Can O2Grow Replace Pumps and Stones?

PhatNuggz

Bc_ca

I will attempt to employ the O2G ONCE a proper root system is hitting the nutrient/water line

The coco strings are neither helping nor hurting, although, if they're not helping...

thinking through this mess, it dawned on me that I have one more starter cube that was gifted years ago. Im sure I tried it back then, but had long forgotten about it; Sure to Grow Cubes. I think the fact that it appears bleached (snow white), and clearly inorganic. probably stopped me from using them. Other than that I have no recollection

Too late this grow but will use them soon, unless someone has some negative 411 to share

Even though nutes were fresh on 9/5 I made fresh nutes today @ ~350ppm. Primarily V + B + a bit of CaMg/Kelp/silica and veg microbes

I will replace the 2 air stone pump with a 4 air stone pump which I have as 2 are barely covering the plants

Attachments

PhatNuggz

The roots still are not exiting the net pots, so yesterday, I gently removed the coco mesh, but there were a lot of roots exiting the bottom of the one inch net pots. I have no idea why they stopped growing, but I replaced the coco mesh wth small stones. I then mixed a few grains of Kelp in water + some nutes and have been dunking the 4" net pots in hopes of invigorating the roots. Tic Toc

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Looks like they WANT to perform.
I may have missed it earlier, what kinda light are these guys getting ?

PhatNuggz

Yep, on even has a few roots exiting the net pot

I don't follow your question 'what kinda light are these guys getting ? '

Im using Amare Technology SE 260

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Nothing more life affirming than little white feelers exploring out the bottom !

Yes, I was curious about the light fixture that you were using. I googled it, and it looks to be a very solid unit. I am interested in LED fixtures, although I do not own any.

I think the stars are ready to align over your garden. I really want to see those things win 🥇

PhatNuggz

Been unable to update as CP help/PW reset has not responded in 5 days. I took a guess and got lucky

All 4 plants are alive, more than twice as big as 9/20 photo.

Still, only 2 have some roots exiting the net pots. 2 are growing tall,

PhatNuggz

Lights on 24/7... who does that? Not me

temps are ~ 89*s BUT circulating fan is on during lights on AND tent flaps are open 24/7

Rez is kept cool < 70*s to help

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Who uses 24/7 light ?
Me.
I have found it to be the best way of maintaining appropriate temperatures in my frost vulnerable garden.

Every grower follows thier own path to arrive at a place where all ideal conditions meet.
Sometimes I think I have arrived @ the "right place" only to find there is inappropriate Ph levels in that particular village.
Sometimes the water is too hard. Sometimes the soil is no good.

It is like, there exists a giant combination lock on photosynthesis. If I can manage to line up all the tumblers ( at the same time ) I do more trimming than genuflecting.

Understand I have no intrest in being condescending. Yes, this basic stuff. I dont knock every pitch out of the park. I will bunt, and steal every base, if I have to.
I am on here everyday, wondering why my plants wont grow.
There is two miles of ditch, for every mile of road - I am just struggling to stay in the middle.

PhatNuggz

Gotcha

Imagine what would happen to your biome if you neverallowed to sleep. Quite similar for plants. Max 'on' time during veg 18 hours, during flower 11-13. Get a small room heater

PhatNuggz

Update Long overdue, but nothing much has been going on

Finally 2 net pots have roots exiting (see photos), but they are taking their sweet time seeking out the nutes which are < 1/2" from the bottom of the net pots, with a ~ 1/2" layer of stones in each to minimize wetting the cubes

The barely tallest plant (light green) still has zero visible roots, and yet keeps getting taller

I moved the 4th plant into a larger coco net pot outside the bubbler as it refused to develop roots, but still grew, though slowly with droopy leafs. Once roots develop I will gently wash off the coco and reintroduce into the bubbler

Attachments

PhatNuggz

I watched a Victor Schauberger documentary the other day. He's the father of water systems to move cut trees. Some good ideas on how to maximize RDWC or even a rez

This video might give some ideas on improving their rezes

Last edited:

PhatNuggz

Made fresh nutes. Sigh, my pH meter refuses to calibrate, meaning my daily checks were likely not correct. I have a dropper back up and ordered another pH meter from Azon.

FYI: I find the cheap ones last as long as the stoopid expensive ones

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Who uses 24/7 light ?
Me.
I have found it to be the best way of maintaining appropriate temperatures in my frost vulnerable garden.

Every grower follows thier own path to arrive at a place where all ideal conditions meet.
Sometimes I think I have arrived @ the "right place" only to find there is inappropriate Ph levels in that particular village.
Sometimes the water is too hard. Sometimes the soil is no good.

It is like, there exists a giant combination lock on photosynthesis. If I can manage to line up all the tumblers ( at the same time ) I do more trimming than genuflecting.

Understand I have no intrest in being condescending. Yes, this basic stuff. I dont knock every pitch out of the park. I will bunt, and steal every base, if I have to.
I am on here everyday, wondering why my plants wont grow.
There is two miles of ditch, for every mile of road - I am just struggling to stay in the middle.
Growth occurs during the sleep cycle, in plants and animals.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Made fresh nutes. Sigh, my pH meter refuses to calibrate, meaning my daily checks were likely not correct. I have a dropper back up and ordered another pH meter from Azon.

FYI: I find the cheap ones last as long as the stoopid expensive ones
I've used many cheap ones, one Oakton and one BlueLab my current one. The Oakton was far to slow but my BlueLab is on it's fourth season and running like a champ. I love that thing (except when I go to long in between calibrations :D )

Jewels

Bon~Fire
There is never a winner in that Ph debacle. The metre is supposed to replace the " gut instincts " -not pit them against one another.
Are you partial to a continuous ph monitor, or a spot check?
Growth occurs during the sleep cycle, in plants and animals.
I could discuss my bunny's crepuscular sleeping habits all day.
This is a whole different animal.

Phatty likes to fiddle. I admire that. Phatty makes his own observations. So do I.

I just hit my plant count limit, and I have a canopy vegging bigger than the mattress you sleep upon.
The last moment of darkness those babies saw is when they popped out the shell. I plant them coty's nude and blast them until the moment they enjoy thier first night of flowering.

I am learning all the time. I pester nuggz with questions because I want to get a feel for the room. If I can absorb the information, I can become a better grower. Heck, I would be happy to be a 'marginal' grower.

The best way to find anything is by cleaning up. I am going to keep poking around this garden because I know, after everything is in order, we are going to see some phat nuggz.
Blow it up brother !

PhatNuggz

Already seeing positive signs from changed nutes and adjusting pH, and returning to a technique I have used in the past. Will update with photos tomorrow

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Already seeing positive signs from changed nutes and adjusting pH, and returning to a technique I have used in the past. Will update with photos tomorrow
Great, I look forward to seeing them

There is never a winner in that Ph debacle. The metre is supposed to replace the " gut instincts " -not pit them against one another.
Are you partial to a continuous ph monitor, or a spot check?

I could discuss my bunny's crepuscular sleeping habits all day.
This is a whole different animal.

Phatty likes to fiddle. I admire that. Phatty makes his own observations. So do I.

I just hit my plant count limit, and I have a canopy vegging bigger than the mattress you sleep upon.
The last moment of darkness those babies saw is when they popped out the shell. I plant them coty's nude and blast them until the moment they enjoy thier first night of flowering.

I am learning all the time. I pester nuggz with questions because I want to get a feel for the room. If I can absorb the information, I can become a better grower. Heck, I would be happy to be a 'marginal' grower.

The best way to find anything is by cleaning up. I am going to keep poking around this garden because I know, after everything is in order, we are going to see some phat nuggz.
Blow it up brother !
I have a Nutridip continuous read but don't see a need to use it as the float over the life of my reservoir is less than or equal to .3.

I also enjoy my anecdotal experience over the time I've grown. However I must admit coming from a scientific background that I do have a respect for university based laboratory science, as it prevents me having to derive everything I know from first principles, thus saving me several lifetimes of work.

Essentially Cannabis as a plant has a Calvin cycle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_cycle

If you prefer a more technical treatment, this is a great article on how C3 plants (cannabis) vary from C4 plants. The take away from that is essentially it benefits from a dark cycle but can survive without one.

To give another overly broad generalization from animals to plants, although humans, as omnivores, can survive on Snickers, it's probably not our healthiest diet.

Anyway, grow the way you wish to. Many roads lead to Rome. It's only the scenery that varies along the way. Best of luck with your grow.

Last edited: