Washing buds after harvest

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
I like to use the clear plastic drawers from Walmart. The flat containers allow you to lay your buds and roll yer logs in each of the three pails Fiddler Green and I use. Then use a salad spinner to dry them. If possible leave a couple inches of stem off the end of the bud so you a spin them between your index finger and thumb.

Last edited:

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Filled one tote and two buckets to see what I need. I have a few branches as long as my arm (buds on the top half to top third).
20211001_120552.jpg

I would ideally like to do whole plant but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I like to use the clear plastic drawers from Walmart. The flat containers allow you to lay your buds and roll yer logs in each of the three pails Fiddler Green and I use. Then use a salad spinner to dry them. If possible leave a couple inches of stem off the end of the bud so you a spin them between your index finger and thumb.

On the salas spinner idea. Great for loose bud, terrible for limbs and trees. But if you grip the plant/limb firmly by the stem in a place where there's room you can do the same centrifugal thing just swinging the limb like a windmill.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
On the salas spinner idea. Great for loose bud, terrible for limbs and trees. But if you grip the plant/limb firmly by the stem in a place where there's room you can do the same centrifugal thing just swinging the limb like a windmill.
You can use a good amount of force too. I like to swing them downwards to see the water coming off and use that as an indicator.

6 buckets to fill each is a lot. I'll have to add that to my list next time I go into town.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
True but typically I them down to wash them anyway so if the buds are about 12" and fit nicely into my large spinner BTW home goods had a huge selection and I got a nice Italian job for about twenty and were as low as $12.

20211001_194130.jpg

Macncheesehaze

I just chopped and washed about 20 plants last night and WOW. I had one plant with a little bit of mold on it so far, out of what I chopped anyways. Still have a lot more to do but good lord was it a beautiful harvest and boyyy were they some dirty girls. The water almost looks oily is that your guys experience as well?

Macncheesehaze

I think that is a little of the PM. That's what I got from the Jorge video. Indoors I haven't seen it much, but I have occasionally, and I think the peroxide is what has kept stuff like that from being a problem down the road.
I’ve definitely seen tons of bug shit and slug slime on em too. Definitely glad I took the minimal amount of time to do it

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I’ve definitely seen tons of bug shit and slug slime on em too. Definitely glad I took the minimal amount of time to do it
That's the thing a out the organic (with worms) soil. I have tossed a few escapees back in my worm bin that survived, and some that didn't. The ones that didn't almost immediately had a population of critters devouring it.

Pretty sure I am creating my own beneficial bugs that are for sale elsewhere at $60/gram. I have also seen some bugs on the plants that don't appear to do any damage, but are definitely hanging out in plain sight. I've seen no chewed leaves, no colonies of bad shit under leaves, nothing adverse - But...

Even good bugs take a dump.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Immediately After the chop then hang with a fan on them overnight then trim, dry and cure as usual just give a few branches a try you'll be impressed how much brighter they look I know it's tough to wrap your head around but it does not harm your girls terps...
@Lanestrainley I'll add that leaving them in front of a fan overnight won't be too bad, but it might dry them quicker. I have real low humidity so I weigh a few representative pieces, or the whole plant before washing. I'll hang them about 10' away from a floor fan on high and rotate them a few times, but as soon as they are lower than the starting weight I put them in the drying area.

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
Ed Rosenthal discusses the dip. Its effextive for pm and certain pests late in flower.
Brrr.... The year I got pests from going into the room after going through the field to my outdoor spot.
That or the stupid outdiir cat that was in there numeroua times. I like cats. Just nit in my shit!
I am all too familiar with cats tracking shit in the garden, little fuckers…😻

Lanestrainley

Really Active Member
@Lanestrainley I'll add that leaving them in front of a fan overnight won't be too bad, but it might dry them quicker. I have real low humidity so I weigh a few representative pieces, or the whole plant before washing. I'll hang them about 10' away from a floor fan on high and rotate them a few times, but as soon as they are lower than the starting weight I put them in the drying area.
I’m going to do this next year, I’m a greenhouse guy since there is snow on the ground here around day 40. Have you ever tried this technique on indoor crops?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I’m going to do this next year, I’m a greenhouse guy since there is snow on the ground here around day 40. Have you ever tried this technique on indoor crops?
I have been doing it on most harvests and I'm all indoors. I take lots of bud pics. That usually determines if I want to wash it. Dust, cat hair, all the shit that clumps up on fan blades... Inside the house doesn't have PM like outside, but plenty of junk.