First grow journal!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But when I used salts, I had one of those trays rigged up with a drain hose caulked into it. with a rack to allow drainage. I'd set it on a table and have the bucket under the drain spout.

When flushing it made it easier to check run-off

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Is it weird I rarely get run off?
For checking ppm and such mainly with organic, I try to get a little. With regular nutes they recommend 10-20% runoff. Like if you put in a gallon you should see a pint to a quart of run-off, or water more until you get that ratio. It's more about flushing out old stuff with the salts. Same with the actual flushes.

If you are easy on the nutes there might not be time for issues to arise from the excess salts building up.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Regardless of all that, I think the main thing for new growers is to make sure they get fairly dry before you water, and then when you water make sure it's thoroughly soaked.
Some soil tricks I use:
I use a little back-scratcher as a rake to rough up the topsoil so it absorbs immediately instead of running off to the sides. Might be organic thing, but my surface pretty much solidifies as it dries into this thin peat-soil-wafer thing.

As they get older and closer to rootbound I use a coat-hanger size piece of stainless rod to poke holes all the way to the bottom of the pot it's blunt so the end so it doesn't tear roots to bad, but it aerates the soil and allows water to get in there and soak everything with less runoff.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Regardless of all that, I think the main thing for new growers is to make sure they get fairly dry before you water, and then when you water make sure it's thoroughly soaked.
Some soil tricks I use:
I use a little back-scratcher as a rake to rough up the topsoil so it absorbs immediately instead of running off to the sides. Might be organic thing, but my surface pretty much solidifies as it dries into this thin peat-soil-wafer thing.

As they get older and closer to rootbound I use a coat-hanger size piece of stainless rod to poke holes all the way to the bottom of the pot it's blunt so the end so it doesn't tear roots to bad, but it aerates the soil and allows water to get in there and soak everything with less runoff.
Same issues here with amending the soil . I do the same thing . I water a little , then agitate the surface and then I do two more light waterings . I feel like it gets the saturation more effective. Slow watering , less run off for me .

Thomasbruh

Ditchweed grower
7519C4AF-F1DE-4554-B0F6-BC697928E24F.jpeg7D54561E-3C67-47AF-9B3B-6416D5BCD03F.jpeg
we have these at work since I do production for landscape fountains/waterfalls. But we do 2x2 basins and 4x4 I bacailly want to slap them in the ground and run it like a giant flora flex but for outdoor monsters and then a second pump pumping whatever water or nutes left into the basins into the garden so I’d have no waste!

Thomasbruh

Ditchweed grower
How much for a 2x2 container? :D
I have no idea lol I randomly saw the shit yesterday and fucking slapped me with the idea lol! I’m going to try it and see how it goes lol maybe set a couple up as diys and get rid of them for a project! Lol some a damaged while we makes them in a machine and some are damaged and unusable because of returns. I honestly make cement fountain boulders in some corner for 8 hours then go home😂

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
I have no idea lol I randomly saw the shit yesterday and fucking slapped me with the idea lol! I’m going to try it and see how it goes lol maybe set a couple up as diys and get rid of them for a project! Lol some a damaged while we makes them in a machine and some are damaged and unusable because of returns. I honestly make cement fountain boulders in some corner for 8 hours then go home😂
You’re an integral part of the system ;)