Oder control

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
that's crazy, thanks for the info I wont' ever buy a phresh filter, lmfao. I haven't had smell in a 4x2x6 tent with a 100 cfm inline fan and use a 200 cfm squirell cage exhaust straight to the scrubber. Ive had that tent filled with 18 one gallon smarties of chems and og's and never had the smell escape, in all the time Ive used it and its a vivosun off amazon. lol. When zipped, it pulls the walls of the tent in just a hair. My tent never raises above 80 degrees and the probs I thought were heat related were too dry of air, with all that air movement. I started watering less more often and that took care of that. Obviously a humidity thing, but Id rather it be too dry than too wet. My inline is four inch and my exhaust is four inch. Surely its not the cheap cool tube reflector thats not even hooked up to the exhaust, I just exhaust the whole tent from the wall up high and didnt ever have temp probs, I realized, just the humidity probs and too dry I can live with or adjust my process.
@Bodyne are you exhausting the scrubbed air from the carbon filter out of the tent or are you just recirculating the air?

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I have my scrubber outside the tent, I run the duct from the top hole of the tent wall down to the scrubber outside the tent. Sits right next to it. Funny thing, will heat the room up a lil, not bad, but the thermometer inside never goes above 78-80 degrees. I always though pulling fresh air in and not just recirculating was better, but thats jmo

Attachments

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
I've tried others. I also use a mirv 13 on the intake as well as an inline before the carbon filter. I've tried many brands. Same same. I believe dust is coating the outside of the carbon particles. I've taken many apart. I do live where lots of pollen is around from trees etc. So I change it roughly every 6 months. Maybe I'll try the brand you use...
those phresh are supposed to be very very good, I suspect me ducting my scrubber outside the tent is what is the big difference is now that ive read the thread a few times.

Last edited:

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I agree on the recirculating air. I have cut my draw on the scrubber down to 250 cfm from 400. Witch is pretty close to the single pass rating on my filter (6 x 24). I always use a prefilter as well. I hope that works. At first i was a little concerned my temps went up from 78 to 82 but i was able to get it back down to 80. @dandyrandy i had to google the mirv 13 to see what it was, I bet that is a bitch changing that filter the way you have it taped in place.LOL @Bodyne are you saying that the phresh filters are not that good?

Sc006

If I know anything. I know nothing.
e
A good pre filter will extend the life of the carbon by up to 100% or more depending on environment. Keeps the ac clean to adsorb odors rather than collect dust etc. I use hepa furnace filters that I change out as needed.
I was gonna say the same I use dander/smoke/pet furnace filters wrapped around the carbon filter from home depot they have carbon so some extra filtering too lol. They work well taped over the vents on the bottom of the tent to as well to filter the incoming air if it's passive intake that's what I do works great cuts dust way down.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
e

I was gonna say the same I use dander/smoke/pet furnace filters wrapped around the carbon filter from home depot they have carbon so some extra filtering too lol. They work well taped over the vents on the bottom of the tent to as well to filter the incoming air if it's passive intake that's what I do works great cuts dust way down.
I have been using the dust shroom on my intake although dust can get thru it because i see it on the prefilter over the carbon filter. I need to eliminate that and try and rig one of these hepa filters on the intake.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I just replace my filters every 6 months with the hps bulbs. I've gotten a year+ out of some but the cost is small enough that its smarter to just replace than risk the consequences.
Whats up LT. I am thinking that might not be a bad idea replacing every 6 months. I am going with a 8 x 24 filter on the next round. I don't know about them being all that cheap but certainly a bargain compared to the possible consequences

Sc006

I have been using the dust shroom on my intake although dust can get thru it because i see it on the prefilter over the carbon filter. I need to eliminate that and try and rig one of these hepa filters on the intake.
These are basically foam with carbon. I figure it's better than nothing. Especially with the amount of dust and crap I vacuum off the outside vent screens once in awhile pretty nasty. Here a link to what I'm talking about Nothing special.

jpcyan

Really Active Member
A big part of the effectiveness of a carbon filter is the depth of the carbon bed.
Sometimes you get what you pay for. The less expensive filters, while the same physical size, have half the the carbon as for instance a Can brand.
When you over power one of these there is not enough carbon depth to remove all the odor.
In the less expensive brands, the air is drawn only through the top half of the filter, closest to the fan.
Some brands offer reversible. When it starts being less effective , you can spin it around, swap the top and bottom and extend the use.
With a little DIY almost all of them are actually reversible.
I just buy new carbon and replace it as needed. Its less expensive than the equivalent new filter with same rating and amount of carbon.
When you go to purchase, check not only the size, but the weight, You will see why some are less expensive and less effective.
Great info @ Jesselikes2grow

Good luck on that odor! Though I love the smell myself, I dont like to share it with company
:D

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I made a box with a fan duct hole on the other side, and this HEPA filter as shown. It's easy to replace, just slide a razor blade along the edge. And I only change every 6 months or so as needed.
View attachment 19787
Large surface area let's airflow pass through with hardly any load on the fan. A 6 inch duct has about 19 sq inches of area, and the 16"x25" filter has 400 sq inches of area. Same ones as my furnace takes so I buy them in contractor packs of the HEPA filters. Removes even smoke from the air. Lol.
That was the intake of the room. At the exhaust of the room is the sealed in diy rechargeable carbon scrubber.
View attachment 19788
Theres another filter layer before the carbon, an electrostatic fine dust filter.
Then the 8" scrubber tube with a 6" deep bed of carbon in it. Removes all smell completely.
All runs from one 6 inch fan with the large passive intake for two rooms, or 435 cubic ft of space.
Under the load the fans moving about 60 to 70 cfm. Gives me about 8 to 10 full air changes an hour which is plenty for the plants.
Nice @Jesselikes2Grow it must be the weed that inspires all this creative ingenuity.LOL

Sc006

I made a box with a fan duct hole on the other side, and this HEPA filter as shown. It's easy to replace, just slide a razor blade along the edge. And I only change every 6 months or so as needed.
View attachment 19787
Large surface area let's airflow pass through with hardly any load on the fan. A 6 inch duct has about 19 sq inches of area, and the 16"x25" filter has 400 sq inches of area. Same ones as my furnace takes so I buy them in contractor packs of the HEPA filters. Removes even smoke from the air. Lol.
That was the intake of the room. At the exhaust of the room is the sealed in diy rechargeable carbon scrubber.
View attachment 19788
Theres another filter layer before the carbon, an electrostatic fine dust filter.
Then the 8" scrubber tube with a 6" deep bed of carbon in it. Removes all smell completely.
All runs from one 6 inch fan with the large passive intake for two rooms, or 435 cubic ft of space.
Under the load the fans moving about 60 to 70 cfm. Gives me about 8 to 10 full air changes an hour which is plenty for the plants.
That carbon filter looks pretty awesome. If you don't mind how did you build it?

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
View attachment 19787
View attachment 19788
Dude that's badass! I like the idea of less draw on the fan means you can run it lower (and quieter) to achieve the same effect. Looks like it vents back into another room. Is there an exhaust to the outside or all contained?

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I pull air through the dryer into veg tent 1 on 1 side of a T. The other side of the T pulls air from the Veg room into the bloom room. The T is on a 4 inch extraction fan into bloom. The filter is in the bloom room and a 6 inch filter extracts that outside.

I might make a giant one just to laugh at it every day. Too bad I don't have red buckets i would make it look like a solo cup! A winter project for sure!

D

Deleted member 60

@Jesselikes2Grow ..... Dug around and found that old Can Fan filter I told you about.....and an old inline "Probio" filter....either 8 or 10" (my fav filter of all time). Also have a couple smaller Phats.....one a 4 x 12.....one a 6" x 18 I believe. Up for grabs should ya want any of em. I don' need no filters now. Don't care first off...and as you saw....nobody close by to smell it anyway. Have 2 inline sound deadeners as well. Ah....those fun illegal daze where ya spend half yer time worrying....and the other half doin stupid shit to try to hide from the guys who aren't even lookin at ya......LOL..

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Jesse I think something like this for my garage would be very effective both in cost and function. Thanks for the pics and explanation. Will probably hit you up when I get there. (y)

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I pull air through the dryer into veg tent 1 on 1 side of a T. The other side of the T pulls air from the Veg room into the bloom room. The T is on a 4 inch extraction fan into bloom. The filter is in the bloom room and a 6 inch filter extracts that outside.

I might make a giant one just to laugh at it every day. Too bad I don't have red buckets i would make it look like a solo cup! A winter project for sure!
We have a restaurant chain in the states called firehouse subs. They get there pickles shipped in 5 gallon red buckets. You can buy them for a few dollars although you will never get the pickle smell to go away.LOL