Dry sifting to make some hash

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
I used to do this often when I lived in Or and had my outdoor grows.
Used a 90 micron bubble bag.
The first initial shake and stir produced nice golden colored keif.
I could press these into pucks...worked well.
After a bit you would start getting a green tint of leaf matter.
This was used just to top dress a bong hit.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
My problem is heat and humidity, Stuff gets real sticky real quick once it warms up. I got the 20 x 24 screen set off of Amazon and was trying to figure out how to keep the material cold as it gets too sticky about 3 minutes after taking it out of the freezer and the trics start balliing up. I saw some videos of people using dry ice on the screens and then came across the dry ice/bubble bag tech. I think I might need to start with a work bag to get most of the trics off with the dry ice and then clean it up from there with smaller screens that I can move in and out of the freezer.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
The problem is it melts so quick when out of the freezer. Maybe rig up a battery operated vibrating screened in container or tote that can fit in the freezer. Turn the vibrator or squirrel cage motor on and let it stay cold the whole process.
A big "chest" deep freezer would be great for something like this. Hell, you could sift it right onto the floor of the freezer. Just don't spill anything and contaminate your final product. As HAF said in an earlier post, you can always wash it after you sift for a higher quality, might lose the terps that makes the dry sift method unique. So you want to get your best sifted and pressed, but/then wash if you have too much "green'.
Hope everyone is doing fine, not on as much these days to give you "young members" proper guidance. lol
Just teasing you all.
Anyways, keep your "kief" material cold from the hang/cure on. (below 62 degrees if possible)
And never give it a chance to stick together. Curing in the frig is always an option for small amounts. Take a long time to dry but doesn't seem to affect the quality at all.
Main thing, low degrees in the 60's and don't man handle the weed right before or after harvest, you're just busting more glands thus allowing the good shit to "ooze" out.
You can,
Leave the leaves on and hang upside down (protects flower) or
right side up(opens the flower to air) for less actual "leaf stick"
Leave it alone until it's done. Don't fuck with it!
You can always experiment with different ways, then decide.

Guess what time it is?
It's time for Chucker's annual "Breaking Bad" marathon watch week.
I'm on my 2nd round of habitually watching the show the last few days.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Swimming in kief over here. Got 24 grams from the last Sour Leda harvest a 40 from this current harvest. Just ordered some LowTemp plates to start making rosin. This 40g is again, just what fell through the mesh on my trim bins. I have 1/2lb of larf I can process as bubble hash too. Very curious what that will yeild.

1657836077852.png

Buddernugs

Full send….always
I got 300+g of 150 dry sift…..I’m looking to make old school hash that feels like silly putty in the hands. How do I go about doing that?

D

Deleted member 60

IMO, you'll need to get a finer screen and make sure what is there is all trichs. 90 micron or so is fairly standard for hash making. (top quality bubble hash is often, but not always, in the 72 micron bag) If there's any green/leaf material it will impact the final product heavily. It's not about quantity...and it's all about quality.

There are a bunch of vids out there. This is one of the first I found...so go deeper if you want more info. I think you'll find that heat is how you get where you wanna go with dry kief/etc. Heat and kneading/mashing/etc.

D

Deleted member 2835

Swimming in kief over here. Got 24 grams from the last Sour Leda harvest a 40 from this current harvest. Just ordered some LowTemp plates to start making rosin. This 40g is again, just what fell through the mesh on my trim bins. I have 1/2lb of larf I can process as bubble hash too. Very curious what that will yeild.

View attachment 117213
Beautiful color!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Since I snag a little trim dry sift a few times a month, I found a few little tricks. One is an aluminum baking sheet to work everything on, since it stays cooler than room temp.

The second is a good static-free brushlike for cleaning a computer with. The ones that come with a trim bin are primo, but replacement ones are outrageous. But that was where the idea came from. The ones I have now are a set of cheap-ass orange plastic handles with white nylon bristles. and they rock. can be cleaned with alcohol, then soap and water too.

Last thing is a big powdered sugar sifter with a stainless mesh. They are about 220-250 micron like the first "work" bag on the bubble bags. I do a rough sift through that once the leaves are crumbly to get the "first wash" goods, then on to the actual dry sift screens.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I got 300+g of 150 dry sift…..I’m looking to make old school hash that feels like silly putty in the hands. How do I go about doing that?
Take the 150 sift and run it through the 73 bag. Everything that comes through can be low grade/edible type hash. Keep everything on top of the 73 bag as your prime hash. You can even sift that again if so inclined.
Look up hot water rolling..........basically you take a bottle, fill with boiling water, then put your hash in parchment paper and roll it back and forth until the heads are squishy. Dry ice does in fact dry the hash so you may need to add a drop of water or two to get it how you want it.....not much water. Once done rolling you can do whatever you want with it, temple balls, squares, etc.

The most Important thing is to be chill shaking it out initially....go easy.