Best spots in America for outdoor growing?

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Im thinking early spring veg inside, greenhouse with light dep curtains throughout summer this year.
Have the greenhouse setup 10x20. Have light dep motors and tubing. Just need some black-grey tarp. Most parts for the controller are sourced. Think I have 10’ to the peak. Just need to source a nice Sativa and start flowering early LOL should eliminate most undesirable variables.

Not sure what your planning but something like this could work down south.

Now I’m wondering if the light dep would roll up an insulated tarp. Could really stretch my season out.

Bruno8437

Super Active Member
I might relocate. Outdoor is the way to go.
If you are only considering the climate, Redwood City, CA is the place. "Climate best by government test." 330 beautiful days a year, 35 days are meh, but who's counting? The best soil I have every seen. It looks like Black Gold. Water is expensive but if you live in the flats, the water table is only about 30 feet down. Drill a hole, get a pump and your all set. The biggest problem is that it is now prime real estate since every tech company has moved in. Bring cubic $, because that is the ante to get into this game. I used to live there during the early 90's at the beginning of the tech boom. It was only moderately expensive then. Now it is outrageously expensive.

My house was a bungalow on a postage stamp, I left and upgraded to a large house back east for the same money. That was 20 years ago. Now I can't afford to go back if I wanted to.

Linky: The great climate debate of 1920s Redwood City.

Redwood_City_western_sign.jpg

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Southern Alberta
Total annual sunshine
% SunPlaceHoursDays
51Brooks2387330
54Lethbridge2507333
55Medicine Hat2544330

Redwood of the North ! ( No trees ?)
Auto's only.
Less than 30 frost free days after 12/12 (starts Sept. 15). Snow before Halloween.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
this is what i ended up trying in the greenhouse. I had 9 t5s running across the top with a tarp i threw over it. I had to move shortly there after so i never got to see the end results

the autos i ran all came out decent for greenhouse, Its just not my perfered way of growing these days. :)
It's about timing. Nice to get one harvest in before the heat of summer gets above 80 F. DEP in the morning before it gets hot and temps get out of control in DEP.
Almost a must to get a (completely) finished crop above 40 degrees latitude. Last 20 years, rains have came sooner and sooner. If you ain't done by 1st of Sept. or close to it. The rains will kill you.

beefterpene

I'm in the Northern Midwest and growing is great. I don't put out before the last week of May and stretch starts end of July and am usually in bud by August and have 7 to 8 weeks in by October 1st. Have to watch out for the rains for sure (this last year was pretty crazy for rain but only lost maybe 3 ounces on 3 units).

Key is to have healthy root systems that are probiotic with bennies and mycos. Having very well draining diversely amended soil helps tremendously. Training and trimming their legs helps very well with air flow. I trim up and inside while training the structure out.

Another trick I've been employing outdoor is to take 5 gallon pails, cut the bottom off and sink 3" into the ground that I then stake and wrap for stability. This gives a raised area for the root system to dry (I never water the buckets, but the much deeper hole. Since I re-use my outdoor holes, each holes bottom has been lined with 2" stone then 1/2" (bottom of hole is 3 feet down).

As for pest combat, I have done lots over the years. Outside of my plot I grow alternating basil, rosemary, sage, lemongrass and lavender. Outside the plot in the woods get new mint plants each year and are finally starting to encircle my plot. I've grow hot and super hot peppers as well, so I grind them and sprinkle them around my plot, I do this with coriander as well. Plants get sprayed with Neem every 2 weeks until stretch and I also mark trees and shrubs surrounding the plot with a mint and garlic spray that really seems to work (this year I will be adding peppers to this spray).

Definitely won't say this will keep everything at bay for everyone everywhere but it's definitely helped me keep majority of my crops. I know a lot of people don't have the privilege of having their plot perminamtly in the middle of 80 acres of private land where they can grow their own pest control and amendments, but I urge everyone who cam, to do so.

Heck this year I'm even growing a plot of alfalfa and nettles.

Best part of growing all of that stuff at your plot. You can cut it all and layer the holes for next year!

beefterpene

I'm in the Northern Midwest and growing is great. I don't put out before the last week of May and stretch starts end of July and am usually in bud by August and have 7 to 8 weeks in by October 1st. Have to watch out for the rains for sure (this last year was pretty crazy for rain but only lost maybe 3 ounces on 3 units).

Key is to have healthy root systems that are probiotic with bennies and mycos. Having very well draining diversely amended soil helps tremendously. Training and trimming their legs helps very well with air flow. I trim up and inside while training the structure out.

Another trick I've been employing outdoor is to take 5 gallon pails, cut the bottom off and sink 3" into the ground that I then stake and wrap for stability. This gives a raised area for the root system to dry (I never water the buckets, but the much deeper hole. Since I re-use my outdoor holes, each holes bottom has been lined with 2" stone then 1/2" (bottom of hole is 3 feet down).

As for pest combat, I have done lots over the years. Outside of my plot I grow alternating basil, rosemary, sage, lemongrass and lavender. Outside the plot in the woods get new mint plants each year and are finally starting to encircle my plot. I've grow hot and super hot peppers as well, so I grind them and sprinkle them around my plot, I do this with coriander as well. Plants get sprayed with Neem every 2 weeks until stretch and I also mark trees and shrubs surrounding the plot with a mint and garlic spray that really seems to work (this year I will be adding peppers to this spray).

Definitely won't say this will keep everything at bay for everyone everywhere but it's definitely helped me keep majority of my crops. I know a lot of people don't have the privilege of having their plot perminamtly in the middle of 80 acres of private land where they can grow their own pest control and amendments, but I urge everyone who cam, to do so.

Heck this year I'm even growing a plot of alfalfa and nettles.

Best part of growing all of that stuff at your plot. You can cut it all and layer the holes for next year!
At the end of last year we added quite a few holes and will be running 25 plants total. Last year was a late start because of family medical issues so we decided if for some reason that happens again we can all still smoke for free. We are used to 10lbs a pc and last year brought 3 a pc. Not to jinx anything but we could see closer to 18 with the new plots added. We also decided that every year forward the property gets a portion that rolls into adding fruit trees, berry bushes and vines and the like. Gotta give back (owner already gets an equal cut and he is one of the 3 *including myself* that labor tirelessly) but it's a gift to the land from all of us.

Edit: I will say that in my guerilla spots I run each year, those plants get started later and run on a 24/0 until put out in mid July. This way they are decent sized (big enough for deer to not fuck with them) yet will stay small enough to be out of sight. The 24/0 helps them kick right into bud when I put them out mid July. I tend to have to worry less with these plants about mold and care because they are all smaller than the permanent plot and not multi headed bushes. I didn't do any guerilla plots last year and probably won't this year due to the expansion of the perminant plot.

I'm fucking stoned.

Later

Last edited: