Turpman’s tent

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Going to give organics a go indoors. Pretty sure I have Pithium in my well water even though I run it through RO. My area is quite high in sodium. I have a large slew on my property that has an artesian well running into it. Thing is it never fills so it comes up on one end and down somewhere else. Keeps a hole thawed most of the winter where it comes in.
It is quite high in sodium. So much it is pretty much brown all the time. No weeds grow. Cows don’t mind it neither do the ducks and geese.
I usually have a couple 25 gall containers of worms going year round. And I do use it outdoors. Going to experiment indoors going forward.
Here is a bubba cut struck in RW. That I put in worm compost promix, rice hulls and some amendments Probly been 2 weeks. Roots are defiantly thicker and more hairs. I blended some skeeter dunks today and topdressed all pots. They starting to fly😒
IMG_3791.jpeg

lakegrow

PICK YOUR OWN
Well I’m just starting the battle. May order some predatory bugs for my worms when the weather warms up.
I never get gnats but I just had a really bad infection of them, I think they came in my promix since they were not here when I started the new bag. I tried all the regular crap but no go and was having to change yellow sticky cards twice a week. Bought these BioLogic Scanmask Beneficial Nematodes, Steinernema feltiae Sf Nematodes and 2 applications and they just disappeared. That was a month ago and still no gnats. I have used before with great results. I just kept them in fridge in between applications.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Well I’m just starting the battle. May order some predatory bugs for my worms when the weather warms up.
If you haven't yet, start your worm bin! You wouldn't believe the impact that the good biology you can't see has on the soil. My first run with living soil was gnatty. Worse than with the bag soil and Fox Farms nutes. But I also started my worm bin at the same time as I mixed my soil. It was young and not complex yet, basically worms and bedding. As it ages it will take care of itself, as long as you have a little patience and can use temporary attacks on the problem that don't cause hiccups in the biology.

Patience is a virtue

it's also a song by Guns and Roses :ROFLMAO: 🤘

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
If you haven't yet, start your worm bin! You wouldn't believe the impact that the good biology you can't see has on the soil. My first run with living soil was gnatty. Worse than with the bag soil and Fox Farms nutes. But I also started my worm bin at the same time as I mixed my soil. It was young and not complex yet, basically worms and bedding. As it ages it will take care of itself, as long as you have a little patience and can use temporary attacks on the problem that don't cause hiccups in the biology.

Patience is a virtue

it's also a song by Guns and Roses :ROFLMAO: 🤘
Oh ya iv had worms for over 20 years. Same genetics i started with that long ago.
Just need to embrace indoor growing a bit more.
They have been in my cool shop since frost hit and the flyers had a went dormant so it seems. Now that the worms and compost are warming up in the warm loft the nats are hatching. I'm hoping the dunks keep them from multiplying in the plant pots and I'll get some nat eaters once the weather warms up. My worms get a lot of kitchen scraps, it can be pretty smelly before the worms get it. So the flyers are already in it. I'm going to try home made worm chow. Bought some beet pulp, bird seed, alfalfa pellets, I have malt and corn for brewing so I've blended some up to see how they like. My mom gave me about 3 gallons of egg shells, I blended them up as well for some grit.

I may make a 45 gal worm bin out of a barrel that slowly rotates like once every 3 days or so to prevent anaerobic areas. My 25 gal. tend to get a bit anaerobic in the bottom if I forget to turn them. Prolly not bad for compost but I can't see it working very well for tea. I'd rather start with the aerobic buddy's.
Or maybe just more bins that are shallow.
I'm open to any tips.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Have a couple different strains of chocolate Thai going.
AKBB, great germination one dud out of the full pack. They started off a little slow coco and Jack's. Have since up potted to worm compost mix. They are just starting to recover from the move.
The other strain is from early 90s Dutch passion i accuired in a tradded with a fellow that made some seed. Not near as good of germination but I got a few going. Will be making some seed out of them. May do an open pollination. We will see how out of control things get. Haha
This is some of them I think 18 in total.
IMG_3797.jpeg

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm open to any tips.
I have an indoor-specific worm bin. It has several shallow, stackable trays that have a 1/4" mesh plastic grid for the bottoms of the tray so they are flow-through. Sets on a stand with a catch and drain spout but I never let it get that wet. It works well and the trays can rotate if the lower one looks funky. It's called a Wormbin 360 if you wanted to look at one for ideas on what to make. I got black friday deals on one, then a few spare trays. But the concept is universal.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Indoor organics work GREAT !!!

BUT.... a sterile res will remove the problem of Pythium. It works more dependably for me than bennys we get here.

I use pool shock... its so cheap, its stupid.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Indoor organics work GREAT !!!

BUT.... a sterile res will remove the problem of Pythium. It works more dependably for me than bennys we get here.

I use pool shock... its so cheap, its stupid.
I’ve tried it all. Rot always takes over.
I am having some luck with great white bennie’s in my arrow cloner. I’m guessing the Pithium is starting at that stage. I think I’ll go to flod and drain trial to see how that goes.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Going to try some reviving in tissue culture.
20ish year old seeds from Europe.
White widow and ak47 cleand up ready for some bleach and into seed starting TC.
Tomorrow will sterilize and get into TC.
Have about 8 total ready.

Amazing some of these old seed even try to start. That white is som fungi. Hope the bleach kills it. Will find out in about 4 days.
the AK seeds look great. Some didn’t want to come out of the shell so I just cleand the coating off. The black part is the root. Has a bit of a skin over it not the actual root it self.
No hormones just reduced concentration of sugar and nutrients.
IMG_3805.jpegIMG_3804.jpeg