When do you take clones?

H.A.F.

"Happy Wanderer"
No I'm not talking about veg or flower. You search the internet and all you get is people telling you you can't take clones in flower - :rolleyes:;)

I am talking about specifics, like

time of day (near lights on - middle - near lights off)
In relation to when they were watered last (same day - day after - right before watering)

Stuff like that which usually doesn't come up in a "how to clone" conversation, but probably effects success rate.

Thanks

Big Perm

Budtender
Great question.
I try to take mine just before lights on and when they need watered. I've found that this dramatically speeds up my cloning times and the clone is perky when lights come on. I also don't change the veg light schedule they were on before cloning.

H.A.F.

"Happy Wanderer"
Great question.
I try to take mine just before lights on and when they need watered. I've found that this dramatically speeds up my cloning times and the clone is perky when lights come on. I also don't change the veg light schedule they were on before cloning.
Awesome stuff. I have a few special cuts I am getting ready to clone. They are still small and don't have a lot of candidates, but I want to smoke it 😁

I want to take one or two from each and have the best chance of them taking. Makes sense on the watering thing. Whatever solution you have with the rooting hormones and such would get that initial uptake. Just didn't know if that was a good or bad thing LOL

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
No I'm not talking about veg or flower. You search the internet and all you get is people telling you you can't take clones in flower - :rolleyes:;)

I am talking about specifics, like

time of day (near lights on - middle - near lights off)
In relation to when they were watered last (same day - day after - right before watering)

Stuff like that which usually doesn't come up in a "how to clone" conversation, but probably effects success rate.

Thanks
I take mine a few hours after watering. Having the cut full of water may be a bit counterproductive from above experience but having the cut full of water helps prevent embolisms and keeps out the nasties. Light feed before taking if hydro.

Fiddler's Green

Insane Grower
I've never given timing any consideration, good question. I've mainly taken cuts in the middle of the day/light cycle when I have time. But I water after taking cuts with the bro-science idea that it'll help with the shock on both the mom and cutting.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I've never given timing any consideration, good question. I've mainly taken cuts in the middle of the day/light cycle when I have time. But I water after taking cuts with the bro-science idea that it'll help with the shock on both the mom and cutting.
You dont want to take a cut from a dry plant that's for sure. Perms idea makes sense. Being more hungry and thirsty will make the clone want to root to survive faster in theory. Moisture contact and aeration around the rooting area is also key. A good feed of bennies and aminos tend to help healing. Taking from a plant that is undergoing positive pressure in its system is the safest route. Depending on your system etc this is usually a couple hours after watering. Drips etc are always sipping. This prevents the wound from immediate contamination on both ends. Still put the cut in water immediately. [/QUOTE]