Weed is legal now and the "magic" seems to be gone?

bobross

Hi all, I took a little 30 year break from weed for a career and am back to smoking (in moderation). Althought the pros easily outweigh the cons, now that weed is legal it just doesnt have the same " Rogue" feeling that it once did.

WTF is this crazy old dude talking about? Well everyone seems to be smoking weed now, its everywhere and almost completely free were I live. I'm a grower now and am meeting fellow growers that hand over 1/4 ounce samples like its nothing. I know this all sounds crazy, but there is something missing now that I don't need to sneak around anymore. My jars of cured buds are cool, but not nearly as mystical and magical as they were back in the 80's-90's.

Back in the day, you had to wait out dry spells, chase dealers, and smoke terrible brown mexican weed. (this was a backup plan many of us fell back on) Strangely, I kind of miss the "hunt"... When you finally got lucky enough to get a good bag of kind bud, it was like finding a magic unicorn.

Now, even the middle level weed is AMAZING, and well, I think it kinda sucks. Weed is like the internet now, too much too choose from and too easy to get it. Oddly, its taking a lot of the fun away for me. I can smoke anytime I want to, and I'm finding I want to smoke less and less....

bobross

Back in the day a T- Break happened naturally as there were constant dry spells..... Man I miss not being able to get weed.

bobross

I think some of the magic from the past was calling a friend to smoke with, building something to smoke out of together, and making memories of laughter and good times. I hope you can find the magic again. Rock and Roll @bobross
Its probably just me getting old, but yeah I miss some of those good old days. We used to all get together listening to Albums in a circle. The weed had seeds most of the time back then, and album covers were the perfect seed rolling device....

Yep, I remember making pipes out of just about anything. Apples, Toilet paper rolls, and empty milk jugs. Yes, an empty gallon of milk was the first version of a gravity bong I ever saw.... Anyone remember putting a empty milk jug into a bucket of water? We called them bucket hits, the new whipper snappers call them gravity bongs.

grav.jpg

bobross

I think it's more of a Nostalgia thing really.
I have a feeling there are a lot of growers that used to grow illegally that are hating life now. There is some fun to the gamble of an illegal grow and sneaking if that makes sense. Its much easier to grow now, but much less exciting...

Cant argue with you though, I think your right, just an old guy stuck in his ways... Yes, probably Nostalgia

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have a feeling there are a lot of growers that used to grow illegally that are hating life now.
I think the biggest problem is for those that used to support themselves selling weed. The thing no one seems to get is that the price of weed is inversely proportional to it's legality. Once it's legal you ain't getting $4k a pound.

All the big ag people that are failing left and right? All based major business models on being able to sell weed at a profit margin of illegality, with no regulatory expenses, license fees, inspections, testing, labelling, changing labelling...

All the peeps bitching about this law and that reg on the youtubes are just not digging the fact that legal weed is not expensive. It's a cash crop, but on the level of tobacco, not gold. People making money on it now are growing where it's legal and selling where it ain't.

Its much easier to grow now, but much less exciting...
Uhmmmmm :unsure: maybe the problem was that there was something that made gardening "exciting" in the first place? Like illegality? 🤷‍♂️:ROFLMAO:

I'll take decriminalized and get the fuck off my property over a profit margin any day.

bobross

Growing White Widow in Coco (my first try)... Things are a bit rough, we'll see if I can dial it in..
I think the biggest problem is for those that used to support themselves selling weed. The thing no one seems to get is that the price of weed is inversely proportional to it's legality. Once it's legal you ain't getting $4k a pound.

All the big ag people that are failing left and right? All based major business models on being able to sell weed at a profit margin of illegality, with no regulatory expenses, license fees, inspections, testing, labelling, changing labelling...

All the peeps bitching about this law and that reg on the youtubes are just not digging the fact that legal weed is not expensive. It's a cash crop, but on the level of tobacco, not gold. People making money on it now are growing where it's legal and selling where it ain't.

Uhmmmmm :unsure: maybe the problem was that there was something that made gardening "exciting" in the first place? Like illegality? 🤷‍♂️:ROFLMAO:

I'll take decriminalized and get the fuck off my property over a profit margin any day.
Yeah man, the price of weed has gone WAY down were I live, half the price it was a few years ago. Its almost cheaper to buy it then to grow it after adding up soil, nutrient,carbon filter, electricity costs etc.... I'm getting 1.5- 2.5 ounces of bud from one plant and s Spider FarmerSF-1000, taking around 4 months from seed to harvest. Thats a lot of time and work for a couple of ounces that I can get for less the 200 a Z..... Same bud was 350-400 a Z not loing ago. (Wash DC dispenseries and delivery services.).

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I took a little 30 year break from weed for a career
To be clear I took 26 years. But I loved weed in the 80's and that never stopped. I hate that the illegality made me an alcoholic that loved the scrips when I could get them. I spent that 26 years thinking about when I retired from that I was gonna buy a fat sack of weed and smoke on it then worry about finding a second job. Turns out I didn't need the second job so I got to growng about 2017, and got decent at it a few years later.

I can get the gist of what you are saying from the base level of 'high-ness'. But the actual growing of the plants is part of my medicine.

I had an exciting career, so that might have something to do with me being cool as a hermit now. I didn't start gardening for excitement. So there was none to lose.

bobross

To be clear I took 26 years. But I loved weed in the 80's and that never stopped. I hate that the illegality made me an alcoholic that loved the scrips when I could get them. I spent that 26 years thinking about when I retired from that I was gonna buy a fat sack of weed and smoke on it then worry about finding a second job. Turns out I didn't need the second job so I got to growng about 2017, and got decent at it a few years later.

I can get the gist of what you are saying from the base level of 'high-ness'. But the actual growing of the plants is part of my medicine.

I had an exciting career, so that might have something to do with me being cool as a hermit now. I didn't start gardening for excitement. So there was none to lose.
You and are are in the same place brother. I couldnt smoke but was downing a bottle of Vodka every night for way too many years. I quit drinking cold turkey. I didnt realize what alcohol detox was until I quit drinking, cold sweats at night and no matter how many showers I took, I smelled terrible for weeks. Alcohol is bad news and almost killed me.

So now I'm back to weed and am taking it very easy, night time use only around a bowl... (or an Arizer Solo vape)... The growing of weed is keeping me going now, it gives me something to look forward to. Hell, I love growing so much I've started with Parsley, Clilantro, Basil etc.. Growing plants is very enjoyable for me at this age...And no more BOOZE, I cant even look at it now, it makes me feel sick.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
You and are are in the same place brother. I couldnt smoke but was downing a bottle of Vodka every night for way too many years. I quit drinking cold turkey. I didnt realize what alcohol detox was until I quit drinking, cold sweats at night and no matter how many showers I took, I smelled terrible for weeks. Alcohol is bad news and almost killed me.

So now I'm back to weed and am taking it very easy, night time use only around a bowl... (or an Arizer Solo vape)... The growing of weed is keeping me going now, it gives me something to look forward to. Hell, I love growing so much I've started with Parsley, Clilantro, Basil etc.. Growing plants is very enjoyable for me at this age...And no more BOOZE, I cant even look at it now, it makes me feel sick.
I have everclear I use for tinctures now LOL

I stay some form of high 24/7 unless I am sleeping. So I don't really look at it as something I was supposed to be excited about. More like just taking care of business. But then there's finding the one strain that works better than others and you realize it ain't all just weed.

Then you start buying beans...

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Growing White Widow in Coco (my first try)... Things are a bit rough, we'll see if I can dial it in..

Yeah man, the price of weed has gone WAY down were I live, half the price it was a few years ago. Its almost cheaper to buy it then to grow it after adding up soil, nutrient,carbon filter, electricity costs etc.... I'm getting 1.5- 2.5 ounces of bud from one plant and s Spider FarmerSF-1000, taking around 4 months from seed to harvest. Thats a lot of time and work for a couple of ounces that I can get for less the 200 a Z..... Same bud was 350-400 a Z not loing ago. (Wash DC dispenseries and delivery services.).
1.5oz - 2oz per plant is pretty low. Once you dial things in you should be able to pull 4oz or more off a plant. My first grow cost me under $200 and I got a little over 4oz from it which paid for my setup multiple times over. I don’t know how cheap dispo weed is where you live, but it’s stil $300/oz (+ 20% tax) where I live.

If you want to cut your costs then keep it simple. Grow in soil, use inexpensive fertilizer blends, and don’t fall into the trap of buying hyped up cannabis nutrients or growing in coco with tons of bottled nutrients and enhancers. I haven’t bought so in years, I just keep twice the amount I need, and constantly recycle it. I run 4 plants at a time, in 10 gallon pots in a 4x4 tent, and I yield at least a pound from each grow.

bobross

1.5oz - 2oz per plant is pretty low. Once you dial things in you should be able to pull 4oz or more off a plant. My first grow cost me under $200 and I got a little over 4oz from it which paid for my setup multiple times over. I don’t know how cheap dispo weed is where you live, but it’s stil $300/oz (+ 20% tax) where I live.

If you want to cut your costs then keep it simple. Grow in soil, use inexpensive fertilizer blends, and don’t fall into the trap of buying hyped up cannabis nutrients or growing in coco with tons of bottled nutrients and enhancers. I haven’t bought so in years, I just keep twice the amount I need, and constantly recycle it. I run 4 plants at a time, in 10 gallon pots in a 4x4 tent, and I yield at least a pound from each grow.
My working space is 17 inches by 17 inches with 3 feet of height max. I train low, and mainline to keep only eight tops. I also remove all the lower rubbish keeping the tops of the tops only. 8 big colas is all I get to smoke every 4 months AND they are lollipopped very aggressively. I do this to reduce odor and also to grow only the best part of the plant. My experience with the lower buds is that they are very low quaility compared to the tops. All of my colas are at equal height getting equal light..

Yes, I could get a lot more out of my grows, but so far 8 colas done right is way more bud than I can smoke ! The quality of my tops is blowing the doors off my dispensery weed.... Not even close ! ( I may top for 16 colas this grow mainlined, we'll see how the coco works out....)

Keeping it really simple, just Dynagrow Foliage Pro and Protekt.....(mainly, I also use Great White and Mycos during transplant).. I'm on the fence when it comes to bloom nutrients and will be cutting down on their use.. (Mag Pro and Bloom)....

Here is an example of my grow kept small intentionally. My wife came down in week 8 of flower last grow and said "it smells like weed."...Even when kept small like this...I got three ounces off another grow but it was out of control and the quality was all over the place. I like it nice and neat like this even though I lose some quantity at harvest...

Considering the size of my grow safe (I have to have a lock) I think I'm doing ok... Less than 100 watts of light and very little space. The SF-1000 is amazing !

Week 6.1.JPG

Week 7.1.jpg

Week 8.1.JPG

Week 12.JPG

Here is an example of a grow I let get out of control although the harvest was huge... (one plant--Durban Poison) This was Fox Farm happy frog soil, I'm in Coco now. We'll see.

week 10 F5.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
People who say lower buds are lower quality don’t know what they are talking about. Yes, if you don’t prune properly you can wind up with small larfy buds down low. But if you prune properly, and get good airflow down there, the buds will be just as nice as the ones on the colas. IMO, the thing that keeps the flowers consistent throughout the plant is lots of air circulation. By that I don’t mean strong wind. I mean lots of low flow at multiple levels. This was from my last grow. All of the buds, even the lowers, were solid and covered in trichomes.
2157475F-B3D2-495A-9CA6-D65776422A66.jpeg

bobross

As a new grower forces to use a small space, I think I'm doing better than many with huge high wattage lights and Xmas tree grows that arent to
People who say lower buds are lower quality don’t know what they are talking about. Yes, if you don’t prune properly you can wind up with small larfy buds down low. But if you prune properly, and get good airflow down there, the buds will be just as nice as the ones on the colas. IMO, the thing that keeps the flowers consistent throughout the plant is lots of air circulation. By that I don’t mean strong wind. I mean lots of low flow at multiple levels. This was from my last grow. All of the buds, even the lowers, were solid and covered in trichomes.
View attachment 126756

Hmm... I was under the impression that the lower buds couldnt get good light unless you harvest the tops and then let the lower buds finish for more time. (no go for me, harvest is risky enough one time) I even jar the tops seperately from the lower buds because I've made the mistake of getting used to smoking my lower buds (I can smoke a bowl of two) and then getting blown away to the couch from a few hits off my tops.... My tops are MUCH stronger than the lower buds...

Maybe its my light? the SF-1000 has barely enough juice to flower the tops, maybe thats why my lower buds are lame....

bobross

BTW, I do t know how you guys that grow in tight places keep your plants so short. My plants get tall, but I have the room for it, so I haven’t had to even try to keep them short.

Lots of LST, Mainlining (pics of a mainline above) or I bend the main stalk horizontally to keep everyting flat. I top and train the colas to equal height... I mean every cola is at the exact same height. You dont want one cola getting to close to the light or it gets a big head and takes over... (becomine dominant and taking up resources.) At least thats how I understand it..

I never understood people with high power lights and a big xmas tree plant with one single cola at the top, seems like a huge waste to me...

bobross

View attachment 126756
Yummy ! Dam that looks tasty. What strain?