Low Cost SIL Build

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
It is amazing how well they grow really. You can build a light at home depot ANYWHERE.
That is one of my primary guiding thoughts. I want to be able to do what I do, anywhere, from scratch, for next to nothing.

Currently I'm harvesting ~8-10 dry zips/month from the 3x3. That is way more than I can use.( I keep 4 flowering plants in it it at all times and generally harvest 2 plants per month.)

I could buy better(?) lights, but to what purpose? I grow to supply myself and a few people close to me, not to impress anyone. Not only that, but with all my eggs in one basket(ie one top end light), one power surge, fire, theft, etc and I'm back to zero. I guess the same could happen here, but a few bucks and a few hours and I'm back at it.

I love simplicity and self sufficiency, and for me, these lights feed that goal.

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
I had fashioned something similar from a 12 outlet power bar from HF and bought plug in light bulb sockets. Great for folks who aint into wiring, and it already has a on/off switch. No experience with it in flower but it kept mommas alive & happy for months only using 9W led bulbs every other outlet.

strip light.jpg

GCG

Dinosaur
looks as though it worked out well though.
They're nice little supplemental lights but no way I'll be able to use them come summertime. Already have to have central a/c and an additional portable unit to stay cool from June to end of August. They'll end up in a closet with a male and maybe the kind 750.

smokieokie

Insanely Active Member
So let's say I wanted to build out a 48 light socket build using 14w led bulbs to put over a 5x5 area. What kind of amps would I be lookin at with this setup? I'm no electrician, so @Jesselikes2Grow ? Can you help?

Reactions: GCG

GCG

Dinosaur
I just built another little one for seedlings and clones using all 5000K bulbs. Curious to see how it works compared to my 6500K T5's.

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
I just built another little one for seedlings and clones using all 5000K bulbs. Curious to see how it works compared to my 6500K T5's.
I look forward to your results. I use 2 x 10w 5000k SILs in my clone tent(18"x30" x36" high). There is a 2x5 socket rig hung at the very top, so I can add up to 10 SILS but I find any more than 20 watts for clones and I see yellowing on the lower leaves.

GCG

Dinosaur
Just hanging on cables with clips for test. Will adjust height up as needed. Right now tray with a short dome and heat mat under it temps stay between 78-80. No seedlings in it yet but should work well enough. Humidity is easy.
Generally keep my T5's really close to avoid the lanky seedlings so Im curious to see how that'll play out with this light.

GCG

Dinosaur
Way more intense than my T5's. Keeping it low wont work like I hoped either. Temps in tray are above 90 now pretty regularly. Assume with the added intensity it'll preform similarly to the t5 at a greater distance from the plants though. Time to experiment

Saboo the Shaman

Really Active Member
Way more intense than my T5's. Keeping it low wont work like I hoped either. Temps in tray are above 90 now pretty regularly. Assume with the added intensity it'll preform similarly to the t5 at a greater distance from the plants though. Time to experiment
Do you have a SIL in each socket? If so, you could start removing them until you have an intensity and temp you like.