High kevs worm farm

quiescent

Super Active Member
I haven’t yet but plan on it but maybe my method is totally wrong. It’s one full tote with two totes with holes in the bottom I put the food in the middle tote nd the tea is supposed to drop to the bottom from what my buddy told me. But he could be totally wrong idk 😐
google actively aerated compost tea

compost + sugar of some sort (molasses) + bubbles + 12-24 hours = goodness

You can add all kinds of things to that to give your plants what they crave.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
The blending and type of worm is the only thing you have a bone to pick about. You're trying really hard to clown on me when I was totally inclusive of your method. Read any of the threads on worm farming on ICmag, RIU, any serious organic gardening/worm farming forums and you will see that these are mere tips and tricks I was passing along to kev. You might not do it or deem it necessary but you'd be remiss to not admit that there might be a reason behind the extra effort/costs.

Blend it up so they can eat it faster, shit it faster and breed faster. Obvious waste of effort and totally doing it wrong.

Get worms that are fine being in a smaller container with little depth and happier than a pig in shit to eat what you give them quicker than night crawlers while breeding exponentially faster. Obviously a waste of money for the guy who needs 2 or 3 tubs working like clockwork that is starting at 0 castings, 0 worms. Terrible advice.

Add kelp, oyster shell flour and neem to some compost/peat mix so it's already being processed by the micro-organisms before it even comes into contact with the rest of the soil mix to be as available as possible for the plant. The worms love the neem, especially, definitely makes them breed faster. Total waste of time, effort and money for an organic gardener to try to make what constitutes 1/3 of their soil mix, a primary ingredient in all teas and top dressings as quality as possible.

Just because it's not your way doesn't make it wrong. You could get half the amount of lesser quality castings in double the time if that's what floats your boat, no skin off my nose.

This is basically what you've done:

Signed up for a giant pumpkin forum because you're interested in growing giant pumpkins.

Posted just about nothing that really contributes to the community in over a year.

Gone into the organic section where dudes that are growing organic 2000+lb pumpkins with their vermicompost are giving advice to someone who wants to grow 2000+lb pumpkins with vermicompost they make and tried pulling some childish red herring bullshit where you actually suggest buying "castings" or whatever they are is on the same planet as someone's whom took the time and effort to do it up all the way.

The why was laid out with the how very clearly and you ignore it. "That's not how I do it, ya'll 2000lb pumpkin growers are wasting your time. Here's my half-assery with nothing to back it up."

==============

You were met with no hostility. You decide to inject hostility, still get none in return... just a shoulder shrug and a "you do you"/"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man" and you still come back for more.

Why are you here? People like you puzzle me. I'll never understand how someone cares enough to grow their own pot, signs up for a forum to connect with other people doing the same but can't conceive how someone could care about every detail of getting the best possible product at the end of a grow. These are the people that should just buy, not grow. Grow less mids!

Honestly dude, I'm just gonna block you. You're a fucking clown. Seriously. You're not very bright, you've got no ambition to learn from others, contribute pointless drivel/shitposts and for being an old man you're not very mature/don't play well with others.
Nice of you to come down from Mt Acrapolis to spead your "wisdom" among us riff raff forum posters.

You call members here riff raff and advise they should be gone...it's only you that matters right? Go fuck yourself pal and your long winded diatribe.

pHup

Dihydrogen
CAN WE GET THIS BACK ON TRACK AND GIVE HI KEV ADVICE PLEASE.

Great share @Turpman hardcore vermiculture😳

Kev,
Don't rush to fit the spigot yet.
1: you ain't gonna be getting the volume of fluid that'll require a spigot for a while
(Consider seating your farm on bricks and just put a bung or plug on one of the box for drainage underneath.)
2: In the meantime, rinse out the bottom tote of the small volumes you get in the with chlorinated h20. I bubblemine for 24o just in case of anaerobic bacteria

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
All the stuff I have read is red wigglers don't like soggy bedding. i never let mine get to the point of water running out.
That being said the will live in wet conditions. I must have put a pot with some worms in or above one of my flood tables. Needdless to say I found a nice fat worm in my res when I shut it down probly been in there for a while😳

pHup

Dihydrogen
...I meant dechlorinated water.

I have a 3 (42L/10 gal) tote set up with European night crawlers started 3 months ago. I only bought 100mg of worms.
In bottom tote I drilled a hole for a tap and put a top hat spigot in but just bunged it with an old pen lid due to lack of need. I have put some pics in. The main feed layer will give me approx 1L/1 Quart after 10/12 weeks. In bottom tote you can see them little white specks I'm guessing they are something to do with flies but that's the other reason I bubble the leachate just in case, seeing as its going on crops for human consumption.

Attachments

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
...I meant dechlorinated water.

I have a 3 (42L/10 gal) tote set up with European night crawlers started 3 months ago. I only bought 100mg of worms.
In bottom tote I drilled a hole for a tap and put a top hat spigot in but just bunged it with an old pen lid due to lack of need. I have put some pics in. The main feed layer will give me approx 1L/1 Quart after 10/12 weeks. In bottom tote you can see them little white specks I'm guessing they are something to do with flies but that's the other reason I bubble the leachate just in case, seeing as its going on crops for human consumption.
The white spaces are spring tails.They float on water to.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
@High kev There are a few good threads about worm farms in the organic section of the forum. One I posted about "What to ask your worm guy" is packed with info about why we farm our own castings. I have kept worms now for 9 years, If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM. Your 3 tote system is a great place to start. Try to stay away from citrus and starches in a bin that small, that type of food will draw bugs and throw the PH of the bin off and the worms will die. In larger bins (100+ gallons) you can add just about anything as long as you bury it. We freeze or puree the food we add to smaller bins so it breaks down faster otherwise the food takes too long to rot, smells bad and draws bug/mice/rats and is something to be aware of. I urge anyone looking to start a warm population to read about it.

My fist 3 bin system got drug into the woods by some racoons

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Gonna have to do my research on these worms I have a lot to learn in the weed growing business I thought this was going to be an easy one but man it sounds complicated now lol.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Gonna have to do my research on these worms I have a lot to learn in the weed growing business I thought this was going to be an easy one but man it sounds complicated now lol.
Let's recap

You own this

and then you own this/these

and you want to fill the first one with worm????, lol. I think you should take door # 2 and fill those planters with worms. For starters..see that plank on the ground there.........do that all the way around each planter. You'll harvest that worm shit in the fall by rolling the plank. Earthworms..........eat down several inches, roots and all . You will definitely be ahead of peepee's 1 quart every 12 weeks. Then, after you harvest your veggies.......you plant covers......which are worm food and in the end.........all that soil will be priceless, all those root balls re generated into soil you can use again.

You can feed them table scraps as well, lol In fact ANY tablescraps you want, you don't have to grind anything, you don't have to sort anything out or exclude anything or be careful at all. They can stay outside in the winter :)

Worm farming is cool, whatever, you already got infrastructure in place to decimate anything you'll get from that 18 gallon tote. I see those posts are high enuff for another round of side boards.........you're loaded for bear, why mess with a tote?

One other thing about those boards that would surround your planters.........no more need for the weed wacker........you can run the mower right over the board and done.

But take it with a grain of salt, I'm not any type of internet guru, just somebody that grows a bunch of stuff and doesn't have time to waste. ;)

pHup

Dihydrogen
Kev,
ain't nothing too complex brother! You got all the bits just make a couple amendments and leave them to it.

I think we're all just chatting cross purposes...

: big scale outdoor Raised bed vegetable planter

: small scale indoor pot grown MJ under artificial light

The bellow videos are handy for both:

Take a peek at the substrate that's the sort of consistency your after. No it don't have to be coco coir
Totefarm

Worm trap for your garden
Trap

I'll be seeing you in UGC 2020.
Remember 3 is the magic number!
"Get out your silver polish kid, I'm taking the gold!"

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Kev,
ain't nothing too complex brother! You got all the bits just make a couple amendments and leave them to it.

I think we're all just chatting cross purposes...

: big scale outdoor Raised bed vegetable planter

: small scale indoor pot grown MJ under artificial light

The bellow videos are handy for both:

Take a peek at the substrate that's the sort of consistency your after. No it don't have to be coco coir
Totefarm

Worm trap for your garden
Trap

I'll be seeing you in UGC 2020.
Remember 3 is the magic number!
"Get out your silver polish kid, I'm taking the gold!"
So I just learned that the worm tea I was after is no good good thing I watched this video. I need to make the tea from the compost not just catch it and feed to plants 🤙

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
google actively aerated compost tea

compost + sugar of some sort (molasses) + bubbles + 12-24 hours = goodness

You can add all kinds of things to that to give your plants what they crave.

So I think I’m giving up my idea of making tea as I found my way was kinda like this video lol I will use the castings I make from the worm farm as castings and ale the tea another way