Ichy all over please identify

SCJedi

Synergist
Yes, and with the limited amount of information that we have, I would seriously consider the problems from the last round to something unrelated to bugs.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Well i pulled stem from 5g grow bag today its only few days old i watered 2x enzymes as i was planning on recycling it. I found a bug its fast cant believe i caught a video .. my last grow was battling PM and got shit for yeild could this be the culprit
its been a while sinfe i took apart a root ball like this but it looks like its missing the fine horizontal hairs. I???

View attachment 1288
View attachment 1286View attachment 1287View attachment 1289View attachment 1290

Looks like some sort of thrip. Theirs crap loads of different varieties of them.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Check greengeenes garden root aphids video on YouTube. Shows the root aphids and what he does to get rid of them. The guy I knew with the same problem did basically the same thing but I didn’t make a video. Sorry I don’t know how to link the video on here. Hope that helps✌🏻

That's the main reason why I quite growing in dirt. Never bought any kind of dirt that didn't have aphids or gnats in em.

I had 6 plants I was keeping as mother's I just chunked because of that.

I even soaked the rootball under water for 48 hrs and they were still crawling all over the roots when I pulled it up.

Waxman420

Thanks for all the responses ive been staring at roots all week found another 1 in a chopped plant. And 1 fungus gnat larvae . (man that was creepy looked like the underground monster in that kevin bacon movie) . Chomp there goes another root hair .
Obviously these arent really a problem , damn curious where the little fucker came from tho my guess it came with an aloe plant or a poinsetta type of deal. Makes me want to take another look at hydro.

Matt

SCJedi

Synergist
While bugs don't really like rockwool the only time I ever got root aphids was in a DWC with hydroton.

Waxman420

I read some horror stories over @ilICMag people selling everything moving across town to get rid of aphids . Stories of them dancing on edges of pots at lights out, half the yeild. if they finish.

Glad to know its just my noob ways . I went with supersoil for the 1st time. I kept reading do dont let media completely dry on top it needs to be kept moist for the microbes . Well that fucked me right there, daily misting brought gnats m.f.ers.

SCJedi

Synergist
I read some horror stories over @ilICMag people selling everything moving across town to get rid of aphids . Stories of them dancing on edges of pots at lights out, half the yeild. if they finish.

Glad to know its just my noob ways . I went with supersoil for the 1st time. I kept reading do dont let media completely dry on top it needs to be kept moist for the microbes . Well that fucked me right there, daily misting brought gnats m.f.ers.
If there is anything I've learned about bagged dirt is don't buy the bag if it's heavy (wet)' and/or stored on pallets outdoors. The fix is to make a large steamer and steam your soil in batches or microwave large bowls of it for a couple of minutes and add back safe microbes. Honestly, fungus gnats and thrips are just a nusiance. They won't really take out a whole crop unless you really mess stuff up. I guess I have seen fungus gnats gut a sprouting seed before.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
If there is anything I've learned about bagged dirt is don't buy the bag if it's heavy (wet)' and/or stored on pallets outdoors. The fix is to make a large steamer and steam your soil in batches or microwave large bowls of it for a couple of minutes and add back safe microbes. Honestly, fungus gnats and thrips are just a nusiance. They won't really take out a whole crop unless you really mess stuff up. I guess I have seen fungus gnats gut a sprouting seed before.

I've been dealing with thrips for a while in my main flower room. No where else but their. I'll disenfect everything, spray it down with bleach, pesticides etc. 4 weeks into flower here they come. Start seeing the little grey streaks in the leaves.