What to do if you see burning tips/leaves with living soil/topdressing?

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I am new to Organics and am using a soil recipe I found online. It is similar to most others Using Roots Organics as base, Then adding amendments such as worm castings, kelp meal, neem meal, bat guano, biochar, hydroton. Then i apply a top dressing of Pride Lands at about 4 weeks of flower. I try to go with less is more and give each plant the same amount. Everything was fine til top dressing, It always seems to be one plant out of my group that gets burned. This is the third cycle with the same soil and I am not sure if it was the same pot that may have had the issue. I will take notes this round. What I need to know is what to do now. I usually would flush with water and cut back the PPM . With Organics I would think adding more water would only melt the topdressing and feed the plant more. I will post pics later. But basically all the big fans are burnt and now showing on smaller fans. Plants were all good b4 the top dressing.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
The only thing you can do, that I'm aware of, is try to scoop out the top dressing to get some of the fertilizer out of the pot and then give it a heavy watering to try to run some of it out the bottom. The water alone isn't going to make the fertilizer available to the plant because it needs to be broken down by the biology in the soil.

Kushash

Insanely Active Member
I am new to Organics and am using a soil recipe I found online. It is similar to most others Using Roots Organics as base, Then adding amendments such as worm castings, kelp meal, neem meal, bat guano, biochar, hydroton. Then i apply a top dressing of Pride Lands at about 4 weeks of flower. I try to go with less is more and give each plant the same amount. Everything was fine til top dressing, It always seems to be one plant out of my group that gets burned. This is the third cycle with the same soil and I am not sure if it was the same pot that may have had the issue. I will take notes this round. What I need to know is what to do now. I usually would flush with water and cut back the PPM . With Organics I would think adding more water would only melt the topdressing and feed the plant more. I will post pics later. But basically all the big fans are burnt and now showing on smaller fans. Plants were all good b4 the top dressing.
Yeah, I've seen similar damage before caused by heat.
As Charlie said the top dressing won't break down that fast to cause a problem, something fast acting like a guano over applied might show problems quickly but even that would need some time.
If it is related to the A/C and the light. Why are the middle fan leave in bad shape and the leaves above them are in way better shape then the middle fan leaves? Wouldn't the newer growth closer to the light be damaged as badly as the middle fans if that was the case?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Then adding amendments such as worm castings, kelp meal, neem meal, bat guano, biochar, hydroton.
How did you treat this soil after mixing it? Did you soak it and let it "cook" for a bit? Also - do you have orms in the pots?

These two things may be non-sequiturs.
a top dressing of Pride Lands at about 4 weeks of flower.
Everything was fine til top dressing
Plants were all good b4 the top dressing.
So technically, the plants were all good until the 4th week of flower - where serious plant changes are happening. And you also did a top-dressing. Two separate things. It could be that the soil needs to mature, some of the stuff you added might not be plant available yet - which is why I asked about worms. Also, if you are using worms and microbes nothing you top-dressed would be available to the plants that quick. They eat differently when you are not using chelated minerals.

My first grow with the living soil was not stellar but made it to the end without having to address anything. I think there is an adjustment period for you and the soil.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
FWIW I answered the first post without reading the replies or seeing the pics. There is still a lot that can go wrong with organics, but it's usually not the organics - it's the stuff that can screw up any grow ;)

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I havent put any worms in yet but I am planning on it. I will do that this week. I have been building up the population in my bin and I think they are ready. The soil sat in a sealed trash can with alittle moisture to cook for several weeks b4 I filled the smart pots. Had this happen twice now, and last time the plant was in the corner away from the light.:unsure: That one not happy is the Purple Fritter. The purple Cake is looking Greasy in the front left corner. Citron back left corner and Diamond Cookies in the center in front of the PF. The Others are one of each just a little behind because I also just put them in the new tent

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have been building up the population in my bin and I think they are ready.
I tried that "avocado-tech" where you mash up an avocado with other worm goodies then put it back in the half-shell upside down on the soil.
A. the worms love it and I am sure there is some nutrient rich poopies happening, but
B. they are all hanging out under the shell and humping and not working the soil.

I don't do that in the pots but I do a semblance of it on my 'between grows' pots. After harvest I leave the cover crop on but cut out the taproot if there was one but I leave the main mass of roots. I toss on some bokashi in the center where it was shaded, then cover that center with a small plant saucer. The worms in the pot work the hell out of the roots and the bokashi getting watered in speeds up the decomposition. Since I am on about a one month rotation that means that those pots are usually sitting for three weeks or so before I need the next round of soil. In that time there is nothing left of the rootball. I just keep the pot moist, and with just a small ring of cover crop going it doesn't use much. Under the saucer will stay moist and be the hang-out for some of the worms, and they'll be reproducing between grows.

Sorry for the ramble - I think it was something I smoked... :cool:

What I was getting at was they breed all the time and have a relatively short time between laying, hatching, and the kids being able to breed. Like weeks. If you add a little hang-out with some worm food in it they'll reproduce like mad in the pot. Avocado, banana, fresh produce mushed up fine, whatever, and you can stick it under a small shallow bowl. No need to specifically buy an avocado. Use whatever you have. Give them something dark with food in it and they'll have an orgy :)

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I tried that "avocado-tech" where you mash up an avocado with other worm goodies then put it back in the half-shell upside down on the soil.
A. the worms love it and I am sure there is some nutrient rich poopies happening, but
B. they are all hanging out under the shell and humping and not working the soil.

I don't do that in the pots but I do a semblance of it on my 'between grows' pots. After harvest I leave the cover crop on but cut out the taproot if there was one but I leave the main mass of roots. I toss on some bokashi in the center where it was shaded, then cover that center with a small plant saucer. The worms in the pot work the hell out of the roots and the bokashi getting watered in speeds up the decomposition. Since I am on about a one month rotation that means that those pots are usually sitting for three weeks or so before I need the next round of soil. In that time there is nothing left of the rootball. I just keep the pot moist, and with just a small ring of cover crop going it doesn't use much. Under the saucer will stay moist and be the hang-out for some of the worms, and they'll be reproducing between grows.

Sorry for the ramble - I think it was something I smoked... :cool:

What I was getting at was they breed all the time and have a relatively short time between laying, hatching, and the kids being able to breed. Like weeks. If you add a little hang-out with some worm food in it they'll reproduce like mad in the pot. Avocado, banana, fresh produce mushed up fine, whatever, and you can stick it under a small shallow bowl. No need to specifically buy an avocado. Use whatever you have. Give them something dark with food in it and they'll have an orgy :)
I have been trying to figure ou the best way/time to introduce the worms, This sounds like a better time than mid grow. I think another thing I need to do is go to bigger pot size, I will probably dump all the soil back in trash can reamend and add worms when i repot. Then let them chill for a few weeks b4 next round. This may fix my problem just by re mixing the soil if it was 1 pot that is too hot. I really like the water only, with a topdressing using few bigger pots instead of mixing nutes and wateing a bunch of small pots constantly. It seems everything I have had since switching to organics has been way better as far as smell and taste. IT just takes a little getting used to the delayed reaction from the inputs.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have been trying to figure ou the best way/time to introduce the worms, This sounds like a better time than mid grow. I think another thing I need to do is go to bigger pot size, I will probably dump all the soil back in trash can reamend and add worms when i repot. Then let them chill for a few weeks b4 next round. This may fix my problem just by re mixing the soil if it was 1 pot that is too hot. I really like the water only, with a topdressing using few bigger pots instead of mixing nutes and wateing a bunch of small pots constantly. It seems everything I have had since switching to organics has been way better as far as smell and taste. IT just takes a little getting used to the delayed reaction from the inputs.
Don't overthink it - they're worms. Put them in dirt and they'll live. It's basically having fresh castings in your pot all the time.

To be honest, once I stopped thinking about the plants and made the grow about keeping the worms happy and the cover-crop alive-ish, the rest has done fine.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
IT just takes a little getting used to the delayed reaction from the inputs.
On this part, you are delaying putting in the worms LOL. Don't think delayed reaction. Your soil is good, so now it's just re-amending (topdressing) occasionally so the soil isn't depleted in the mall pots. I water with sprout teas, aloe water, coconut water etc. randomly. no veg or bloom. I just steer away from alfalfa and kelp in the soil and in teas during flower. They are specifically great for veg, but can cause plants to not want to finish, foxtail, etc. because of the growth hormones in those two.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Don't hesitate to hit me up with questions. I'm still learning as I go but I have learned a lot so far.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
Thanks for the help, I am sure I will need it. I am a 5 minute a day in the tent guy. Water quick look around and go. Then get home lights are out so I dont know what happened til the next day, sometime two days. This time of year we have lots of unexpected visitors from out of state.
It makes things fun when they have no idea what I am up to. :rolleyes::sneaky:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Thanks for the help, I am sure I will need it. I am a 5 minute a day in the tent guy. Water quick look around and go. Then get home lights are out so I dont know what happened til the next day, sometime two days. This time of year we have lots of unexpected visitors from out of state.
It makes things fun when they have no idea what I am up to. :rolleyes::sneaky:
I have my lights on at night and off during the day. Winter and summer it helps keep the temps more stable. And I'm retired so it makes me do other stuff during the day :)

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
With regards to TreeFarmerCharlie said and what is mentioned in this article about Langbeinite toxicity is provided what your problem is considering top dressing ingredients. The fan leaves will act as a sacrificial anode on absorbing the burn and leave them on otherwise your sugar leaves and bud with feel the burn too. Give a good flush to knock down the unit burn then limp the waterings into things stabilize the defoliation at 41 days and you'll be good to go