and the make is Cyco

I watered one plant with just calmag and a ph of around 6 as a test subject to see what happens. I'll give it 3 days. If it doesn't change for the better I will transplant back into the Mother Earth.

Streetpro09

Tester
Thanks for all the replies. I use Dyna Gro Protekt, Foliage Pro and Grow @ 550 ppm. I do not use a pen, I use the drops. I may have been a bit high @ a darker green than needed but the top was 7.0

I watered one plant with just calmag and a ph of around 6 as a test subject to see what happens. I'll give it 3 days. If it doesn't change for the better I will transplant back into the Mother Earth.
From recommendations here i tried foliage pro once in dwc. Had problems with it out the gate and didn't feel like figuring it out at the time. Iirr mine looked similar and i switched back to what i knew worked immediately. I just checked and there's probably 90% left in my jug. I stupidly bought a gallon. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

pinner420

Finally on a roll....
Do a calmag foliar theres usually some iron in those calmag solutions and lift your lights till ya get her back online... i had same issue with bcuzz coir... they claimed pre washed however when doing the customery calmag presoak the run off was 2200 ppm..

Buddernugs

Full send….always

I tried dyna grow in coco and saw nothing but issues…….the same your seeing……also a very low ph 4-5.0 ain’t good it might indicate rot. When my plants are that size I’m pushing 8-900ppm get trip or flora nova grow. I can almost assure you they’re starving. Bump the pms up to 1000

Buddernugs

Full send….always
And 5.8 ph…….not 5.7 …..not 5.9………5.8 in veg trust me…….5.8 in veg has best nitrogen and macro uptake in root zone for veg…..anything over 6.3 and their going to starve

Streetpro09

Tester
And 5.8 ph…….not 5.7 …..not 5.9………5.8 in veg trust me…….5.8 in veg has best nitrogen and macro uptake in root zone for veg…..anything over 6.3 and their going to starve
Ya know. That's what i read when i first started growing. The whole 5.8 thing. I was obsessive about it. Now after growing for awhile I'm not finding that to NOT be the truth at all.

Looking at this chart and several others if you were to leave ph at 5.8, that's the bottom of the uptake for Ca and Mg. Personally i run mine at 6.2 during veg. Sometimes I'll check and they're up to 6.5 or more when they are uptaking ppms.

Screenshot_20231112_171833_Gallery.jpg

Here's another chart that shows it a little differently.

Screenshot_20210808-234600_OneDrive.jpg

Needless to say ph doesn't HAVE to stay one number and it's better if it doesn't.

Thanks guys but I already made my decision. I can't afford to wait around and see what method or food will fix the problem. I just go back to what was working before I changed to coco.

Oh, needed to add this info. The fucking roots were all beautiful white. Not a damn thing wrong with the roots.

I will do this tho.......................I will keep the ones that aren't as bad and use another food source to feed them with or raise the ppm like Budders said. I'll keep my cheap color coded ph as close to 6 as possible.

I already did the worst of the bunch that were dying. Took them out of the pots and cleaned them up as much as I could. Got them sitting in a decent 550 ppm solution with a drop of Superthrive. This should hold until I get my soil mix later today. Some are already getting greener after only 2 hours in the tray 🤗

Got 3 trays like this waiting for a new home. I got them in the dark tho. Turned light on for the pic.

DSCN1454.JPG

Streetpro09

Tester
Thanks guys but I already made my decision. I can't afford to wait around and see what method or food will fix the problem. I just go back to what was working before I changed to coco.

Oh, needed to add this info. The fucking roots were all beautiful white. Not a damn thing wrong with the roots.

I will do this tho.......................I will keep the ones that aren't as bad and use another food source to feed them with or raise the ppm like Budders said. I'll keep my cheap color coded ph as close to 6 as possible.

I already did the worst of the bunch that were dying. Took them out of the pots and cleaned them up as much as I could. Got them sitting in a decent 550 ppm solution with a drop of Superthrive. This should hold until I get my soil mix later today. Some are already getting greener after only 2 hours in the tray 🤗

Got 3 trays like this waiting for a new home. I got them in the dark tho. Turned light on for the pic.

View attachment 134952
Glad to hear you got er figured out. It's tough changing up from what you know. Like i said, i changed to foliage pro and switched back what i knew immediately after i saw a problem. I'm sure you know the old saying, if it ain't broke.....