Vertical Goodness and Other Batshit Craziness

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
A quick look at my custom, home built RDWC system. That waterfall is all the circulation, churning, mixing and aeration needed. All else is unnecessary complexity and bullshit:
20211226_163457.jpg20211226_163644.jpg
The control bucket has 1" return lines coming in from all the tub sites at the bottom, gravity fed. There's a pump feeding the manifold in there. That 1" manifold in turn feeds 1/2” lines that go to each tub, where the tee fitting keeps it in place and creates the proper waterfall effect.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
These three are going to be flowered in a flatlander setup under that same light, only in a different room.
The far plant is Ice Cream Cake and the two on the near side are Durban Poison.
20211226_164313.jpg
They're going to get a thorough cleanup and I'll take a bunch of cuttings but they're basically ready to flip.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Growing big plants indoors is all about the veg setup. The young 'uns in "small" veg are crammed together to encourage competition for overhead light and therefore vertical growth instead of getting bushy. That comes later. For now, they need to spread out enough to cover a 4' wide x 6' tall trellis panel.

"Big" veg is more of the same, only bigger in scale. Only when they're at least 4' tall above their netpot will they go across the room and get espaliered onto their panel.

I'll take pics of prebloom veg and blooming spaces once there are plants ready for them.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I have some projects for the next few days or a week;

Clones. Gotta get cuttings of ICC and Durban right away because my only cultivars are going into bloom. I need to get another generation of the rest of my strains going as well so I'm not backed into the same corner again.

Bloom the big 3; that's going to require a new setup in a corner of a bloom room I already have going. Shouldn't be too hard as the RDWC system I use is totally modular, flexible and works like Legos.

Set up a flood table bloom zone: half of this is already done, just need to get the other half squared away. I'm thinking I'm going to flower a bunch of MAC1 because it's what I have the most of and I know from experience it isn't as strong a contender for vertical gardening just because it takes so long to grow.

Slowdrawl

PICK YOUR OWN
These three are going to be flowered in a flatlander setup under that same light, only in a different room.
The far plant is Ice Cream Cake and the two on the near side are Durban Poison.
View attachment 103898
They're going to get a thorough cleanup and I'll take a bunch of cuttings but they're basically ready to flip.
I love DP, one of my fav wake and bake strains.
Glad to see another sativa leaner around here.
I'll be following this one to the end.
Quite the set up!

Salute ttystikk, a few questions off the top of my head...

1 - What nutes do you run and at what strength for Nursery, Small Veg, Big Veg, Flower?
2 - Do you use a chiller?
3 - Do you use a fungicide or do you run sterile?

Cheers, Z.

Oh, and when I built an outdoor RDWC a couple of years ago I ran an inline sediment filter on top of my control bucket/cooler and it really seemed to amplify the water fall effect as it shoots the water out like a fan horizontal across the top really nicely. That obviously doesn't make too much of a shit seeing your results, but I thought I would share in case you might want a bit more air exposure and cooling effect.
61coe43Pp4L._AC_SL1490_.jpg

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
1 - What nutes do you run and at what strength for Nursery, Small Veg, Big Veg, Flower?
2 - Do you use a chiller?
3 - Do you use a fungicide or do you run sterile?
1. I run dry nutrient salts from Chem-Gro.
www.hydrogardens.com
I use their 5-11-26 plus micros hydroponic mix, calcium nitrate and epsom salt, the last sourced from Wal-Mart in the pharmacy section because it's cheaper there lol

Veg is a ratio of 5 parts mix, 4 parts calcium nitrate and 2 parts epsom salt. pH 5.8-6.3, EC 1.7-2.0

Bloom is a ratio of 3-2-1, and I'll add approximately 1g/gallon of MKP (monopotassium phosphate, 0-52-32) somewhere around week 3 of flower. pH and EC similar to veg

2. Yes, I use a chiller but mine is bigger and used for cooling RDWC water and for water cooled air handlers for climate control. These also remove excess moisture from grow room air. Unfortunately, the fucking thing is broken so I'm winging it through the winter and hoping I can find someone who can fix it before it gets hot again. Because the same unit runs both air and water cooling, I'm reducing overall complexity and chillers are a bit more efficient than AC, especially here where altitude is high and humidity is very low. More on this later.

3. Neither! As long as the RDWC water sees a temperature of 69 or less at least once a day, it takes care of itself. I've even deliberately poured nasty rotten root water into the system while in the midst of a run and nothing happened. Proper circulation, aeration and churning action to break surface tension is all that's required for good water quality.

Please tell me more about how that inline filter sprayed water? I find that bit fascinating!

Please tell me more about how that inline filter sprayed water? I find that bit fascinating!
Thanks a bunch for all those great info nuggets ttystikk! (y) As far as the inline filter goes it pretty much just constricts the water flow kinda like putting your thumb on the end of hose so you can spray the water further and in a much more wider coverage area to give the return water more contact with the open air. Super low tech.