A Few Guitars

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Well, someone like myself doing it for kicks can make one in that range. But a decent set of tuners is between $100-200. A lot of effort is in making it flawless, getting a factory finish is an art unto itself. There are builders who send the guitar out to get finished because of the level of expectations. But that adds to it. Generally $2-3k is on the low side. With a somewhat of a reputation you are looking at 5k to 15k. Then there is a handful of $25-30k people.

As an example I pulled up what it costs to refret a guitar, say your Yamaha.

Setup $75 and up.
Fret edge dress $50
Full fret level $150+ Setup
Full refret –unbound neck $380+ Setup
Full refret –bound neck $440+ Setup

A setup is required to ensure proper fit andperformance. Prices do not include finish touch-up;Lacquered-over nuts will be replaced as carefully as possible to leave a clean result. Cosmetic-repair options may be available for an additional charge; ask the technician for an estimate

.Premade 6-String guitar $40+setup
Custom Made $90+setup

Neck Reset (Traditional)Bolt on heel with glued fingerboard extension $360 + setup. Dovetail $540 + setup

So a guitar normally is in the 100 hour range to build. A one man shop can do up to 8-15 a year. These guys are about the most affordable decent guitars being hand built.

http://www.halcyonguitars.com/pricing Base Price $1899 But that is Canadian, so about $1500 US.
Cool - all of it make sense, just never shopped for one - mine all work LOL

printer

Super Active Member
Cool - all of it make sense, just never shopped for one - mine all work LOL
I just took a wander at a popular guitar part supplier and put together two price lists. One with the most inexpensive options and on where price is not a concern. I did not pick a back and side set or tuners that were rare, could have added another $500 or so. Then there are sets that can cost $1000-3000 if you want to go all out. In Canadian funds so knock off 20%. I never put in finishing materials or consumables, add on another $50+

Sitka Spruce Soundboard for Dreadnought Guitar AA $35.87
Black Walnut Back + Side Set $124.28
Sipo Mahogany Neck Blank $45.35
Uncarved Guitar Braces $11.22
Acoustic Guitar Neck Block $27.14
Acoustic Guitar Tail Block $14.27
Bridge Plate Stock $6.29
Unslotted Fingerboard for Guitar Granadillo $20.71
Flattop Guitar Bridge Blank Granadillo $14.44
Kerfed Guitar Linings Basswood 4X $4.53
Peghead Overlay Veneer Granadillo $12.10

Gibson Truss Rod $20.61
Fender Road Worn 6-In-Line Tuning Machines $46.25
Waverly White Bridge Pins $14.49
Micarta Saddle, 1/8" blank $7.75
Micarta Nuts $8.93
White Plastic Binding 2X $7.30
Herringbone Rosette $15.00
StewMac Medium Fretwire $7.88

$419.45

Sitka Spruce Soundboard for Dreadnought Guitar
Sanded Grade AAAA $144.60
Madagascar Rosewood Back + Side Set 612.24
Sipo Mahogany Neck Blank $95.73
Uncarved Guitar Braces, Carpathian Spruce $41.65
Acoustic Guitar Neck Block $27.14
Acoustic Guitar Tail Block $14.27
Bridge Plate Stock $6.29
Unslotted Fingerboard for Guitar Crelicam Ebony $63.24
Flattop Guitar Bridge Blank $15.17
Kerfed Guitar Linings Reverse, Mahogany 4X $5.75
Peghead Overlay Veneer Ebony, Oversize $20.71

Slotted Nut Hot Rod Truss Rod $28.44
Waverly Guitar Tuners with Vintage Oval Knobs $245.13
Waverly Bone Bridge Pins with Abalone Inlay $43.76
TUSQ Saddles $14.57
TUSQ Nuts $14.57
Bindings Curly koa 2X $18.51
Herringbone Rosette $15.00
StewMac Stainless Steel Fretwire $16.72

$1464.68

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
WOW!

Do you have a steamer set-up to form your own curves? or does the side-body piece show up close to there and adjustable?

printer

Super Active Member
WOW!

Do you have a steamer set-up to form your own curves?
Yeah, wow. I never added stuff up. Of course the more you get to raw wood the less expensive it is. But the big costs to me are the tuners, back and sides. I got lucky with some woods, I also have some raw wood to cut down. Mind you there is waste happening there also. I have a few forms that I use, manly bend the sides on a hot pipe beforehand though. Theoretically I don't need a form, I have built a couple of guitars without a form. I may have to post a inexpensive build I did. How about a $50 guitar you can build yourself?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
As far as price goes, I have paid for scrap wood LOL. Ebony, purple heart, etc. exotic hardwoods for accents on the little cartoon puzzles.
I have also used pieces from old dry-rotted pallets that had a nice grain :)

printer

Super Active Member
This goes back to the Home Despot guitar right? LOL
So you saw it. I can't remember who saw what on what forum anymore. Yeah, that was a fun one to do. I will do another one some day. I don't get too much in terms of scrap wood around here. We have a wood supplier that charges a good buck for their stuff. But when you are the only game in town and no competition that is the way it goes.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
So you saw it. I can't remember who saw what on what forum anymore. Yeah, that was a fun one to do. I will do another one some day. I don't get too much in terms of scrap wood around here. We have a wood supplier that charges a good buck for their stuff. But when you are the only game in town and no competition that is the way it goes.
One place I lived there was a guy that had a mill and sold the semi-finished boards. If he cut off the live edge it was scrap. Spent $50 on a few long pieces like that and a few milk crates of rough ends from cutting the boards to length :)