Passing on of Genetics

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Are genetics and traits (such as phenotypes) passed on no matter what if a plant is successfully cloned? Say someone has a great cut of a strain and gives it out to someone else, who has limited experience and ends up growing mediocre stuff. This person takes clones and gives them out to another person, who happens to be a well experienced grower and consistently grows the dank. Will the experienced grower's plant have those traits of the original cut, or will some of the inexperienced grower's influence show up?

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Are genetics and traits (such as phenotypes) passed on no matter what if a plant is successfully cloned? Say someone has a great cut of a strain and gives it out to someone else, who has limited experience and ends up growing mediocre stuff. This person takes clones and gives them out to another person, who happens to be a well experienced grower and consistently grows the dank. Will the experienced grower's plant have those traits of the original cut, or will some of the inexperienced grower's influence show up?
From what I understand it is exact DNA copy but I’m not a doctor lol.
But then why the odd mutation then like a clone that only wants to do 3 set leaves. Hmmmmmmm...

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
The clone wont change. Genetic drift of a cutting takes a very long time to show. I've had cuts that looked terrible and brought them back and they are amazing. Leave it in the corner and forget about it and it looks like shit a couple months and take a new cut and it will go back to bad ass again.
Now if a cutting gets a weird systemic fungus or disease that might be a different story.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Both Heisen and I have legit cuts of the glue, but if you look at our pics they dont look exactly the same due to the way they were grown. Now if Heisen and I were to exchange cuts of the glue and each grow them out....both cuts will be just like the ones we gave away.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Great replies, makes sense, thanks guys. I've heard the saying "that strain he's got is all played out" not in reference to popularity but the quality of the buds becoming less special as the grower kept running clones of it for years, this sounds like genetic drift?
I feel it would take some years....possibly decades? Ive run clones from a momma (cuts taken for new momma every 6 mo. or so once original momma gets too big) for over 5 yrs on a strain and I never noticed a bit of difference in flowers from the original cutting from day 1. Im currently going on like 4 yrs with the glue with zero discernible difference of that from the original momma cut I recieved. Not to say one strain will be as exacting as another, but I've yet to experience it personally with any cut I've run for a stretch of time.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I feel it would take some years....possibly decades? Ive run clones from a momma (cuts taken for new momma every 6 mo. or so once original momma gets too big) for over 5 yrs on a strain and I never noticed a bit of difference in flowers from the original cutting from day 1. Im currently going on like 4 yrs with the glue with zero discernible difference of that from the original momma cut I recieved. Not to say one strain will be as exacting as another, but I've yet to experience it personally with any cut I've run for a stretch of time.
I have read that a cut can only be re cut/cloned so many times until it loses something from the original.
I never know what to believe online.
So instead of keeping a mom. I could just keep cutting the cut for generation after generation witjout any loss in vigor , stability, or potency? The exact copy?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
I have read that a cut can only be re cut/cloned so many times until it loses something from the original.
I never know what to believe online.
So instead of keeping a mom. I could just keep cutting the cut for generation after generation witjout any loss in vigor , stability, or potency? The exact copy?
Not sure why you would do it that way vs just keeping a momma?
Maybe if you keep taking your cuttings from a plant that was flowered, revegged, cut a clone, then flower that cut, reveg that, cut a clone & so on that I could see possibly running into the issue of genetic drift over a long period of time.....but thats also not the ideal way to keep genetics around if that is what your game plan is. Certainly not if you are aiming at preserving genetics and are concerned about potency/stability/vigor etc. I really couldnt say with 100% certainty though. I've never personally experienced it from any of the mommas Ive taken cuts from to start a new momma.

D

Deleted member 60

Back in the day when there wasn't any easy source to get seeds or cuts ('90)....I lucked into a cut that I then ran perpetual for 15 years.....so all of that talk....IMO.... is just folks who don't know what they are talking about talking about shit they never experienced. I just recycled moms/started over and kept going.

When things ramped up with Med and I needed more space to play I stopped keeping moms and started just taking cuts from the veggers 10 days prior to flower time...and when I saw roots on the cuts...the "moms" went into flower and the cycle repeated itself over and over and over again. (I did another 10 years or so of this method)

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
not all cuts are that stable, Ive witnessed personally in Oregon, wore out cuts and moms of blueberry, shishkaberry, blackberry, jaeger and some others. Grow em out, can't figure out what the fuck happened, grow it again, same cut, same thing, you can tell when they have drifted, they act just worn out, not slow, worn out. Supposedly coming from Genesis, Mr Shishkaberry hisself, lmfao. Just plain wore out. No matter how you grow, or let finish, no potency, look good, scope good, no potency. Why you would keep growin em when they have obviously drifted is beyond me, jmho

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I'd keep a chemD cut or clone goin for years, I know that. I got some in bean form, Im trying to liquidate my other beans, lolol. I see myself doin that with about 4 strains, from now on. I got to practice my cloning skills. I helped them boys take clones is how I seen it. Two or three moms they'd had for years, especially of the shishka, we filled those 48 banges 4 at a time for the outdoor guys and even that stuff, I think they used mainly for oil at the end, I grew the blueberry and skishka, smoked on the blackberry, said wow, I keep gettin seeds for now, lol.