Cal/Mag

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
What’s everyone’s brand of choice for cal/mag in soil?

I’ve been using roots for awile now but I’m starting to think I need something with a little more mag in it.

Back says 4% cal 1% mag but only .5 l% is water soluble and 4% sulfer

Just seems like I’m having to add it very frequently and yet their still showing signs of mild calmag deficiency

What’s more. The plants I left under my cfl are all perfect looking. But all the ones I moved under the cobs all started to show this. I had the cobs 20 inches away but I backed them off to 30 once this started to show up

So maybe the leds causing the plants to uptake more nutrients than the others under the cfl?

Deff wanna hear you guys opinions :)

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
What’s everyone’s brand of choice for cal/mag in soil?

I’ve been using roots for awile now but I’m starting to think I need something with a little more mag in it.

Back says 4% cal 1% mag but only .5 l% is water soluble and 4% sulfer

Just seems like I’m having to add it very frequently and yet their still showing signs of mild calmag deficiency

What’s more. The plants I left under my cfl are all perfect looking. But all the ones I moved under the cobs all started to show this. I had the cobs 20 inches away but I backed them off to 30 once this started to show up

So maybe the leds causing the plants to uptake more nutrients than the others under the cfl?

Deff wanna hear you guys opinions :)
What does the deficiency look like?

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Use tap water with a ppm of 150. I let it sit out a couple days Use calmag to bring it up to 250-300ppms. Then add Vegbloom to bring it up to 600 or so

Looks like a calmag deficiency. Not bad yet but just starting. Noticed a couple of the leaves are starting to dry out as well.

Ever since I transplanted them they look a lot better so I’m thinking it’s deff a deficiency of some kind.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
You can always use Epsom salt to get your Mg.
Yea this is what I’ve been thinking. Not sure if the 707 is lighT on the calmag but this problem seems to pop up pretty often. Ppms are at about 1000 right now. Ph is sitting at 6.2

How much Epsom salts do you think I should add ?

Lady Zandra

If using Cal Mag already, but need a boost of just Mag, you CAN buy it separately- OR add a pinch of Epson salt to your current cal-mag treatment!
Just make sure it's not the fancy coconut or lavender stuff!
Start slow.. you CAN over-do Magnesium and lock-up the calcium...

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
already ordered the epsom salts. Gonna take it slow..might just end up top dressing it in.

its fortunate to have the kobe #5 as the control plant under the cfl. its had the same temp humidity overall environment, nutes soil container size everything is the exact same except for the lights. As soon as the 4 were moved about 5 days later i noticed them starting to turn that lime green color. At this point im 98% sure its mag...but im not sure if Ca is locking it out or there just isnt enough in the soil. I have been feeding lightly so im hoping it needs more and it isnt locked out. Ph and Ppms are all good

Its like as soon as they got under that led they started eating alot or something. I cant really explain it any other way. The led is causing the plants to do something the cfl isnt.

Lady Zandra

JMO- be careful...using exactly the same everything for different strains could (maybe) run you into some issues...
Some strains are lightweights and don't need much nutes.. others are world-class pigs and will suck-up whatever you throw at them.
Knowing your strain and what the breeder recommends is always a good bet!

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
oh im treading lightly :) This is the 3rd time ive run this same strain....shes a heavy feeder but that usually starts around week 2 or 3 of flowering.

Vb recommends you bring your ec up with cal/mag to get it around .5 . Water at the new spot is coming out 140-150ppm. My last place's water was more like 60-80ppms

i saw 1 of greengenes vids on youtube when he was running this strain and he said that this and the purple punch were both super calmag hungry. he said 1 feeding without it and they would start yellowing up and he was using jacks as his base.

Edit: the 1 in my journal and profile pic was taken up to 1600ppms without showing any signs of burning

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If anyone uses the "mix-your-own" stuff, I recommend saving h2o2 bottles for storage. The one I posted you add a gallon of water, and it makes about 5 quarts. Not bad for $30, and it is 2-0-0 for you hydro people keeping track.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Cant figure out how the plant under the cfl is still perfect looking with the same nutes ph ppms everything. i have to research if leds make the plants uptake more of certain nutrients or not

honestly to me thats what it looks like happened. The light was alot more intense which caused the plant to go into overdrive. Its not light burn either, the middle is worst than the top but something with the cobs caused the plants to show whatever this is. Pretty sure its Mag. When you look up pics of leaves on google, a couple of the leaves are just starting to look like it. the plants overall are starting to have that lime green look.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Cant figure out how the plant under the cfl is still perfect looking with the same nutes ph ppms everything. i have to research if leds make the plants uptake more of certain nutrients or not
LED's (et.al.) make plants use more Ca and Mg from everything I've read. And if that gets 'off' it can trigger other mishaps.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
LED's (et.al.) make plants use more Ca and Mg from everything I've read. And if that gets 'off' it can trigger other mishaps.
Thats exactly what to appears to have happened. Same clone under cfl looks perfect. Clones moved under the cobs are showing signs of a mag deficiency. All bc i changed their light spectrum. pretty crazy to have actual evidence of this sitting in my garden.

Ordered epsom salts and plan on watering in at .25g per gallon to start.

i think im gonna wait 1 watering since i just transplanted to add the epsom salts. Going to ph and check the ppms again just to make sure my ph of my soil isnt getting to low and locking out mag. You figure if that was the case the 1 under the cfl would also be showing this.

The new soil should have some mag in it to help them along. ive been reading some folks saying 707 is a lighter mix. no idea if thats true or not. might try switching up soils in the next couple runs.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Thats exactly what to appears to have happened. Same clone under cfl looks perfect. Clones moved under the cobs are showing signs of a mag deficiency. All bc i changed their light spectrum. pretty crazy to have actual evidence of this sitting in my garden.

Ordered epsom salts and plan on watering in at .25g per gallon to start.

i think im gonna wait 1 watering since i just transplanted to add the epsom salts. Going to ph and check the ppms again just to make sure my ph of my soil isnt getting to low and locking out mag. You figure if that was the case the 1 under the cfl would also be showing this.

The new soil should have some mag in it to help them along. ive been reading some folks saying 707 is a lighter mix. no idea if thats true or not. might try switching up soils in the next couple runs.
Simple answer is that they are growing quicker and using more food. Shorting calmag makes them hesitant to eat the other stuff. I have yet to see a horrible cal-mag overdose. Seen lots of issues (just in my grows) where that was the primary issue.

I like using RO because I can control what's in it. The key to that is controlling what's in it ;) Initially I had my handy dandy feeding schedule, and was using it at 50% strength or less. I was reducing the calmag I added by the same %. Wrong answer! 5ml/gal religiously now, and if the feeding schedule actually calls for it (flip to late flower) I add that much more.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Simple answer is that they are growing quicker and using more food. Shorting calmag makes them hesitant to eat the other stuff. I have yet to see a horrible cal-mag overdose. Seen lots of issues (just in my grows) where that was the primary issue.

I like using RO because I can control what's in it. The key to that is controlling what's in it ;) Initially I had my handy dandy feeding schedule, and was using it at 50% strength or less. I was reducing the calmag I added by the same %. Wrong answer! 5ml/gal religiously now, and if the feeding schedule actually calls for it (flip to late flower) I add that much more.
thanks for the reply man!

Soon ill be growing in rockwool blocks on a drip system but im seriously thinking about converting the next upcoming runs to coco just so i no exactly whats in it. With soil its hard to gauge exactly how hot it is.

these wonka bars just popped and i plan on running them in 1/2g to 1g containers so maybe ill try out coco for the 1st time with them

With the competition tho id like to keep things consistent and try anything to far out of the norm. prolly still go soil on those but maybe its time for hotter soil. Lota folks seem to like happy frog or maybe this newer stuff from roots..think its called lush. have to do some research

Either way if i add this epsom and the problem starts to get better, ill probably start top dressing all my soil with epsom salts just to make sure this doesnt keep happening.

The cobs are alot stronger than i initially gave them credit for

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think the trick with soil is to use a seed-starter mix. Specifically designed not to be too hot.

After they get rooted, most soils are fine. I have tried many, and the FFOF is about the only adolescent plant problem. Or anything from Miracle-No. Not sure about their new organic stuff, but if it's time release feed don't get it.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
im wondering now if maybe they got a little to dry...i did go a little to long on a couple waterings. ive read that this can cause the plant to look like it has nute deficiency when its just a symptom of being underwatered.

after researching all night to me the deficiency looks exactly like a calcium deficiency and they say all the leafs closer to the light or in direct light will show signs 1st which is happening. and with it showing up days after being switch to the cobs its starting to look like what it is. with the cfl not being as intense so the plant is using less. again just another theory.

Im going to take things easy use cal/mag on the next couple feedings making sure to keep an eye on my ph. I dont want the calmag dropping my ph to low.

when i use the calmag with vegbloom the acid buffers in vb keep the ph stable so i dont have to worry about it as much.