Ice flush general thoughts and opinions

Paxgenetics

Humble Grower
97964AD5-6E70-42A7-8C63-80B412632A88.jpeg
Anyone else ice flush? What are your thoughts or opinions on it? I’ve been doing it for the last 3 years. I always go a 3-4 weeks water flush at the end of flower and when they are deemed just about ripe I ice flush and keep in dark for 2 days then harvest. I’ve really noticed a major increase in trichomes after doing this and of course it will throw some cold snap purple which I don’t mind. Love to hear if any of you do this as well and just general opinions on it. Godspeed fellow growers!

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
View attachment 56242
Anyone else ice flush? What are your thoughts or opinions on it? I’ve been doing it for the last 3 years. I always go a 3-4 weeks water flush at the end of flower and when they are deemed just about ripe I ice flush and keep in dark for 2 days then harvest. I’ve really noticed a major increase in trichomes after doing this and of course it will throw some cold snap purple which I don’t mind. Love to hear if any of you do this as well and just general opinions on it. Godspeed fellow growers!
Love it ! I am always down to try tricking the plant into giving me more. I do the 48 hrs of darkness myself , gonna half to give this a try at some point 😁

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
I had read about it before, and supposedly it does what the OP says.

As far as being bad for the plants, so is chopping them down - which is next on the calendar after the ice :)
Oh I missed the trichome part in the OP, thank you :) I will patiently await your results

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
As far as a gnat treatment - I was thinking that if ice on the plants kept the gnats from 're-homing' in just treated soil for as long as it takes for the ice to melt it might not be a bad experiment. If it is actually bad for plants that aren't being harvested in the next day or so it would factor against that experiment.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Oh I missed the trichome part in the OP, thank you :) I will patiently await your results
It's all bro-science anyway. Splitting the stem, days of darkness, etc. There's nothing really proving scientifically that it does anything. In this instance I was at the "harvest or water" stage, and figured what the hell.

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
I had read about it before, and supposedly it does what the OP says.

As far as being bad for the plants, so is chopping them down - which is next on the calendar after the ice :)
The difference between chopping plants down and giving them ice water(which cause shock and will stop any production more or less and lock out p...which is great in flower.) is that your killing it because it’s finished, instead of forcing it to lockout nutrients before it is....

KMOG

I was thinking more along the lines of it dropping the soil temp - like would happen outside in fall.
You can just not feed it for longer, if it’ll fade to purple naturally, it’s not terrible for the plant, you’ll absolutely sacrifice yield. Freezing roots will force lockout which will make green plants purple, but you’ll sacrifice something(yield/potency/etc) because you’re forcing a deficiency. I’ve also heard of growing the roots instead of flushing because it forces the plant to stop taking up anything through the roots, like in a flood.

imo if you want purple plants....grow purple strains lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You can just not feed it for longer, if it’ll fade to purple naturally, it’s not terrible for the plant, you’ll absolutely sacrifice yield. Freezing roots will force lockout which will make green plants purple, but you’ll sacrifice something(yield/potency/etc) because you’re forcing a deficiency. I’ve also heard of growing the roots instead of flushing because it forces the plant to stop taking up anything through the roots, like in a flood.

imo if you want purple plants....grow purple strains lol
As far as "freezing the roots" I can see it killing off the little furry carpet at the top where the ice touches, but as soon as it melts it is above freezing, and warmer the deeper it gets.

Good discussion though!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If it shuts down the root system temporarily because of temperature, that would force the plant to feed off the leaves - like not feeding right?

KMOG

If it shuts down the root system temporarily because of temperature, that would force the plant to feed off the leaves - like not feeding right?
The freezing temps are what cause lockout. Drowning roots would work as you described yeah, but would only be ok short term because at somepoint the plant would just drown I would think.

drowning = shut down root system
Freezing = lockout