Ice flush general thoughts and opinions

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The freezing temps are what cause lockout. Drowning roots would work as you described yeah, but would only be ok short term because at somepoint the plant would just drown I would think.

drowning = shut down root system
Freezing = lockout
But since it is not actually freezing the roots, I am guessing that this is not like a nute lock-out - and would completely fix itself after the ice melts. Unlike having nute lockout.

I can see the drowning part being an issue if you kept it on for a few days so that's a great point, though I think the constant moist soil and not the temperature would be the primary villain.

I think that for a one-time, "let the ice melt and call it a watering" treatment it is definitely not an issue right before harvest. As long as you let the soil dry before the next regular watering I don't see how it could be that harmful mid-grow.

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
But since it is not actually freezing the roots, I am guessing that this is not like a nute lock-out - and would completely fix itself after the ice melts. Unlike having nute lockout.

I can see the drowning part being an issue if you kept it on for a few days so that's a great point, though I think the constant moist soil and not the temperature would be the primary villain.

I think that for a one-time, "let the ice melt and call it a watering" treatment it is definitely not an issue right before harvest. As long as you let the soil dry before the next regular watering I don't see how it could be that harmful mid-grow.
Temporary shock is still shock. If you want to find out take two cuts and throw them next to each other. Freeze the roots of one lime you described and see if it keeps up with the optimal conditioned plant. Lol. Be an interesting test, I would absolutely think potency would be effected by this as well.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Temporary shock is still shock. If you want to find out take two cuts and throw them next to each other. Freeze the roots of one lime you described and see if it keeps up with the optimal conditioned plant. Lol. Be an interesting test, I would absolutely think potency would be effected by this as well.
This is definitely the kind of bro-science I like to play with. I live in the woods, and grow organic. I have tried different soils and treatments, but I think it's just something I'll have to deal with. There are definitely no gnats on this pot LOL
IMG_6902.JPG
I put ice about 2" deep about an hour ago and I figure it will be gone by morning. If that is the case I can't see that having any lasting effect on a plant with an established root system. How I am envisioning using it is after a gnat treatment/tent cleaning etc. topping off the pots with ice - no more than will melt in a day - just as an extra deterrent to break their cycle.

KMOG

This is definitely the kind of bro-science I like to play with. I live in the woods, and grow organic. I have tried different soils and treatments, but I think it's just something I'll have to deal with. There are definitely no gnats on this pot LOL
View attachment 56290
I put ice about 2" deep about an hour ago and I figure it will be gone by morning. If that is the case I can't see that having any lasting effect on a plant with an established root system. How I am envisioning using it is after a gnat treatment/tent cleaning etc. topping off the pots with ice - no more than will melt in a day - just as an extra deterrent to break their cycle.
If it’s melting into the soil and you aren’t watering over the cubes I really doubt you would Have any issue at all as the roots will never actually receive freezing temps.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If it’s melting into the soil and you aren’t watering over the cubes I really doubt you would Have any issue at all as the roots will never actually receive freezing temps.
Exactly! and it might keep the flying critters from nesting while it is there. But I think long term usage would be bad like you said.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Stoner thought before I forget.

For those of us without fancy drip watering systems, What about freezing some ph'd feed-water then setting it on a rack of some sort just above the soil :unsure:

In a pinch, if you had to be gone for a few days it might be worth a try. Bigger blocks so it melts longer. Like solo cups.

KMOG

For those of us without fancy drip watering systems, What about freezing some ph'd feed-water then setting it on a rack of some sort just above the soil :unsure:

In a pinch, if you had to be gone for a few days it might be worth a try. Bigger blocks so it melts longer. Like solo cups.
If you had a really hot room, this couple actually keep your lead temps down I think

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Cold air, Excess moisture, stressed plant, increased time I'm the dark etc. Sounds like a good way for them to get corona. That being said I domt think anything besides a long well planned grow will make more trichomes. Something like this may boost the levels in said trichomes, possibly pushing a earlier finish. Imo I dont believe very much of the bro science and if your growing good weed to begin with the risk reward ratio is too high to screw around with something that will net you 1% extra thc.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
The difference between chopping plants down and giving them ice water(which cause shock and will stop any production more or less and lock out p...which is great in flower.) is that your killing it because it’s finished, instead of forcing it to lockout nutrients before it is....
I don't think he is giving ice water , just putting ice on top . I mean that's what it looked like from the pic .

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
View attachment 56290
Def trying this myself. Always keep an open mind I say , that way u keep learning.

Paxgenetics

Humble Grower
Love all the feedback, good or bad or semi confused feedback it’s all good. All I gotta say don’t knock it till you try it and soak in all the info or original post before spittin knowledge. I do not water over the ice. I let it sit it usually melts in about 12 hrs . A slow cold water drip to the roots below and a early frost effect on the surface of soil. Plant is ready to be harvested by this point before the ice flush. I do know of some big names doing a similar method. GODSPEED :)

Paxgenetics

Humble Grower
View attachment 56290
Glad to see your givin it a shot!

Paxgenetics

Humble Grower

Love this idea I’m in the same boat, live in the woods , organic growing love trying new things in the garden within reason. I have a 20x10x10 green house I’m setting up outside :)

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Ive done this a couple times. The first time i did it on a soil pot i didnt see to much of a difference.

Now when i tried it with my diy octopots with airstones i seen better results from this. With octopots u got 2 root zones. A smart pot sitting on top of bubbling tote like dwc. Top was compost and perlite. Bottom rootzone was hydro.
But on last week of flower i filled bottom tote full of ice water and ice. Everyday id top it off with fresh ice n water. Didnt pour any threw top pot so it dried out good.
Doing it in a hydro set up wood be better Imo. It brought out a nice fade and a little boost in glitter.
Kinda telling plant that it needs to be finishing soon. Im sure sum strains will respond better than others.
Good luck nice to see others thinkn outside the box. Besides at very end its not like its gonna ruin the plant or anything.
Keep us imformed on your results. Interesting to see what others results come of doing this. ✌