What makes a cut, a cut?

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
When someone says they have a cut, what does that mean.
I have caps cut of mac1, dosidos, and jbeezy wc.
I am trying to explain to my brother what a "cut" is....
Gucciberry was found by hunting s1s of pp and wc.
Bridezilla was found with wc and gg4.
Both from seed. Are they elite? What makes my cut from an s1 better than yours?
@Butlers ridge
When I say clone only, that means there was never a male produced of that strain. Am I right?

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
A cut is just part of the original plant and is genetically identical. There may be more seeds of that particular cross, but none will be identical to the cutting.
Could an s1 be better than the original?
Does anyone "really" have a nl1 cut? Acapulco gold? Ya dig?
Whos to say these "breeders" on strainly are selling legit cuts. Not s1 variety

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Th3 adub s1 I got from hb was fire. A friend got a cut and has revegged the same plant 3 times.
Did it lose anything?
How does it compare to the cut?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I believe that S1’s can be identical to the mother, but they aren’t necessarily so, because within the S1 mother are genes that did not express, but some of those genes do express in the S1 seeds, making it different than the mother.

Disclaimer: I AM NO EXPERT.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
Have you ever heard of an open pollination being referred to as “opening the treasure box”?

They call it that because there are so many permutations and combinations of genes within the mothers and fathers, that many of the plants from the open pollination are going to be quite different, because the plants grown from those seeds are going to express different genes, while storing others for future “reference”.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Could an s1 be better than the original?
Does anyone "really" have a nl1 cut? Acapulco gold? Ya dig?
Whos to say these "breeders" on strainly are selling legit cuts. Not s1 variety
Simple answer is that a cut is literally a cutting from a specific mother.

This is why old beans that are still viable are treasured. You may not find a damn thing in them, but if you find 'that' plant then you can start the process of taking cuts, flowering it out to smoke while keeping some in veg, that kind of thing - with the OG gangsta stuff.
Disclaimer: I AM NO EXPERT.
Me too!

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Simple answer is that a cut is literally a cutting from a specific mother.

This is why old beans that are still viable are treasured. You may not find a damn thing in them, but if you find 'that' plant then you can start the process of taking cuts, flowering it out to smoke while keeping some in veg, that kind of thing - with the OG gangsta stuff.

Me too!
As am I no expert. But. Its hard to explain what makes a cut a cut. Ya feel me. Could an s1 go further. Is mac1 f2 better than caos cut? I see alot of f3 going around.
Ive been doing this only,4 yrs and I'm still new to,it all. I just dont wanna spew unrealistic notions.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
As am I no expert. But. Its hard to explain what makes a cut a cut. Ya feel me. Could an s1 go further. Is mac1 f2 better than caos cut? I see alot of f3 going around.
Ive been doing this only,4 yrs and I'm still new to,it all. I just dont wanna spew unrealistic notions.
My understanding is that it doesn't matter if it is an s5 or f3 or whatever. It is about a single specific plant.

Might be from a tester bean and it never repeats. Might be from a bag-seed. It is about having one fire plant and keeping it - or it's clones going.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Basically a closet grower like me might get lucky and find "it" and never know it. Or not have the space to do anything about it if I did.

I have a third generation set of flower clones going now - completely unplanned but the stuff is fire. The mom is almost cured, a flower clone from her is about a month from being done - then I took clones from her in the 3rd week of flower just because.

I think that is how it works though. But to do a good hunt through many beans to find that one plant, and keep some of them all going while flowering out others (or passing out cuts for people to flower for you) you would need @High kev type of space to even do a good job of it.

So a breeder that does find "that" plant has gold mine in the making. And other breeders I am sure pay handsomely for those cuts.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
A cut is just a copy of a specific plant. Absolutely you could find a better plant in an S1 seed, as could you find an inferior plant. If you did find that keeper, that’s when you clone it and that is when it becomes “clone only”.

Here’s an example; below are three plants, all of which the seeds came from one plant that was pollinated by four different fathers with F2 heritage. Just for the sake of argument, let’s say I popped enough seeds to get 100 females, and there was only one like the middle, with all the others being similar to the plants on the ends.

4AC8CCDE-B70D-430E-8671-D69D31FC5321.jpeg

So let’s say that plant in the middle had the desired attributes. You clone that plant. All of the clones are identical. The likelihood of someone else getting and keeping that same plant from seeds is very small. So yours is a “one of a kind” or “clone only”.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Clone only means exactly what it sounds like. The only way someone can acquire a specific (like the MAC1), is to get a clone of it. It can’t be had by seeds. Could a better one be gotten? Sure (but it’d be a long shot) but then it wouldn’t be the MAC1 would it.
Uhm... that's how you get the MAC1-Opie cut (for example) or the h.a.f. cut or whatever if we happen to find and mother another great MAC1.