Hey Chuckers!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
JJ uses different males which I like. He never uses the same male , he just selects from every new group he is running. Imo it works better cause it allows the plants to drift into a stronger direction.
I think on the Stardawg he just had a pretty good idea what the parent was then crossed it with something completely different. Then selected a male out of the kids that looked the most like mom instead of dad. Then crossed it back to the clone-only and there ya go. But it was the huge lot of seeds he dropped to find that one male that allowed it to work.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I found another clue on that. Listening to a Hash Church podcast and the ChemdAWg special reserve that Aficionado bred had lineage that included the StardAWg from JJ from Top DAWg'

Not baggin' on JJ - the Stardawg was just JJ's version of the Chemdog. I think JJ did some selection and backcrossing of other stuff to find/make a similar male, and he is well respected as having a genetic green thumb. I think him being able to put out the Stardawg regs gave a LOT of breeders access to the male side of the Chemdog genetics. - but ask @Heisenbeans. Or @Gu~~~ since he was actually mentioned by JJ in an interview and is at least an outside part of the story.
I think I still have the High Times magazine when Chemdog was interviewed and have the pics of the first phenotypes he produced.

Bobby Legit

What smells like a skunk, Dad?
I have grown out the Chemdog91 from S1 seed and it is going to be an ugly-ish finicky plant that is well worth growing - and cloning if you're into that. Great smoke.
I'm not too proud to bed an ugly chick. Lol.

What kind of finicky did you encounter? I've heard that Chem does better in milder temps, likes dry/arid air and prefers a lighter dose of nutrients. Does any of this sound like what you experienced?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm not too proud to bed an ugly chick. Lol.

What kind of finicky did you encounter? I've heard that Chem does better in milder temps, likes dry/arid air and prefers a lighter dose of nutrients. Does any of this sound like what you experienced?
It has the tendency to toss sterile nanners early in flower - and mine ended up just looking rough. raggedy leaves that need a little something, lanky and needed support, and the flowers just aren't that pretty. - and I'm dropping another one next month LOL

Bobby Legit

What smells like a skunk, Dad?
It has the tendency to toss sterile nanners early in flower - and mine ended up just looking rough. raggedy leaves that need a little something, lanky and needed support, and the flowers just aren't that pretty. - and I'm dropping another one next month LOL
Ha! Thanks man.