DIY Cure Box/Humidor/Storage

So it seems a lot of us run into issues once it comes time to cure our medicine. Especially in the summertime when temps are in the 90's or >. This thread is for sharing ideas on how to make a DIY cure box that will provide a perfect cure and environment every time that it is used. I think it would be best for us to create a cheap budget friendly version and a not so cheap version. The basic premises is to use a chest freezer and make it a collar like home brewers do when making keezers
and then rig a temp and humidity controller outside of our box. The big challenge it seems is once the air inside our cure box goes over 62% RH we then need to exhaust that air and replace it with air that is 60% RH and 60F. This brings dew point into play and that needs to be considered and ultimately overcome as well.

Cheap
7 Cu Ft.JPG

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
This is an interesting concept, but wouldn't it be easier to cure in buckets and then use the "keezer" for long term storage of the cured bud? I honestly can't believe I didn't think of this before. I have a 10 year old chest freezer in my barn that hasn't even been plugged in for years. I'm totally going to look into using it for storing my jars of cured weed.

This is an interesting concept, but wouldn't it be easier to cure in buckets and then use the "keezer" for long term storage of the cured bud? I honestly can't believe I didn't think of this before. I have a 10 year old chest freezer in my barn that hasn't even been plugged in for years. I'm totally going to look into using it for storing my jars of cured weed.
Salute TFC, I have never tried curing in buckets. Is it possible to use them with great results in a hot and humid environment?

printer

Super Active Member
Darn, age appropriate material, need to sign in to prove my age (no idea how it proves anything. I guess when you sign up fore Google you say you are aged enough?)

Anyway, started thinking about this a little more after I posted in the other thread. I had the thought later that you could have a heated box in the freezer to keep the goodies at the right temperature. Mind you the heater inside would be fighting the freezer, pumping in heat that then is pumped out by the freezer. Not sure if it would like it that much. Mind you a interior box of insulating foam is not too hard to make.

One thing I might have missed on the first video is if they adjust the thermostat on the freezer. I got the idea they did not go that far. I am not sure if the freezer thermostat would have the range to get the temperature at 60 F. Is this an optimum temperature? I am still new at this. You could just leave the freezer be and have an external controller with a sensor in the freezer to cycle it on or off to get 60 F (or whatever).

But then there is the humidity. First thing is a sensor is needed. I looked at youtube as Google had a friendly picture. The guy has no career in broadcasting but the module is one of the simpler one available cheaply. Need to calibrate the setpoint though.

Then there is a temperature and humidity sensor. No idea about shipping though. Oh wait, $6.95 in the US. Add another $20 to get it across the border for me.

"What is the internal setting off that and how to set it"

"To set or adjust the relay off temperature, press and hold the “-“ button under the display until the led display flashes then use the “+” and “-“ buttons to set the relay off temperature. Repeat the same process for humidity relay off adjustment."

So you can have independent control of temperature and humidity. Now what would you do with that? I will have to think about that. I will have to mull things over yet.

One thing to add, I was wondering if a bag of desiccant with a computer fan like the above will absorb enough humidity. Have it in a cardboard box, the fan blowing across the bag.

Last edited:
You still need the right environment but temperature is probably the most important factor since the buckets only purge the air once a day. I do something similar to this but with 1 gallon buckets
Cool vid TFC! Hmmmm... Any chance you could fashion a dowel rod across the top of one of those pimp ass cure buckets and then hang some freshly harvested colas from it till its full then seal it up and then slap that bad boy inside your old freezer that you put on a temp controller and set to 62F. If that works I think we have pretty much nailed the cheap version of the perfect cure box. Side note, already thinking about making a cedar box to use with check valves in place of a plastic bucket. :ROFLMAO:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Cool vid TFC! Hmmmm... Any chance you could fashion a dowel rod across the top of one of those pimp ass cure buckets and then hang some freshly harvested colas from it till its full then seal it up and then slap that bad boy inside your old freezer that you put on a temp controller and set to 62F.
I'm sure you can, you just may need to use a larger bucket to make room for hanging.

Darn, age appropriate material, need to sign in to prove my age (no idea how it proves anything. I guess when you sign up fore Google you say you are aged enough?)

Anyway, started thinking about this a little more after I posted in the other thread. I had the thought later that you could have a heated box in the freezer to keep the goodies at the right temperature. Mind you the heater inside would be fighting the freezer, pumping in heat that then is pumped out by the freezer. Not sure if it would like it that much. Mind you a interior box of insulating foam is not too hard to make.

One thing I might have missed on the first video is if they adjust the thermostat on the freezer. I got the idea they did not go that far. I am not sure if the freezer thermostat would have the range to get the temperature at 60 F. Is this an optimum temperature? I am still new at this. You could just leave the freezer be and have an external controller with a sensor in the freezer to cycle it on or off to get 60 F (or whatever).

But then there is the humidity. First thing is a sensor is needed. I looked at youtube as Google had a friendly picture. The guy has no career in broadcasting but the module is one of the simpler one available cheaply. Need to calibrate the setpoint though.

Then there is a temperature and humidity sensor. No idea about shipping though. Oh wait, $6.95 in the US. Add another $20 to get it across the border for me.

"To set or adjust the relay off temperature, press and hold the “-“ button under the display until the led display flashes then use the “+” and “-“ buttons to set the relay off temperature. Repeat the same process for humidity relay off adjustment."

So you can have independent control of temperature and humidity. Now what would you do with that? I will have to think about that. I will have to mull things over yet.

One thing to add, I was wondering if a bag of desiccant with a computer fan like the above will absorb enough humidity. Have it in a cardboard box, the fan blowing across the bag.

I wonder what a cardboard box, silica packets and a small fan inside a 80F 68+ RH room would do. I need to buy a new hydrometer that can track ranges and see if that is a viable solution as that is just too easy not to try.

printer

Super Active Member
Had another thought. The use of a cold surface to use the dewpoint to condense the humidity out of the air, would this encourage mold growth on the surface? Would any mold be able to circulate back to the product? I looked up mold and the silica and could not find anything, not that I was expecting to. Is this the same video as the above? I looked for the same title of the vid, sometimes Youtube blocks one but allows the other.

Different vid but same idea. Found it here.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

A. you can buy silica dessicant in bulk and fill half the freezer if you want.
B. Dessicants aim for 0% humidity. They don't stop at 62% unless they get full.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Fired up a fatty to contemplate.

The main difference between the original video and what we need is airflow.

If you are looking for a place to "cure" weed - as in the initial dry and cure during the first month of death, you need airflow. Whether it's burping jars, purging buckets, or having an rH controlled fan replacing old air.

If you are talking long term storage after that initial month for a long-cure, buy a fridge that you can set at whatever temp you want it at - the stuff's in sealed jars - don't waste the effort or money on something special.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It's in a different thread, but I bought a mini wine fridge for seed storage and all the weed that will fit. I actually have a few buckets and jar-lids rigged up for auto-burping but I don't use them. For that first few weeks in the jar I use a bigger jar or more jars than they need and an rH pack. And they sit on a rack at my feet while sitting at the laptop (old guy) so I never forget to burp It's also like aroma therapy.
IMG_5291.JPG
After a month I'll smoke test and get them into the smallest jars that will hold them and they go in the fridge.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Forgot to add it above but I was gonna get a dorm fridge since it was a better size and price, but they're shit quality for the most part, and they all have those frosty-ass freezer/ice tray holders at the top. I pinged on the wine fridge idea because those fuckers are snobs just like we are 😁

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Had another thought. The use of a cold surface to use the dewpoint to condense the humidity out of the air, would this encourage mold growth on the surface? Would any mold be able to circulate back to the product? I looked up mold and the silica and could not find anything, not that I was expecting to. Is this the same video as the above? I looked for the same title of the vid, sometimes Youtube blocks one but allows the other.

Different vid but same idea. Found it here.

Just sign up for a google account with BS information and that's all you need.

Not Given

Has chucked
dehumidor.jpg
$1.00 you know where, I have used these but they are slow and have to be used in a small area to be effective. They just drop the humidity a couple of points after several days. I haven't tried them in a curing container.

printer

Super Active Member
Just sign up for a google account with BS information and that's all you need.
I could, actually do have an account. It just bugs me to do it and I have managed getting by without it.

The above mention of using desiccant was trying to come up with a simpler way of using a fridge freezer, forgot about the humidi-packs (or whatever they are called). Actually a fridge might be a better idea than a freezer as it operates in the right range. The air exchange is a thing that can be solved with the tubing through the door seal. A wine fridge might even be better.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
The temp controller used for home brew is put on the fridge/ freezer to keep contant 65f. Rh in a fridge is probably really low. I will test it today to see what the high and low RH throughout the day. Im thinking a custom made box to fit the inside of the fridge/ freezer that can pull dry air in and pump humidity out with the check valve air pump setup to regulate the humidity in the box. That would take care of condensation as it would be exhausted out of the box and then the fridge/ freezer as it does to keep fridge from frosting up. If you leave food in the fridge long enough it will dehydrate. The box could be made of anything. Im thinking of making one out of core plastic like the yard signs, I used black core plastic to light proof my growbox. Core plastic is easy to cut and tape together, and clean. This box would be used inside the fridge same as I am doing with my tent and a fan set to pump out anything over 62%. A couple of fans in the box to keep the air moving and thats it. The only problem I see is making the inner "tent box" big enough. You may need to wet trim to get the size of the branches down to fit in the box. Basically just put a small curing box in a temp controlled fridge. The main problem a fridge is getting power inside the sealed fridge for the fans and airpump. This is why I think the chest freezer might be better. As Zaphod mentioned you could build a custom collar out of wood and really dousche it up!

Last edited:

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Another idea I have stolen from homebrew tech would be using glycol chiller like is used on fermenters, It blew my mind seeing some of teh micro brewers fermenting hundreds of gallons of ales and lagers in the Florida sun. But they use jacketed glycol chilled fermenters and that beer is straight chillin at the perfect temp even on the hottest days. I have seen small home brew chillers but they are pricey, around $700. I did a quick search and found a DIY glycol chiller. It involves tearing an AC apart. Not my thing.