Benefits of having a light controller

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Besides the obvious benefits of a light controller. Why do people use them? To create the perfect environment, right?
Just to turn on and off my lights along with adjusting the rh I suppose. Enlighten me.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
It depends on what you define as a light controller. I program control systems for a living, so I programmed a system to control my lights. The benefit to using what I use is I don't have to worry about light timers needing to have their time set after a power outage, and I don't have to worry about changing the settings on them when I go from veg to flower. I just press the "veg", "flower", or "harvest" buttons and the light schedule changes to what I have them configured to in the program.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
It depends on what you define as a light controller. I program control systems for a living, so I programmed a system to control my lights. The benefit to using what I use is I don't have to worry about light timers needing to have their time set after a power outage, and I don't have to worry about changing the settings on them when I go from veg to flower. I just press the "veg", "flower", or "harvest" buttons and the light schedule changes to what I have them configured to in the program.
I see. So there isnt an all in one that does rh, temp, and time?
Thanks for the input Charlie!

led1k

Really Active Member
What did you use to program with? What hardware and software?

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
In my teenage days I finally got the grow lab slapped together had it all really nice bought the controller that turned on the co2 when exhaust fans turned off heat hit a high fans kicked in co2 kicked off till it cleared then started again etc etc. then some bastard robbed my ass. Took the equipment too. Think the thing was running for about a month. Now I just get the cheap stuff and toothpick it together. That controller was the tits though. cost me half a years salary and used it for a month. Ouch, they got my feelings 7456C680-8DB6-422F-9DCE-3A19E4A9BA81.gif

Bustenbeans

Smoke pot, eat twat and smile alot
So I just purchased this lighting controller and it looks promising so far.you downloaded an app and then your able to use all the functions right in your phone still have to set it all up.no brand on it but it's threw medicgrow.also got 4 of there 1000watts LEDs they pull around 960 on full blast but I'll never need them that high unless I get sealed rooms setup.black Friday steals!Screenshot_20211215-123627_Gallery.jpg

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
So I just purchased this lighting controller and it looks promising so far.you downloaded an app and then your able to use all the functions right in your phone still have to set it all up.no brand on it but it's threw medicgrow.also got 4 of there 1000watts LEDs they pull around 960 on full blast but I'll never need them that high unless I get sealed rooms setup.black Friday steals!View attachment 103236
Make sure you keep an eye on what those RH sensors read on that controller and compare it with a known good meter. Those sensors are very commonly used with less expensive controllers (like Raspberry Pi and Arduino) and they are known to have drift issues with RH readings. I'm using one of those sensors in my tent and it is closer to being accurate when the temperature is around 65° in the tent but, when the temp gets to 80° or higher, the RH is off by as much as 18% and I have to offset it in my programming. It was dead on for a few months and then just started drifting.

Bustenbeans

Smoke pot, eat twat and smile alot
Thanks for the info man. I'll definitely be watching it closely. I figured it wasnt the best controller but I'm really after the sunrise sunset feature.im definitely on edge I'll be keep a close eye just to make sure everything on point. I hope by next month to have a pulse pro to start keeping track of VPD and all that nerd stuff🤓. @TreeFarmerCharlie. What's your recommendation for accurate hydrometer,without killing the bank.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
@TreeFarmerCharlie. What's your recommendation for accurate hydrometer,without killing the bank.
I haven't found one yet. The one Crestron offers is accurate, but the sensor itself retails for $350, and it only works with one of their processors. I've been in touch with the company who I bought the temp/rh monitor off of, with regards to the issue with the RH drift, and he recently sent me an email saying they have a new setup that uses a different sensor which provides temp, humidity, and pressure readings. He said they haven't noticed any drift issues with the new sensor, but I don't think you would be able to just swap it out with the sensor you have, because I believe this newer sensor is read differently from the controller.

Salute TFC, would you be willing to share what you actually set your lights power/intensity(how much lux/par you are putting on the canopy) and any special spectrum setting you are using (i.e. added blue or green for veg, red or far red for flower, uv for harvest ect.) during these 3 phases.

Cheers, Z.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Salute TFC, would you be willing to share what you actually set your lights power/intensity(how much lux/par you are putting on the canopy) and any special spectrum setting you are using (i.e. added blue or green for veg, red or far red for flower, uv for harvest ect.) during these 3 phases.

Cheers, Z.
I'm currently manually adjusting a potentiometer for the intensity, because a compatible 0-10V module for my system is pretty pricey, but I start the lights out at about 40% in early veg, and then increase it by about 10%-15% each week. The timers are pretty run of the mill... 5am - 11pm for veg, 9am - 9pm for flower, and off with the ability to override and turn on the lights when in harvest (drying) mode. I'm not using any blue/green/uv...just 3500k Samsung F-Strips. One of these days I'm hoping to find a used 0-10V module for less money so I can do some cool shit with the dimming levels throughout the grow.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
In my teenage days I finally got the grow lab slapped together had it all really nice bought the controller that turned on the co2 when exhaust fans turned off heat hit a high fans kicked in co2 kicked off till it cleared then started again etc etc. then some bastard robbed my ass. Took the equipment too. Think the thing was running for about a month. Now I just get the cheap stuff and toothpick it together. That controller was the tits though. cost me half a years salary and used it for a month. Ouch, they got my feelings View attachment 103235
I'm sorry to hear that brother! 20+ yrs shit man , ur so young!!??

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I'm currently manually adjusting a potentiometer for the intensity, because a compatible 0-10V module for my system is pretty pricey, but I start the lights out at about 40% in early veg, and then increase it by about 10%-15% each week. The timers are pretty run of the mill... 5am - 11pm for veg, 9am - 9pm for flower, and off with the ability to override and turn on the lights when in harvest (drying) mode. I'm not using any blue/green/uv...just 3500k Samsung F-Strips. One of these days I'm hoping to find a used 0-10V module for less money so I can do some cool shit with the dimming levels throughout the grow.
I tossed any potentiometer I had and bought a box of resistors off amazon. Use the resistors when I need them. No issues. The dimmers always malfunction