Vertical Goodness and Other Batshit Craziness

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
This is my personal curse; to find better WAYS to grow rather than hunting better strains. There are great breeders out there, talented chuckers too, I'd rather piggyback on their talents than compete.

Meanwhile, indoor gardening is in more dire need of a blowjob than any industry in history (apologies to Robin Williams, may he find the peace he never had in life) and there just aren't very many people out there trying to make those changes at the basic level, at least not relative to growers, breeders and distributors.

I aim to change that and maybe have a little fun along the way.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
It was only a matter of time until you made one of these threads, it’s perfect timing really, I’ve been tossing the vert idea around in my head since fall. When I harvested my greenhouse I couldn’t help but notice that I have a lot of wasted potential, my walls are 14’ high, but only have a 10x12 floor space. So I was thinking I’d build a sort of vert/colosseum system, wrap the walls and hang bare bulbs. That’s for next spring, in the meantime I’ll be hanging out here watching your mind at work :)

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
It was only a matter of time until you made one of these threads, it’s perfect timing really, I’ve been tossing the vert idea around in my head since fall. When I harvested my greenhouse I couldn’t help but notice that I have a lot of wasted potential, my walls are 14’ high, but only have a 10x12 floor space. So I was thinking I’d build a sort of vert/colosseum system, wrap the walls and hang bare bulbs. That’s for next spring, in the meantime I’ll be hanging out here watching your mind at work :)
Aye, I can't keep my big mouth shut!

I think your greenhouse (outdoors, transparent roof? Solar orientation? Need some deets, bro!) could be a great place to experiment with vertical gardening. This isn't a new idea, either; I was working on vertically grown tomatoes in a greenhouse with hydroponic nutrients 40 years ago.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I got to admit I am pumped to see a vert grow as in the hands of somebody that knows what they are doing I bet they can CRUSH 2 grams per watt. That's my hunch anyways. I hope you grow a damn MONSTER ttystikk!
View attachment 103867
Strange as this may sound, I've never gotten big grams per Watt numbers; I've done well to hit 1gpw. On the other hand, my weight per square foot of floor space has been killin' and getting rid of the HID lamps and round silos in favor of LED lights and flat panels has meant an absolute revelation in terms of ease of access to inspect and work on the plants.

I've resorted to addressing the energy requirements in other ways and that will be a recurring theme here moving forward.

Oh, and monsters will be lurking here; I've hit 2lb on a plant before and with the upgrades I have in mind, I'll be going for 3. Bring on the hedge clippers!

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I miss my vert garden sometimes. I dont miss the electric bills however.

View attachment 103870
You and that Ukrainian dude Sedan on Trollitup have been the truest to the old design of round vertical silos with bare HID lamps hanging in the middle. I get the feeling that your living soil beds made them hard to ventilate because the rest of us had room to put fans on the floor aimed up through the middle.

LED lights are a huge step forward in the energy consumption department, for sure.

Strange as this may sound, I've never gotten big grams per Watt numbers; I've done well to hit 1gpw. On the other hand, my weight per square foot of floor space has been killin' and getting rid of the HID lamps and round silos in favor of LED lights and flat panels has meant an absolute revelation in terms of ease of access to inspect and work on the plants.

I've resorted to addressing the energy requirements in other ways and that will be a recurring theme here moving forward.

Oh, and monsters will be lurking here; I've hit 2lb on a plant before and with the upgrades I have in mind, I'll be going for 3. Bring on the hedge clippers!
Oh man.... I am suddenly getting visions of a perfectly vegged Blue Dream X GG #4 cross placed in the middle of a 10 X 12 X 14 grow space that has spider farmer SF4000's plastered all over the walls!
Down Boner.gif

m4s73r

The Laziest
You and that Ukrainian dude Sedan on Trollitup have been the truest to the old design of round vertical silos with bare HID lamps hanging in the middle. I get the feeling that your living soil beds made them hard to ventilate because the rest of us had room to put fans on the floor aimed up through the middle.

LED lights are a huge step forward in the energy consumption department, for sure.
LOL it was actually funny. I put the bed in and bought a cool tube. It was laughable. I returned the cooltube and bought a spiderfarmer 4k. It didnt even make it though one grow before I got my trump bucks and upgraded to the ChilLed lights. So Now i got this led light with like a month of growing just sitting in the corner. Still got the Digilux Digital 1k ballasts. Wish I could sell it all.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Oh man.... I am suddenly getting visions of a perfectly vegged Blue Dream X GG #4 cross placed in the middle of a 10 X 12 X 14 grow space that has spider farmer SF4000's plastered all over the walls!
View attachment 103876
Where do you GET these gifs, man? LMFAO!

My setup has evolved over time and the new approach is a vertical trellis with LED lights shining on both sides, about 30-36"away. That leaves room for an aisle to work on the plants. This also allows for rows of panels that look like hallways. The ease of access must be seen to be believed.

When I get over feeling quite so fat and lazy from all this Christmas food, I'll see if I can find a pic or two.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
LOL it was actually funny. I put the bed in and bought a cool tube. It was laughable. I returned the cooltube and bought a spiderfarmer 4k. It didnt even make it though one grow before I got my trump bucks and upgraded to the ChilLed lights. So Now i got this led light with like a month of growing just sitting in the corner. Still got the Digilux Digital 1k ballasts. Wish I could sell it all.
So what didn't you like about the Spider Farmer unit?

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
Clone zone, a job for next week or so;
20211226_162159.jpg
The aquarium is for cuts in soil, aero cloner is self explanatory. A note here; I used to have cloning on point but in recent years I've had shit for results, to the point of losing a lot of strains I really wanted to keep. I know the drill but for whatever reason I just haven't been getting the results.

Last edited: