Cloning research

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Checked today and several of the plants were very sad because of how dry the rapid rosters were. Pulled some of em out and saw a small root. But it wasn't white but has a brownish hue to it.
Had a couple more that were rotten and I tossed them. The ones that looked great the rooters had moisture in them and no roots. The ones that were dried out and plants looked almost dead had a root 😆

Streetpro09

Tester
Checked today and several of the plants were very sad because of how dry the rapid rosters were. Pulled some of em out and saw a small root. But it wasn't white but has a brownish hue to it.
Had a couple more that were rotten and I tossed them. The ones that looked great the rooters had moisture in them and no roots. The ones that were dried out and plants looked almost dead had a root 😆
I didn't have much luck with rapid rooters myself. Used em once, cussed em and vowed never to use them again. Root riots all the way here. Truthfully for cloning an aeroponic cloner works best for me.

Back to the rooters. When I first started using them it was for seeds and later clones. I learned early on with seeds there's a sweet spot for moisture. Very easy to over water and once they start to dry it seams to happen quickly. Once you find the right color the rooter should be it's not bad. Definitely a learning curve to start.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I didn't have much luck with rapid rooters myself. Used em once, cussed em and vowed never to use them again. Root riots all the way here. Truthfully for cloning an aeroponic cloner works best for me.

Back to the rooters. When I first started using them it was for seeds and later clones. I learned early on with seeds there's a sweet spot for moisture. Very easy to over water and once they start to dry it seams to happen quickly. Once you find the right color the rooter should be it's not bad. Definitely a learning curve to start.
I think all the methods pretty much work, and we get used to a certain way. Or you buy a large quantity of rooters and by the time you get through them you are good at it - why switch?

I am gonna try just sticking them in castings once to see what happens. Filling a small seed-starter 1020 tray insert with moist castings and calling it good would be wonderful. Using fresh aloe as the rooting hormone and having that be enough would be cool too.

I'll be trying that next time I take a mess of clones from one plant.

Streetpro09

Tester
I think all the methods pretty much work, and we get used to a certain way. Or you buy a large quantity of rooters and by the time you get through them you are good at it - why switch?

I am gonna try just sticking them in castings once to see what happens. Filling a small seed-starter 1020 tray insert with moist castings and calling it good would be wonderful. Using fresh aloe as the rooting hormone and having that be enough would be cool too.

You're right. There're lots of ways to skin a cat. It's all about finding your way.

I think your idea should work but I'm no dirt grower. I know nothing about castings either.

For a dumb idea, one could wrap each cutting in a paper towel or something similar and stack em up like logs, horizontally. Transplanting would have to be at just the right time when the roots are first nubbing out otherwise it would be a mess with the roots growing into the paper towel. Never tried it and probably never will. 🤷‍♂️😂

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Went and just checked the clones and noticed a couple of em getting dark green. Pulled one out and noticed roots!!

Pulled another one out that was looking bad and noticed 1 root coming down so I'm going to leave all the rest in the cloner to see if they take hold.

Lost 10 of 66 clones. Very good odds for my history of cloning lol.

20240601_093659.jpg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Went and just checked the clones and noticed a couple of em getting dark green. Pulled one out and noticed roots!!
they take hold.
I think that without pulling plugs out to check the first clues you'll see is either a little yellowing of the leaves and or the stem swelling up inside the plug. Them getting dark green should mean they are getting nutrients?

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
I think that without pulling plugs out to check the first clues you'll see is either a little yellowing of the leaves and or the stem swelling up inside the plug. Them getting dark green should mean they are getting nutrients?
Ya I watched a video on cloning by a guy who clones by the thousands and he said to give half the nutes of what you were feeding the mother plant. So that's what I did. I always feed at 500 ppm so it was at 250ppm. Said don't change what your feeding just half it

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Ya I watched a video on cloning by a guy who clones by the thousands and he said to give half the nutes of what you were feeding the mother plant. So that's what I did. I always feed at 500 ppm so it was at 250ppm. Said don't change what your feeding just half it
Doing living soil it makes cloning easier than seedlings since the food is in the soil. I have to use seed starter soil for beans.

Promedz

Zeus

Pulled another one out that was looking bad and noticed 1 root coming down so I'm going to leave all the rest in the cloner to see if they take hold.

Lost 10 of 66 clones. Very good odds for my history of cloning lol.

View attachment 137584
Next time set your feed to 5.7 ph at 250 and put the plugs into the water let soak. The key is how much water you leave in the plug. Not soaked so squeeze it but it has to be super moist. As your days go you also need to make sure plugs stay moist. Not soaked but moist. Replace the air daily so you don’t have no stagnant air and they shouldn’t die off. Then you have 100 percent rate.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member

i'll have seat and watch this!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've thought about doing a living soil. What does it all entail and cost?
there's an initial investment like with anything, mine was $300 for the 'take and bake' kit from buildasoil that made about 70gal of soil and had everything but worms. It was peat based and had lots of minerals and grains stuff in the initial amendments so it needs to set for a bit.

At the same time I bought a stackable worm bin (but you can make one from stuff you have) and got that going with 1000 worms from uncle jims.

I also put out cardboard and stuff outside and spent a few minutes each morning gathering local worms to add in. No clue what survived but they'rer still thriving.

After trying a few things I no longer top dress during the grow, except to add castings if I see any gnats. So my main expense now is Craft Blend, which is easier than sourcing all the ingredients and it's a good mix. I add a cup per 7g tote, some bat guano, insect frass and fish bone meal on top of what is already in the blend. I bought some sprouting barley cheap (buildasoil) and am growing my own now but still have a ton of the original sack. I'm malting it fresh now.

Hope that helps. If you have a yard or some land you can get into making all your own inputs.