To flush or not.

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
I almost always leach a wee bit at the end. For a while I was blasting synths or salt based TIL after pk boost then little flush and organics till the end besides tap water last few waterings. Especially if I fucked up and overfed a bit. Best flush is not overfeeding tho imo. I’m not growing that way anymore tho. Just keeping a balanced ratio of organic nutes pushing the ppm s to bout 800 max. and letting the plant be a plant.

WebstersBallSack

European Bean Flicker
Ive seen no difference either way personally.

I agree the science doesn't support flushing for the reasons we hear people doing it, but I do wonder if the purpose has been lost in translation or more so time and think forcing senescence was probably more about quickening the ripening process by increasing the ethylene production process.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Ive seen no difference either way personally.

I agree the science doesn't support flushing for the reasons we hear people doing it, but I do wonder if the purpose has been lost in translation or more so time and think forcing senescence was probably more about quickening the ripening process by increasing the ethylene production process.
I've actually been thinking about playing around with a few different fade/leech techniques. I went back to using boosters recently. I guess I should see how these buds turn out first though. They'll probably be fine if I had to guess.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I almost always leach a wee bit at the end. For a while I was blasting synths or salt based TIL after pk boost then little flush and organics till the end besides tap water last few waterings. Especially if I fucked up and overfed a bit. Best flush is not overfeeding tho imo. I’m not growing that way anymore tho. Just keeping a balanced ratio of organic nutes pushing the ppm s to bout 800 max. and letting the plant be a plant.
“Let the plant be a plant”. I love it. I follow much of the same philosophy - don’t fuck with it too much.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
As long as you're not over feeding, there's no need to flush. Which should actually be called leaching. The science behind the theory didn't make sense when you apply plant biology. I can explain more of you like. But the real secret to good tasting weed is in the dry/cure.
What is your method to dry and cure the buds? Do you need to cure the sugar leaves?

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Sometimes I'll dry down to around 60%rh and do a normal jar cure. But my go to method is a little more work but well worth the effort, IMO........ I only dry three days with this method. Doesn't matter how wet they are, they go into jars after three days. I drop a hygrometer into each jar as well.... So three days dry time, into jars to sweat. Once they get up 80% or so I'll dump them on a paper bag for a few hours. Back into jars and now I'm trying to keep it from going over 75%, once it hits that, I dump them again. It takes a few days of this dump/dry/sweat cycle once I hit 65% and it stays there, I start burping twice a day and so on like any other jar cure...... This method for me, produces THE best tasting buds. It takes a while to get the chlorophyll out, usually 3-4 weeks before you want try a sample. But I believe it to be superior to a normal jar cure because this method locks your terpenes in, instead of floating off into outer space during a 10-14 day dry. You do have to babysit the jars for the first few days. I usually end up taking them to work with me, lol. But if you're into trying something new, give it a shot. Always tasty af buds.

Edit... I also use boveda packs, not always but they do make life easier. You can use bovedas with this method but you still need to burp the jars. You have to work the chlorophyll out of the buds with air exchange.

Last edited:

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Sometimes I'll dry down to around 60%rh and do a normal jar cure. But my go to method is a little more work but well worth the effort, IMO........ I only dry three days with this method. Doesn't matter how wet they are, they go into jars after three days. I drop a hygrometer into each jar as well.... So three days dry time, into jars to sweat. Once they get up 80% or so I'll dump them on a paper bag for a few hours. Back into jars and now I'm trying to keep it from going over 75%, once it hits that, I dump them again. It takes a few days of this dump/dry/sweat cycle once I hit 65% and it stays there, I start burping twice a day and so on like any other jar cure...... This method for me, produces THE best tasting buds. It takes a while to get the chlorophyll out, usually 3-4 weeks before you want try a sample. But I believe it to be superior to a normal jar cure because this method locks your terpenes in, instead of floating off into outer space during a 10-14 day dry. You do have to babysit the jars for the first few days. I usually end up taking them to work with me, lol. But if you're into trying something new, give it a shot. Always tasty af buds.

Edit... I also use boveda packs, not always but they do make life easier. You can use bovedas with this method but you still need to burp the jars. You have to work the chlorophyll out of the buds with air exchange.
I do this often as well if I have time. Often I can’t dry at high enough humidity so it’s a low fi way of a humidity controlled drying room. The best results are in the winter if I have the jars in my spot by the coldest wall of the cabin lol. Prob cures around 45-55 degrees. Never checked just a guess

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Alright man! I really don't come across many people that cure like this. I think there's a few old heads that do, but not many peeps. Temperature affects cure for sure too. The higher the temp, the faster the cure and vice versa. The slower, the better is why you get those results in the winter. I imagine if you were to put the effort in, you could do the sweat/dry cycle under high temps to speed the removal of chlorophyll, then slow it down with cooler temps. I discussed this with Dr.Who over on riu about a year ago. I really wanted to do a side by side, but life stuff got in the way.

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Where I’m at there is very low humidity in the winter cause she’s all -50 and shit lol. In the summer I can hang a good amount tho without it quick drying on me. So i usually just do it in winter. I also use the humidity packs. It’s kinda funny. While I’m airing out the buds in paper bag or just out on a table or something I toss the humidity packs in any old dry weed I got around so in a sense I’m drying the fresh and using that moisture to bring back some decrepit dry shit a bit so it’s tolerable haha

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
That's pretty slick. Using the packs like that and then put them in with the dry buds..... Ya i guess I didn't mention that I don't think there's many using that method in wet climates either. It's pretty dry here too, I'm in what's considered a high mountain desert. It could rain for a week, and be back to 30%rh in a couple days. People get random nosebleeds all the time in the winter, lol.

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
That's pretty slick. Using the packs like that and then put them in with the dry buds..... Ya i guess I didn't mention that I don't think there's many using that method in wet climates either. It's pretty dry here too, I'm in what's considered a high mountain desert. It could rain for a week, and be back to 30%rh in a couple days. People get random nosebleeds all the time in the winter, lol.
Haha cool. Random bleeding people on dee mountain top mon! Seriously tho it does sound like a cool spot. Here it’s dark almost all the time in winter and light out almost all the time in summer. Even now this early in the season it s sun up at around 4am and doesn’t get dark till 10. Ice isn’t even off the lake yet. I did dare to put a few tomatoes out but they are troopin through -1 -2c at night (prob in the 20 s f) it’s a weird place cause mid summer we some get 90 f plus days and that to the point we are complaining. And then a handful o months later yer dick is frozen to yer leg and your car wouldn’t start even if it wasn’t buried. But you somehow get er done did and yer heading to good ol work and your front strut just plain breaks cause it’s weak from the cold and just took a beating on that shitty road. So you roll on spring only all sketch till you get the money to order one. Meanwhile the power goes out and the pipes freeze c@ck stiff and you got flashlights on the crop. Anyways what I’m getting at is that flushing isn’t always necessary but when it is.... it is.

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
man trees always fallin here also. On peoples houses, cars, grandmothers etc. It’s the worst when you are stumblin through the dark in the snow then a tree falls onto your grandmothers frozen dick.. those days are the worst man. Gotta fire up the dog sled, quickly flush a plant or two of course, then head down to the legion fer some whisky dranks. That’s northern life hehe

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
man trees always fallin here also. On peoples houses, cars, grandmothers etc. It’s the worst when you are stumblin through the dark in the snow then a tree falls onto your grandmothers frozen dick.. those days are the worst man. Gotta fire up the dog sled, quickly flush a plant or two of course, then head down to the legion fer some whisky dranks. That’s northern life hehe
Poor granny's dick has had a rough life, lol. I assume the whisky eases the pain, maybe thaws it out a little.