Can O2Grow Replace Pumps and Stones?

PhatNuggz

I am an experimenter as much as a medical cannabis grower for very high blood pressure. Consequently, I grow for very light personal use only, so I don't need to produce large harvests, though it would be nice to grow enough to carry me between harvests, and to hook up a few friends

There's an old saying "Pioneers get the choicest land, but also the most slings and arrows". My last 3 efforts blew up by week 3 when very healthy plants took a turn and died, so although I had my O2G for about a year, I never got the chance to see what it can do, and, to date I have yet to find anyone with an O2G grow thread, so I am on my own

Anyone who followed my last grow knows I have gotten and lots of slings and arrows. All from growers who have spent years dialing in their hydro methods and are not willing to think outside the box, and explore the new, and quite possibly the future of hydro. I get it, but why bash me for trying? I made a lot of errors that caused root rot, but none were the fault of the O2G, which I implemented last grow, but....

During my last grow, I finally figured out that the cause of root rot was having the water table too high combined with running a 30 lph 4 air stone pump 24/7 which agitated the crap out of the surface. The resultant splash caused the coco pellets and/or rapid rooters to get and stay wet, thereby causing root rot at the very base of the stem/root interface, which is inside the starter pods. This made the suggested h2o2 soaks impossible to kill the root rot at its source, however...

One plant from my last grow had enough roots for me to nurse it. I decided to use only my O2G 2020 (2 emitters) in <3 gallons of water/nutes- overkill, I know, but. Some 6 weeks later (with zero water agitation or circulation), it now has tiny but very nice tight developing buds with lovely white fluffy pistils, it's growing 'bigger' by the day, and it has a nice aroma. Problem solved. Now it's time to take the plunge, and start a new grow using only the O2Grow 2020

Today (08/01/2019) is a new moon, so I dropped 4 large White Buffalo seeds into a glass, with ~4 oz of a diluted mix of Emerald Harvest Root Wizard and Golden Goddess

It will be a few days before cracked seeds are inserted into Rapid Rooters so stay tuned

SCJedi

Synergist

I am an experimenter as much as a medical cannabis grower for very high blood pressure. Consequently, I grow for very light personal use only, so I don't need to produce large harvests, though it would be nice to grow enough to carry me between harvests, and to hook up a few friends

There's an old saying "Pioneers get the choicest land, but also the most slings and arrows". My last 3 efforts blew up by week 3 when very healthy plants took a turn and died, so although I had my O2G for about a year, I never got the chance to see what it can do, and, to date I have yet to find anyone with an O2G grow thread, so I am on my own

Anyone who followed my last grow knows I have gotten and lots of slings and arrows. All from growers who have spent years dialing in their hydro methods and are not willing to think outside the box, and explore the new, and quite possibly the future of hydro. I get it, but why bash me for trying? I made a lot of errors that caused root rot, but none were the fault of the O2G, which I implemented last grow, but....

During my last grow, I finally figured out that the cause of root rot was having the water table too high combined with running a 30 lph 4 air stone pump 24/7 which agitated the crap out of the surface. The resultant splash caused the coco pellets and/or rapid rooters to get and stay wet, thereby causing root rot at the very base of the stem/root interface, which is inside the starter pods. This made the suggested h2o2 soaks impossible to kill the root rot at its source, however...

One plant from my last grow had enough roots for me to nurse it. I decided to use only my O2G 2020 (2 emitters) in <3 gallons of water/nutes- overkill, I know, but. Some 6 weeks later (with zero water agitation or circulation), it now has tiny but very nice tight developing buds with lovely white fluffy pistils, it's growing 'bigger' by the day, and it has a nice aroma. Problem solved. Now it's time to take the plunge, and start a new grow using only the O2Grow 2020

Today (08/01/2019) is a new moon, so I dropped 4 large White Buffalo seeds into a glass, with ~4 oz of a diluted mix of Emerald Harvest Root Wizard and Golden Goddess

It will be a few days before cracked seeds are inserted into Rapid Rooters so stay tuned
I've seen this before and it looks like hydrolysis. Add a small amount of voltage to separate the hydrogen from oxygen in water. It commonly used in hydrolysis pits to neutralize acids and bases into salts and water. It is also how metals like iron are precipitated from solution. Do you notice any kind of precipitates in the nutrient solution?

Not to be pedantic but maybe just a smidge OCD. Today actually is not only a new moon but it is the second new moon of this lunar cycle which only occurs every 33 months. It is referred to as a Black Moon. A Blue Moon is when there are two full moons in a lunar cycle.

With that said I think that I will drop some beans too!

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
First I’m hearing of this.. if I powered em with a wee solar panel, hydro could be an option for me. (Consistent, frequent outages where I’m at) I’ll stay tuned and get edumacated. Very interesting

PhatNuggz

I've seen this before and it looks like hydrolysis. Add a small amount of voltage to separate the hydrogen from oxygen in water. It commonly used in hydrolysis pits to neutralize acids and bases into salts and water. It is also how metals like iron are precipitated from solution. Do you notice any kind of precipitates in the nutrient solution?

Not to be pedantic but maybe just a smidge OCD. Today actually is not only a new moon but it is the second new moon of this lunar cycle which only occurs every 33 months. It is referred to as a Black Moon. A Blue Moon is when there are two full moons in a lunar cycle.

With that said I think that I will drop some beans too!
yep, hydrolysis.

No precip, but I use ~ 50% less nutes than the nute companies recommend.

Thanks for the 411 on moon cycles

So far seeds have not cracked but oddly the shells have turned from pale tan to dark brown

PhatNuggz

Quick Update

The gifted White Buffalo seeds have not cracked in 3+ days

this morning I dropped 6 White Widow X G13 male as a back up

As a last experiment with this plant, I decided to change nutes from Hydroponic Research V + B to NPK RAW Bloom mix, which has humic acid instead of fulvic. It has no Ca, but the instructions suggest adding it, so I added some Emerald Harvest CaMg

What I don't like is the Bloom mix turns the liquid dark brown (even at half strength= 1 tsp/2 gallons, whereas the V + B is clear, which is great for checking root health

PhatNuggz

Neither seed set has cracked, so I decided to add a bit of the bloom nutes from my rez, oonly because of the DO

PhatNuggz

Sadly, I just threw in the towel on the White Buffalo. They were gifted without knowing the whys and wherefores from whence they came into his possession. They had no mottling, and were pretty light grey, but looked viable

Moving on: Mine have just started to crack

Boybelue

Super Active Member
yep, hydrolysis.

No precip, but I use ~ 50% less nutes than the nute companies recommend.

Thanks for the 411 on moon cycles

So far seeds have not cracked but oddly the shells have turned from pale tan to dark brown
Usually when seeds turn a dark color from dark brown to black, almost glossy looking, the embryo is dead. I only use pure water for sprouting seeds and generally wait until the first true set of leaves before adding anything nutrient wise, not saying that was your problem, but KISS, keeping it simple pans out most of the time. Good luck with the next round. I wish the O2G were a good bit cheaper, if they were I definitely be giving them a try.

PhatNuggz

all 6 cracked yesterday, bu the root tips were not extending, so earlier this morning I added a FEW grains of V + B and they are already reaching out for it.

PhatNuggz

Sadly, the powers at O2G are very secretive as it relates to using it for cannabis

On a positive note

Instead of just tossing the White Buffalo seeds I put the seeds in coco outside, and completely forgot about them. Well today I noticed one seedling in a very dry coco. Immediately gave it a drink of nutes maybe the others will appear too

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Sadly, the powers at O2G are very secretive as it relates to using it for cannabis

On a positive note

Instead of just tossing the White Buffalo seeds I put the seeds in coco outside, and completely forgot about them. Well today I noticed one seedling in a very dry coco. Immediately gave it a drink of nutes maybe the others will appear too
Man! I've seen this soooooo many times. I re-use my soil and have seedlings pop up all the time from where I've dumped solo cups or peat pellets in the mix. I've also threw peat pellets and other things outside and later notice a seedling has popped up. It may be a month or several mths later, and im sure the soil had dried completely at some point, then rehydrated, then up pops a seedling. Kinda crazy cause the ones I've tried so hard to sprout, using GA-3 and every technique possible, I usually tossed in my burn pile trash. Regretfully!

PhatNuggz

Quick update

Seeds I dropped on the new moon have not broken ground, so I dropped 5 more 2 days ago

Also, the White Buffalo survivor was in coco, but yesterday I gently removed it and put it into a net pot with ornamental stones and into the O2G powered nutes. The leafs have grown since

Here's a pic of the plant and the tap root

IMG_4765.JPGIMG_4766.JPG

PhatNuggz

New seeds all cracked with very nice tap roots, unlike the DOA seeds which only cracked but never rooted. All new seeds placed in the dead seeds rapid rooters- not pictured

IMG_4767.JPGIMG_4768.JPGIMG_4769.JPG

PhatNuggz

being gifted 10 Hindu Kush sometime in October. My source is well versed, a heavy smoker for at least 40 years. He rolls fat assed Js! I have shared a J or 2 with him; I take 1-2 tokes and can barely stand up. while, he finishes the rest. He retired recently and has ben RVng around the NW USA. These should be really high quality seeds, but I would be willing to trade 5 of them for 5 very high quality sat dom seeds, as I don't have a use for this much couch lock product

I researched HK today Seems like its not for people without significant pain One of the original landrace strains that precipitated the popularization of cannabis throughout the world, Hindu Kush is a potent pure indica. It is indigenous to the Hindu Kush mountain chain that forms the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. “true” Hindu Kush may not be widely available in the Western Hemisphere. Nevertheless, Hindu Kush is a relatively pure strain, simpler and often more potent that the novelty crossbreeds that continue to multiply in today’s competitive cannabis market. It is prized for its heavily sedative, almost narcotic properties and its highly resinous flowers. The THC composition of Hindu Kush is typically measured at between 15% and 20%. Hindu Kush is not recommended for active daytime use. Instead, it works well as a numbing agent for chronic pain, an anti-nausea treatment, and as a way to relieve stress and anxiety. Negative effects include dry mouth and eyes, occasionally accompanied by paranoia and dizziness. A few users have also reported experiencing anxiety from larger doses of this strain. Hindu Kush is particularly helpful for users with insomnia, as large enough doses can induce sleep.

PhatNuggz

All 6 are well above ground now

The WB was not growing and leafs were yellowing. I checked the water level was too low, barely touching the root. Topped off yesterday, no immediate signs

PhatNuggz

Today's pics .

The top photo is the nursery. I hand feed with nutes from the rez so they are O2G enhanced . I keep nutes just below the top of the stones to encourage the tap root to seek it out. After taking this pic, I carefully removed the shell, but no cotyledon, so it's likely stillborn

The plant in the lower left is the White Buffalo. Fingers crossed. It appears to have stabilized. The top plant on the right was inserted a couple days ago and seems to be acclimating well. The one below I just put in this morning

IMG_4770.JPGIMG_4771.JPG

PhatNuggz

Well, it seems relying on the O2G alone (at least until the root system has exited the net pot) is a bad idea

I am using one stone (at the opposite end of the tote from the emitter), but just added another as 1 plant was completely wilted this morning

The water level was low, but having air stones to pop bubbles at the bottom of the net pot would likely help draw down the tap root

PhatNuggz

Still having issues with young plants wilting, even though I added the second stone, BUT, the pump was still on the same timer as the O2G. I am now running the air stones 24/7

PhatNuggz

Very frustrated. It was already too late when I added an air stone and should have added two. Not even sure they would have helped as the waterline was a good 1" below the net pot.

If the pump is big enough (mine is) as the bubbles burst a small amount of moisture gets up into the net pot, keeping the RRs damp. However, when the bubbles are constant it is highly likely that the RRs will get soaked, and stay soaked, especially if the water line is too close to the Rapid Rooters (which is why I put a layer of small stones between the RR and the bottom of the net pots. If the water line is too high the RRs saturate, causing root rot that destroyed my last 3 grows. This time, the opposite, the RRs dried out

Having multiple air stones popping the surface provides ample moisture above the water line, though I will no longer run it 24/7, to avoid over saturation. Thinking to use the pump more like a F & D and cut on time down to ~30 minutes on and ~ 2 hours off. This should eliminate the RRs from saturating, which caused root rot in my last 3 grows. This will be similar to F & D times. It should solve that problem

These are tough setbacks, especially since I had nice roots developing out of the sides of all 6 RR this time, but they dried out before reaching the nutrients below.

On a positive note: .One plant is doing well, maybe one more will survive. Either way, I dropped 6 more seeds this morning