Benefits of having a light controller

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Who needs a potentiometer? Crank those suckers wide open and raise them to the ceiling if ya have to. Just a lot more photons bouncing around to hit a plants "solar panels". If you're looking for efficiency, drop them to the canopy to save a couple dollars on the electric bill.
I've always built to overkill status. lol
I got about 30 Vero 29's and I ordered 50/3watt 660's to load on some 2 and 3ft x 5.88" heatsinks. I'm gonna load them down.
Anybody using "Buck Booster step up/down" converters on their leds?

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Who needs a potentiometer? Crank those suckers wide open and raise them to the ceiling if ya have to. Just a lot more photons bouncing around to hit a plants "solar panels". If you're looking for efficiency, drop them to the canopy to save a couple dollars on the electric bill.
I got about 30 Vero 29's and I ordered 50/3watt 660's to load on some 2 and 3ft x 5.88" heatsinks. I'm gonna load them down.
I have a couple. I wanted to do that as well! Lmk how it works. For 5$ it sounds too good to be true. I wanted to add reds to my Hlg qb132s, then I found growdaddy.....

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The benefit to dimming your lights, when you don’t need them blasting, is it extends the life of both the LEDs and the driver.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Self dimming would be a big help, I cant say how many times I cranked the lights up for a couple days and then temps spiked during heat of the day and I had a bunch of crispy tops. People always Fn with my AC while Im at work.:mad: All I hear is "its FREEZING in here" I had to turn the air off. I have to remind them Its not about you, its about the plants.;)

Bustenbeans

Smoke pot, eat twat and smile alot
Self dimming would be a big help, I cant say how many times I cranked the lights up for a couple days and then temps spiked during heat of the day and I had a bunch of crispy tops. People always Fn with my AC while Im at work.:mad: All I hear is "its FREEZING in here" I had to turn the air off. I have to remind them Its not about you, its about the plants.;)
I feel that statements into my soul😂 it's a constant fight with the thermostat at my house.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have a couple. I wanted to do that as well! Lmk how it works. For 5$ it sounds too good to be true. I wanted to add reds to my Hlg qb132s, then I found growdaddy.....
I think I paid like 20 bucks for 50x 660's. I ordered some Aluminum 14 diode blank bars to solder them on.
What I use also is the LDD 1000 and 1500L on these
1639674013158.png
There's lots of different ways to build your lights.
I want to order some 365-370nm UV's to add also. Growdaddys are 385nm UVs on his strips.
You can get 12 volt reels of the 385's for 15.00. Basically a standard black light. 365nm are a lot more expensive.
I use the 48 volt drivers instead of 24 volt.

Last edited:

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have a bunch of 12volt strip drivers to use the Buck Boosts to convert to 24 -90volts. I'm just now fooling with the boosts. I'm afraid they might get too hot running for 12 hrs. But as cheap as they are, won't hurt to experiment with them. I have 2 of the 480watt step ups. I might buy a couple of the 1500 watters for overkill protection. lol

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
A potentiometer is just a mechanical variable resistor. The cheaply made tiny ones break easily but a standard one shouldn’t give you any issues.
Lol yeah and all the ones I tried were Chinese garbage. I put the resistors on 2 years ago and 0 issues. No more babysitting

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Wish arduino was a little esier to program. I have one and some parts to go with. Just have to finish.

I have a few scenarios id like to automate.

Venting hrough heat recovery unit or not. It brings in the same amount of air and warms it with the outgoin.
Id like to also have a non warming senerio bypassimg the recovery part.
Dhimidifier
Ac
Humidifier

Right now its -20 outside so venting through the heat recovery works great for fesh air and cooling and dehumidifying but its gets my room too cool. So i run a dehumidifier. So one or the other.
I use a humidistat on the heat recovery and a humidistat on the dehu with a temp controller to shut it off if it gets to 27 deg.
Would be nice to have one controller that one could set all senereos for best most efficient use of electricity.
Maybe some day ill get the ardino going. I have a temp himidty sensors and a display working. Just need to figure out the 8 channel relay board. Hook up a few more sensors for outside temp and humidity and should be able to turn whatever on and off to make best use of outside air. Its the programing thats tough.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
What you need is a PLC, or programmable logic controller. That would allow you to integrate dimming with temperature, among many other things.