Woman Diagnosed With Rare 'Cobalt Lung' Disease After Vaping

Vee

Ancient Member
Researchers still don’t know exactly how bad vaping is for your health, but the results of one case study might make you think before you spark up that e-cigarette.

The case study, published in the European Respiratory Journal, focused on one patient (a 49-year-old “previously healthy” white woman from California), who was diagnosed with a rare lung disease known as "cobalt lung" after presenting with a cough, wheezing, and shortness of breath when exercising.

Researchers at the University of California San Francisco reported that the patient had a lung disease medically known as giant cell interstitial pneumonia (also called hard metal pneumoconiosis or hard metal lung disease, in addition to cobalt lung).
The illness is normally found in industrial workers who have been exposed to metals like cobalt or tungsten, commonly used in metal mining, smelting, and refining, and in the manufacture or use of cutting or grinding tools. But the woman’s doctors believe her case could be the first linked to vaping.

There’s been no shortage of reported vaping illnesses across the US, with people displaying the same symptoms: coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. However, when doctors examined the woman’s lung tissue, the damage looked different than damage caused by typical vaping injuries. Under the microscope, they observed impaired cells that had consumed other cells, forming giant cells––the same pattern typically found in hard metal lung disease.

When the docs tested the woman’s e-cigarette, a ZenPen brand vape pen she’d been using with marijuana for six months before getting ill, they found cobalt in its vapor, plus other nasty toxins like aluminum, chromium, lead, manganese, and nickel.

The study authors hypothesize that the metals found in the e-liquid leached from the heating coil in the vape pen. The fact that the woman was vaping marijuana is significant, because it raises the risk of leaching––the pen must be heated to a much higher temperature to aerosolize THC than to aerosolize nicotine. The higher temperature releases a greater amount of toxic substances, per research published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology in 2016.

The authors of the new case study stated that their findings prove vaping devices must be regulated. “The public health implications of this are substantial given the increasing trend towards legalization of cannabis for recreational and medical purposes,” they wrote.

Although the woman’s lung damage is probably permanent, her doctors said her lung function may improve. Lung injuries from vaping devices have been reported in all 50 states, with Alaska reporting its first case on Tuesday. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention previously said 2,290 lung injury cases were reported from 49 states, two US territories, and the District of Columbia, with 47 vaping deaths confirmed in 25 states and the District of Columbia.

(note: I do vape my own flowers)

Stoned Cold Bulldog

and that's just one reason what is heating your concentrate/herb truly matters when the heating element is in contact with the weed/concentrate. i've never used a vape pen and i know knock offs are dangerous but so too can legit ones be based on what's happening.

i will definitely consider all this once i go to a new vape. if i have to save more to get what i want then so be it.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
.......snip......

The study authors hypothesize that the metals found in the e-liquid leached from the heating coil in the vape pen. The fact that the woman was vaping marijuana is significant, because it raises the risk of leaching––the pen must be heated to a much higher temperature to aerosolize THC than to aerosolize nicotine. The higher temperature releases a greater amount of toxic substances, per research published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology in 2016.

....snip...
Yup metal coils. I use ceramic in my vape pen (https://www.ccell.com/WhyCCELL) and my stationary vape is a Volcano which uses hot air.

For the concentrate in my vape pen it's pure distillate from my flowers created by @cannabineer so I know there is no adulteration.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
How do you like your volcano?
Pure distillate rocks ;)
Honestly I prefer smoking joints to any vaping. But I'm also a fan of old mexican brick weed so maybe there's something wrong with me? I find the high from the Volcano especially to be incredibly cerebral with almost zero body effect and since I use mostly for pain that's disappointing to me. But as a vape goes its really incredible. Seems cleaner than my pen.

I'm familiar with turning the temp up (it's a digital) and I do that still even at what should be combustion it's not the same as a joint.

Mr Blamo

Old Timer
I stopped using vapes...im a bong guy...sometimes pipes but I have old lungs and choke lots.
When I smoke joint there 1 grammer or bigger lol
My friends call me a expert roller lol

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
This is why the feds need to legalize. With so much legal gray area, there’s no governing body holding these cart manufacturers responsible. There needs to be some basic regulation in place. Otherwise, incidents like this will surely be used as ammunition by those with anti-pot agendas