Cal/Mag

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
I highly recommend 80-82, I had previously kept mine at 72-75 but when I first started experiencing the LED calcium issue I went and ask the guys I consider more knowledgeable with LED growing on the other forum, guys like rocket fuel, Supra and all those guys said right off the bat 80-82 and I was like you “that’s to high” plants like what we like! And I always ran hydro and those cool ambient temps kept my solution in check, but the more research I done i seen the transpiration issue and I heard GG and Gromau talk about it also so I went to coco and bumped mine up, coco needs more calcium but I’m not fighting solution temp issues and even with the coco needing more calcium I’ve noticed the higher temps have helped. LEDs don’t have no infrared and other things that gas burning lamps have that heats the plants internals that trigger the stomata to open allowing it to transpire. Calcium is mobile so the more water the plant takes in through the roots and transpires through those stomatas the more calcium it gets. Being the LEDs don’t heat the plant up enough to transpire we have to raise ambient temps enough to achieve this.
Thanks to you to bro. Running the garden a little warmer has deff showed an improvement.

Skunkle Justin

What’s everyone’s brand of choice for cal/mag in soil?

I’ve been using roots for awile now but I’m starting to think I need something with a little more mag in it.

Back says 4% cal 1% mag but only .5 l% is water soluble and 4% sulfer

Just seems like I’m having to add it very frequently and yet their still showing signs of mild calmag deficiency

What’s more. The plants I left under my cfl are all perfect looking. But all the ones I moved under the cobs all started to show this. I had the cobs 20 inches away but I backed them off to 30 once this started to show up

So maybe the leds causing the plants to uptake more nutrients than the others under the cfl?

Deff wanna hear you guys opinions :)
Man I was beating my head on the wall a couple grows ago because of the same issue. I was growing a couple dispensary clones with HPS in coco and always added some calmag to my drain to waste solution. I kept wondering why I was getting these little brown spots on my leaves like I was getting a calcium deficiency. After asking around and showing pics my diagnosis was confirmed several times. So, I did every trick I could think of. Flushing, adding more calmag, adjusting temps and RH, and even going buck wild on IPM in case it was some other bug or germ leftover from the dispensary. It never got better. It just got worse and worse until the leaf tips started getting dry, crusty and dying off completely. Then I realized that the lights were too close. COB lights are very very intense and if they have lenses on them then they are even more directionally intense. If you don’t have any more height to raise your lights or a dimmer function, add some carbon dioxide to your room or tent when the lights are on. This will allow the plant to tolerate higher temps and conduct photosynthesis at a much higher rate without burning up the leaves from the inside. I’ve attached some pics of light burn from my garden to maybe help with your diagnosis. Post some pics of your plants so we can get a better idea of what to do next

Attachments

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Man I was beating my head on the wall a couple grows ago because of the same issue. I was growing a couple dispensary clones with HPS in coco and always added some calmag to my drain to waste solution. I kept wondering why I was getting these little brown spots on my leaves like I was getting a calcium deficiency. After asking around and showing pics my diagnosis was confirmed several times. So, I did every trick I could think of. Flushing, adding more calmag, adjusting temps and RH, and even going buck wild on IPM in case it was some other bug or germ leftover from the dispensary. It never got better. It just got worse and worse until the leaf tips started getting dry, crusty and dying off completely. Then I realized that the lights were too close. COB lights are very very intense and if they have lenses on them then they are even more directionally intense. If you don’t have any more height to raise your lights or a dimmer function, add some carbon dioxide to your room or tent when the lights are on. This will allow the plant to tolerate higher temps and conduct photosynthesis at a much higher rate without burning up the leaves from the inside. I’ve attached some pics of light burn from my garden to maybe help with your diagnosis. Post some pics of your plants so we can get a better idea of what to do next
I’ve learned to back the light off a bit. I deff underestimated the strength of the cobs.

Yours looks a lot like mine did. They still show the symptoms on the older leaves but all the new growth is looking beautiful

My cobs do have lenses on them. I’ve found backing them off some, and Increasing the calmag and temperature in the garden has helped tremendously

Thanks for the advice. I have a few buddy’s that stick strickly to the vpd chart.Their using co2 but their also getting a lot higher temps and humidity then I am. I’ve never supplemented with co2.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Im using the cal mag from Greenleaf. Seems to work for me in soil.
I use it to folar spray to once in awhile.
I’m using roots calmag. Once I started using a little more they started looking like normal

Still would like to find something with a little more mag in it. Might start adding some Epsom salts to my soil before transplanting

Never tried foliage spraying before but I’ve heard it works great for cal deficiency’s

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Not sure if you saw them or not but I posted a pic of them in this thread. Their looking better and better each day

I agree with you. I don’t think it’s just light burn tho. Almost seems like a couple different factors. In my case anyway.

To me it seems like the cobs are so intense they caused the plants to go into overdrive and start using up nutes. Along with the humidity and temp being on the lower side causes the plants not to transpire as much. Has to do with the plant opening and closing it’s stomatas. Boybelue had mentioned it above so I did some researching. This is what caussd fhe deficiency.

Now I could be totally wrong and the symptoms I saw on my plants were just the results of underwatering. Phantom deficiency’s if you will.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just gotta keep my eye on the ph. :)
Good to hear stuff is doing well. Separate those two things in your mind. The calmag and the pH.
The plants need calmag, especially under LED's
You need to monitor the pH constantly if you are in hydro (I think - don't do it myself)
You need to pH the water/feed to 6.5 in soil since you are in soil

You can add whatever you think is good to the water as long as you adjust the pH before it hits the soil.