Old ST1R’s F’ing Thread

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Hey Everyone!

I’m starting this thread to document my journey in chucking.

@SCJedi was very kind back in the spring and comp’ed me some Bodega Bubblegum F2’s.

I remember reading somewhere that when a cross gets to F7’s, It’s “mixed” enough to be considered its own strain. I don’t know how accurate that is, but my goal is to get these to F7’s.

On December 11th, ten BB F2’s got wet.

8483B0B1-DB45-4AFA-B1B1-9DC5F56C3366.jpeg

In 72 hours, 7 of the 10 had germinated.

34438D83-671C-4A2F-95B8-6BE777D5E53D.jpeg

And the 7 were put into dirt on December 15th.

AACA2EEA-C377-4C5E-8ED4-27791A9359CB.jpeg

After another day or two, three of the seeds had not yet split, so I cracked the shells myself. One actually germinated! The other two did nothing and were tossed.

72F66A44-C5A7-4FEF-A203-A1F0368E08A2.jpeg

By December 22nd, 7 were above ground.

47041EBF-CD91-44E4-8E2E-2B98EA03519D.jpeg

December 29th they’re moving along and the eight is above ground.

F9ED05A3-27EB-4D53-9958-6F427964E42F.jpeg

New Year’s Day. They’re getting too big for their little pots.

CD6103E2-3A02-481E-8A9F-41F0B512B3BB.jpeg

So today, January 4th, they were all up-potted to One gallon pots. I plan to leave them in these until they’re done.

25F0DE4F-56FE-4809-A9DB-1EC6A0B35633.jpeg

Hopefully I’ll be successful in my first attempt at chucking and I’ll have a shit load of seeds to gift, trade and further develop the line into F7’s.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Is there a reason you chose this as your first chuck? I know nothing of the strain, just curious why you picked it.
My only reg seeds at the time were these F2’s or some Island Sweet Skunk x Sour Diesel I bought for my first run.

F2 was one step closer to F7 than F1, so that’s what I ran. I thought it would be kinda neat to work the line and see what comes out of it.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
My only reg seeds at the time were these F2’s or some Island Sweet Skunk x Sour Diesel I bought for my first run.

F2 was one step closer to F7 than F1, so that’s what I ran. I thought it would be kinda neat to work the line and see what comes out of it.
Cool, I wasn’t sure if it was something you grew and loved or if it was random. I’ll follow along. I’d like to do some chucking at some point.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Bodega Bubblegum F2’s just one month from dry seed.

I gotta give props to this little 100 watt Spider Farmer light! Friggin’ thing is vegging these plants really well. Pretty impressed for being only 100 watts.

So I’m going to veg these until they get some decent side branching I can take for clones. I might even try and clone the tops, which I hear are more difficult to clone.

Speaking of clones, and since I’m not having great success using the Grodan Rockwool for cloning, I went and bought some Rapid Rooters and a tray yesterday. Hopefully they’ll work better for me.

CFE62AB4-5F6F-418C-8706-E7FAB6ED8497.jpeg

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Hey Everyone!

I’m starting this thread to document my journey in chucking.

@SCJedi was very kind back in the spring and comp’ed me some Bodega Bubblegum F2’s.

I remember reading somewhere that when a cross gets to F7’s, It’s “mixed” enough to be considered its own strain. I don’t know how accurate that is, but my goal is to get these to F7’s.

On December 11th, ten BB F2’s got wet.

View attachment 39821

In 72 hours, 7 of the 10 had germinated.

View attachment 39823

And the 7 were put into dirt on December 15th.

View attachment 39824

After another day or two, three of the seeds had not yet split, so I cracked the shells myself. One actually germinated! The other two did nothing and were tossed.

View attachment 39826

By December 22nd, 7 were above ground.

View attachment 39830

December 29th they’re moving along and the eight is above ground.

View attachment 39827

New Year’s Day. They’re getting too big for their little pots.

View attachment 39828

So today, January 4th, they were all up-potted to One gallon pots. I plan to leave them in these until they’re done.

View attachment 39829

Hopefully I’ll be successful in my first attempt at chucking and I’ll have a shit load of seeds to gift, trade and further develop the line into F7’s.
This is certainly an interesting project. I'm def following along. ;)
How do you go about bringing these to F7? Is it, grow and keep the best through 5 more grows, or is it more involved than that? How much time overall, are you planning on it taking to get there?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Well, only have eight plants this time, so it’ll be an open pollenation this time. That should produce hundreds if not thousands of seeds.

I’ll take as many of those seeds that I can fit in my tent and do another open pollination another 4 times to get to F7.

I hadn’t planned on doing any selection in order to “open the treasure chest@, but we’ll see.

I plan on doing only one seed run a year, so this is going to take a while.

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
I don't know Jack about breeding, so this is just a question, not a criticism...

Does running open pollination count as advancing filial generations? My assumption, which very well could be wrong, was that F2 and beyond implied selection of some kind, working towards narrowing down a select set of traits and homogenizing a line.

Regardless, this sounds like a fun project.

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member

With respect, I don't really understand this. If you are planning on such a huge, multi-year undertaking why wouldn't you take a little more time to choose some genetics that have significance to you?

It seems like the chances of something new and good could be far more likely if you took two strains you love, and started the cross from scratch. You would know what is good from each line without having to guess. You would have an idea of good and bad phenos and could save time choosing parents. It just seems by adding as little as 6 months to a year at the beginning of your program, your end result could be so much more rewarding.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I don't know Jack about breeding, so this is just a question, not a criticism...

Does running open pollination count as advancing filial generations? My assumption, which very well could be wrong, was that F2 and beyond implied selection of some kind, working towards narrowing down a select set of traits and homogenizing a line.

Regardless, this sounds like a fun project.
My thoughts are that by doing an open pollination, you are preserving more of the genetics of both parents because you aren’t weeding out (snicker snicker) some of the traits of the parents.

I really do not have the knowledge or skill to successfully select two stains and start from scratch.

IIRC, by F7’s, the plants grown from these seeds should be be homogeneous i.e. not much variation between plants.

If they turn out looking anything like the pic used for GPS’s website, I’d be ecstatic.

These are them now:

60A5E905-4F14-41B4-A92A-F1B28878F049.jpeg23E75C7C-86DA-4A8A-B515-AF23292BFA46.jpeg

Quite a few of the plants are throwing 11 finger leaves. I’ve never had a plant do that before. The heavy serrations on the leaves are cool too. All of them are exhibits Bubblegum on the stem rub.

Next step will be to clone each of them and throw them int flower.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Nice man. I've always admired how strategic, clean, and organized your grows are, from planning to execution. Looking forward to seeing the "veg" BOOM stage after you flip.
Thanks man! Appreciate the compliments.

These plants grow a lot slower than I can think - gives me a lot of time to think it through and plan. I dislike unorganized messy spaces, so I try to keep things neat and tidy. My room is getting a little unkempt after chopping seven plants, so I gotta do some cleaning

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Last night, I topped all the BB’s and took clones. This time I’m trying the Rapid Rooter or Root Riot dealies - not sure which brand since they were generic from the hydro store. Hopefully they take.

Its amazing how fast these plants rebound after being cut. This is them this morning.

61445695-D2A5-4F87-9537-87B38D59F7C9.jpeg

I’m going to give them about another week to veg, then they’ll go into the flower tent. I need to clean it first!

This is the clone tray.
66785DDD-F13A-4D65-8D99-14FCE0DA6D0E.jpeg