What makes a cut, a cut?

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
On the cut topic I just picked up gmo, weding cake, GG4, and dosido. Just to see what all the hubub is all about. Interesting to compare with seed grown. They do have the fire, now i just have to figure how to get the best out. Some are finiky bitches. The glue had 22% return on the press. Im new to pressed flower but i think 22 is pretty good, especially since my grows are not close to perfect.

Big Perm

Budtender
Gucciberry was found by hunting s1s of pp and wc.
It wasn't an S1 then, it was a cross.
#15 was the one that was chosen as 'the cut' out of the pheno hunt done by @Dustjesus . Someone else could do the same thing and come up with a plant that is so similar one wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Not just any plant from those seeds will be like the one that was chosen (in this case, #15 but they were all called Gucciberry), so when they call a cut a 'cut', it is talking about a very specific plant. Like the GG4 example you also used. You either have GG4, or you don't. So you could pop GG4 S1 seeds all day long, and you might find something close, but you'll never have the cut that is known as GG4 pretty much throughout the world. This is why authenticity of cuts is in question on places like strainly.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It wasn't an S1 then, it was a cross.
#15 was the one that was chosen as 'the cut' out of the pheno hunt done by @Dustjesus . Someone else could do the same thing and come up with a plant that is so similar one wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Not just any plant from those seeds will be like the one that was chosen (in this case, #15 but they were all called Gucciberry), so when they call a cut a 'cut', it is talking about a very specific plant. Like the GG4 example you also used. You either have GG4, or you don't. So you could pop GG4 S1 seeds all day long, and you might find something close, but you'll never have the cut that is known as GG4 pretty much throughout the world. This is why authenticity of cuts is in question on places like strainly.
I have been listening to respected breeders on podcasts lately, trying to learn stuff about growing in general, but from experts like Mean Gene, SkunkVa, Duke Diamond, Nspecta, Bohdi, etc. that have their own styles. One thing they almost all agree on is that you find great stuff in a good pack of beans.

If you get a real or a fake Chem91 cut - you get what you get. For some things that's what you want. But you'll never find your own new fire if you don't pop beans - the more the better.

Obviously they are trying to sell beans, but the logic is sound. And almost all of them say "breed with my stuff, have fun". So it's not all about selling. Some even talk about the importance of S1-ing stuff. If you have a sack of beans, you have all of the genetics in there- but it will be all jumbled up. So you have great genetics that have been selected for certain things, but in the process there are recessive traits that will pop back up (good and bad) that make the plants different.

For the hobby grower, finding that cut seems a more worthy goal than getting someone elses cut.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I have been listening to respected breeders on podcasts lately, trying to learn stuff about growing in general, but from experts like Mean Gene, SkunkVa, Duke Diamond, Nspecta, Bohdi, etc. that have their own styles. One thing they almost all agree on is that you find great stuff in a good pack of beans.

If you get a real or a fake Chem91 cut - you get what you get. For some things that's what you want. But you'll never find your own new fire if you don't pop beans - the more the better.

Obviously they are trying to sell beans, but the logic is sound. And almost all of them say "breed with my stuff, have fun". So it's not all about selling. Some even talk about the importance of S1-ing stuff. If you have a sack of beans, you have all of the genetics in there- but it will be all jumbled up. So you have great genetics that have been selected for certain things, but in the process there are recessive traits that will pop back up (good and bad) that make the plants different.

For the hobby grower, finding that cut seems a more worthy goal than getting someone elses cut.
Time and space are leading factors in my decisions. I have one room.
Also I run outdoor and knowing what I'm gonna get in October is priceless.
I like the wonder of poppingbeans for sure....
Wonderbeans genes. Dont steal my handle!! Haha

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Oh and the legal aspect. Hard to hunt when ur only allowed 6 mature per person
One interesting thing is that some of the pricier well-known breeders have started selling half-packs - like 5 regs for $50 instead of 10 for $100.

I wondered about this with the return/guarantee offered by many seed vendors. A comment I liked was that he had to feel pretty confident that you would find something good in a 5-pack to release them that way. And if you didn't you get 5 more - no biggie.

You would have room to pop a set like that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
When asked about planting other peoples beans to see what's there the reply was usually a pack or two. 2 dozen was about the max. If you don't find something good they shouldn't have released them.

With a 50/50 m/f ratio expected in regs a 12-pack gets your 6 to grow out. Only problem is you aren't sure what you'll get and have to trust that the breeder is legit and you chose a strain or cross you will probably like.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Do you guys find that a cut from a cut from a cut from a cut and so on loses its traits over time?
No, never had an issue with anything. Understanding that the plant will grow and perform differently in other environments explain most if not all variation you might see in a cutting. It is hard for most people to take responsibility for a shitty grow and look for ways to blame the plant.
"Well, It was a cut of a cut of a cut so I didn't expect much" That's how I think these rumors get started. The same can be said about the feminized seed being only 99.9% female. So you're saying that there is a .01% chance that a Y chromosome will just spontaneously manifested itself in your grow space. Bullshit

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Lol I know for a fact someone is sending out powdery mildew clones on strainly lol. Crybaby boy that just got bounced gonna get hooked up real nice and don't even know it. People wanna play the clone game can learn the hard way. I've had my share of dealing with 100 percent fuckery.

Big Perm

Budtender
Lol I know for a fact someone is sending out powdery mildew clones on strainly lol. Crybaby boy that just got bounced gonna get hooked up real nice and don't even know it. People wanna play the clone game can learn the hard way. I've had my share of dealing with 100 percent fuckery.
That genetic altering mildew will get you every time.
I remember when someone was putting thrips out.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I am still reeling from the russet mite boondoggle never again will a clone from an unknown pass thru my doors powdery mildew, thrips, mites what happened to honor and pride!

Lurch

Super Active Member
A cut is just a copy of a specific plant. Absolutely you could find a better plant in an S1 seed, as could you find an inferior plant. If you did find that keeper, that’s when you clone it and that is when it becomes “clone only”.

Here’s an example; below are three plants, all of which the seeds came from one plant that was pollinated by four different fathers with F2 heritage. Just for the sake of argument, let’s say I popped enough seeds to get 100 females, and there was only one like the middle, with all the others being similar to the plants on the ends.

View attachment 85801

So let’s say that plant in the middle had the desired attributes. You clone that plant. All of the clones are identical. The likelihood of someone else getting and keeping that same plant from seeds is very small. So yours is a “one of a kind” or “clone only”.
So is a lottery.
Loved my HiMac pheno out of 13 she was the one. Trichs, smell, taste, looks. A have a nice nice day high. US at its best in my humble opinion.
Alas no more.
It's a find it keep it kinda ting.
Sublime 😋 3 months covid lockdown was a pleasure. All from regs. 7 out of 13. One was the girl.