The "I'm totally F-ing up grow thread."

bobross

You won't regret learning coco... It's superior in alot of ways . Yes there is a big learning curve but once your dialed in you can crank runs out fast and have beautiful results!
Thanks, I'm already getting a feel for it and love the way it performs. I can water and feed almost every day and my plant is really taking off. In soil, (with MUCH perlite) everything stayed wet for too long, I could barely feed once a week. (without over watering).. I f ing LOVE Coco....

With that said, I havent been to flower yet, thats the real test. Unfortunatley, the odor of this White Widow in Veg is scaring me and I may have to hand her over to a fellow grower. I'll probably start all over with a low odor strain. Northern Lights #10, Master Kush, Green Crack, Nicole Hindu or Afghan Kush? Help me pick a low odor strain for my next round?. This time I know to RINSE/buffer the f out of the coco before planting, lesson learned mistake made.

Rocman91

Sour D Fein
Thanks, I'm already getting a feel for it and love the way it performs. I can water and feed almost every day and my plant is really taking off. In soil, (with MUCH perlite) everything stayed wet for too long, I could barely feed once a week. (without over watering).. I f ing LOVE Coco....

With that said, I havent been to flower yet, thats the real test. Unfortunatley, the odor of this White Widow in Veg is scaring me and I may have to hand her over to a fellow grower. I'll probably start all over with a low odor strain. Northern Lights #10, Master Kush, Green Crack, Nicole Hindu or Afghan Kush? Help me pick a low odor strain for my next round?. This time I know to RINSE/buffer the f out of the coco before planting, lesson learned mistake made.
Get a carbon filter pumping outside and a small one for the room it's life changing lol

bobross

Get a carbon filter pumping outside and a small one for the room it's life changing lol
I've grown 4 times now (this plant is number 5) and my wife stands inches away from my grow without knowing. I use an AC afinity 4 inch fan and a (new) 4 inch carbon filter for every grow. I keep the carbon filter disconnected during veg and have only needed it around week 5-6 of flower. The very last weeks get a bit risky even with a carbon filter, I'm not sure why but just enough leaks out. My wife said "it smells like weed during week 9 of my last grow---I was almost discovered.

Needing a filter so soon with my little seedling/early veg plant is crazy, I'm quite surprised with White Widows odor. Anyway, I'm working to figure out if I can add another scrubber or ventilate my laundry room (basement) better. There just has to be a way to go odor free with one plant.....Thanks for the tip, I do have two fans and two filters, maybe I'll install a second to scrub internally.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin

I’m curious about why you want to feed or even water the plants so often? Plants can only absorb so much nutrition. When you are watering and feeding so often you are literally just pouring money down the drain. You also don’t need to replace carbon filters that often. I’ve used the same filters for 2 years or longer. You’ll get some smell when you open the tent in flower, but it will get filtered out once the tent is closed back up.

bobross

I’m curious about why you want to feed or even water the plants so often? Plants can only absorb so much nutrition. When you are watering and feeding so often you are literally just pouring money down the drain. You also don’t need to replace carbon filters that often. I’ve used the same filters for 2 years or longer. You’ll get some smell when you open the tent in flower, but it will get filtered out once the tent is closed back up.
So, as this is my first Coco grow, I'm experimenting a bit. I've found that this plant responds well to a light watering twice better than one big watering.. I have been watering to around 20% runoff but have found its better to take that same amount of water to split into two waterings, one at lights on and one 10 hours later. The second watering gives runoff. This is not my idea, I've seen this recommended on Coco forums so I'm just following advice and the plants seem to like it. I also water normally, without splitting the watering into two, and this works well too.

I'm not waisting nutrients, I'm just keeping the plant at the correct PH and EC levels. I'm also making sure to watch for salt buildup and PH problems. Side note, when your only growing one plant at a time, a bottle of Nutrients will last a LONG time... This is not an issue for me. (ever use a 1/64 tsp to feed your plants? I do !)

What I'm noticing about coco is that it drains very well and does not get "bogged down" into a swamp like soil does. I cant water very heavily without an issue, the plants seem to love it and dry out quickly. This allows me to water more often (and feed more often as needed)..

I do need to replace my carbon filters every gro, they barely get me through flower and start to give an odor at flower end (slight), so I keep two filters on hand at all times and use a new one every grow. Thats just been my experience with odor, something I'm working on now. I'm giving this plant away tomorrow, its a smelly one. Side note, I'm using junk (cheap) carbon filters-- you get what you pay for I guess. I just cant get myself to pay $150 for one of the high end filters.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I'm not waisting nutrients, I'm just keeping the plant at the correct PH and EC levels. I'm also making sure to watch for salt buildup and PH problems. Side note, when your only growing one plant at a time, a bottle of Nutrients will last a LONG time... This is not an issue for me. (ever use a 1/64 tsp to feed your plants? I do !)
With coco you are supposed to feed with most, if not every, watering. This is why it is usually recommended to use a lower dosage than the manufacturer recommends. I used to grow with bottled nutrients so trust me when I tell you that they do cost you a lot more in the end when compared to top dressing a fertilizer blend. I use half a tablespoon of fertilizer once a week in veg, only a few times during flower, and this is for 10 gallon pots.

What I'm noticing about coco is that it drains very well and does not get "bogged down" into a swamp like soil does. I cant water very heavily without an issue, the plants seem to love it and dry out quickly. This allows me to water more often (and feed more often as needed)..
This isn't an issue with soil, it's an issue with improperly amended soil. You seem to enjoy being more attentive to your plants, so that's probably why you prefer growing in coco, but what I'm getting at is that you don't need to be that attentive to your plants with a living soil grow.

I do need to replace my carbon filters every gro, they barely get me through flower and start to give an odor at flower end (slight), so I keep two filters on hand at all times and use a new one every grow. Thats just been my experience with odor, something I'm working on now. I'm giving this plant away tomorrow, its a smelly one.
What I'm getting at is that you shouldn't need to. If you are smelling the flower then you likely have an issue with the way you have your exhaust setup. Do you have an intake fan or just the exhaust? Does your tent have negative or positive pressure? If your tent walls push out even a little when it is closed then that is your issue. If they suck in, then that ensures that all of the air inside the tent has nowhere to go but through the filter before it exits the tent.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I'm giving this plant away tomorrow, its a smelly one
Have you had to trim your plants yet? There's really no way to keep the smell down when you do that. The smell is part of the game and all you can do is manage it the best you can. When I trim I open the windows and run the exhaust fan on high. It stinks for the day but then clears out once the filter can catch up.

bobross

With coco you are supposed to feed with most, if not every, watering. This is why it is usually recommended to use a lower dosage than the manufacturer recommends. I used to grow with bottled nutrients so trust me when I tell you that they do cost you a lot more in the end when compared to top dressing a fertilizer blend. I use half a tablespoon of fertilizer once a week in veg, only a few times during flower, and this is for 10 gallon pots.

This isn't an issue with soil, it's an issue with improperly amended soil. You seem to enjoy being more attentive to your plants, so that's probably why you prefer growing in coco, but what I'm getting at is that you don't need to be that attentive to your plants with a living soil grow.

What I'm getting at is that you shouldn't need to. If you are smelling the flower then you likely have an issue with the way you have your exhaust setup. Do you have an intake fan or just the exhaust? Does your tent have negative or positive pressure? If your tent walls push out even a little when it is closed then that is your issue. If they suck in, then that ensures that all of the air inside the tent has nowhere to go but through the filter before it exits the tent.
My grow cabinet (metal safe) has an intake hole at the bottom for the fan to pull air from and it runs the scrubbed air out the top. I've run many tests using incense and have negative pressure at the intake hole etc....

I'm not the first guy to say that even with a carbon filter a slight odor may escape. My setup is working very well, but there is a slight weed odor that gets out, even with a brand new filter. Anyway, I'm working on trying to find a way to ventilate my laundry room to get that last bit of smell away. I'll figure something out.

I hear you about the living soil man, not ignoring you and I'd love to do this some day. For now, I just thought I'd try coco with liquid nutrients to see how much I can learn (and get a little weed as a bonus)

Yes, I've had 4 successful harvests and am very familiar with trimming. I have to trim one cola at a time and light a lot of incense !

1.7 oz wet Northern Lights
IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

Durban Poison

IMG_0845.JPG

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I'd recommend going with a bigger intake hole or adding another 4" intake on the opposite side of the cabinet.. I know it sounds weird, but it's recommended to have a larger intake hole than you are the size of your fan setup. For example, I run a 6" fan/filter setup, but I use two 8" intake holes. Also, if you are using a humidifier in your cabinet, make sure you use either RODI filtered or distilled water in it. If you just use tap water, the minerals in the water will be in the mist and will clog your filter over time.

bobross

I'd recommend going with a bigger intake hole or adding another 4" intake on the opposite side of the cabinet.. I know it sounds weird, but it's recommended to have a larger intake hole than you are the size of your fan setup. For example, I run a 6" fan/filter setup, but I use two 8" intake holes. Also, if you are using a humidifier in your cabinet, make sure you use either RODI filtered or distilled water in it. If you just use tap water, the minerals in the water will be in the mist and will clog your filter over time.
Nice ! I've been thinking about this and have considered drilling another 4 inch intake ( dont have a blade to cut bigger). There is some air coming in through the cracks in the doors (weather sealed with special caulk) and the hinges though, my incense test shows that they are taking smoke in. Thanks for the tip, I kinda knew one intake wasnt enough..

I met a fellow grower yesterday and he is very interested in taking my plant, so I do have a new home for her. She will be grown outside. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can work on my grow cabinet by adding another intake hole AND I'm thining of using another fan with a 6 inch filter instead of 4. I'll also paint the inside mold/mildew resistant MATT white. I know the foil is a big no-no.

And lastly, check this out. You cant see it, but right behind my grow safe there is a metal trap door. (never noticed it before). It turns out I have a chimney cleaning door right behind my safe. (Fireplace above, I guess this door is there to clean up ash)... So, If I can get a fan and ducting up the chimney all of the exaust from my filter will go up one story to my fireplace. All that carbon in there may take care of the last little bit of odor I have late flower? I dont use the fireplace, no worries there.

Rocman91

Sour D Fein
I've grown 4 times now (this plant is number 5) and my wife stands inches away from my grow without knowing. I use an AC afinity 4 inch fan and a (new) 4 inch carbon filter for every grow. I keep the carbon filter disconnected during veg and have only needed it around week 5-6 of flower. The very last weeks get a bit risky even with a carbon filter, I'm not sure why but just enough leaks out. My wife said "it smells like weed during week 9 of my last grow---I was almost discovered.

Needing a filter so soon with my little seedling/early veg plant is crazy, I'm quite surprised with White Widows odor. Anyway, I'm working to figure out if I can add another scrubber or ventilate my laundry room (basement) better. There just has to be a way to go odor free with one plant.....Thanks for the tip, I do have two fans and two filters, maybe I'll install a second to scrub internally.
Yeah I literally have the filter sitting on the floor and the fan is on top pushing down through the filter . I stuck a furnace filter on top of the fan so the inside of the carbon stays clean from dust . That fun scrubbing in there changed everything . I bought an 8 inch ac infinity fan and filter ik it's big but I think that's what cut the smell so much . It's pulling a lot of cfm . It also moves the air around the room a little better .20230405_223500.jpg20230405_223446.jpg

twobitbob

Super Active Member
I know mushroom growers pasteurize coco, they advise against sterilizing
the reasoning is that pasteurizing leaves good bacteria in the coco

A sterilized media is a platform for all microbes good or bad
A Petri dish for example left out in the open will grow many different molds bacterias and yeasts on it from out of the air off your clothes even your hair/beard....
I'm taking this from lab grown mushroom work, which requires sterile procedures.
Nature is smart bugs find things.

Using a Living Soil approach focuses on aiding the growth of all of the beneficial microbes, worms, and other "bugs"
checkout all the insectaries to familiarize yourself with the good guys.

bobross

Yeah I literally have the filter sitting on the floor and the fan is on top pushing down through the filter . I stuck a furnace filter on top of the fan so the inside of the carbon stays clean from dust . That fun scrubbing in there changed everything . I bought an 8 inch ac infinity fan and filter ik it's big but I think that's what cut the smell so much . It's pulling a lot of cfm . It also moves the air around the room a little better .View attachment 127024View attachment 127025
Thanks, good stuff. I have an extra fan and old filter laying around, maybe I can make something similar.

bobross

I know mushroom growers pasteurize coco, they advise against sterilizing
the reasoning is that pasteurizing leaves good bacteria in the coco

A Petri dish for example left out in the open will grow many different molds bacterias and yeasts on it from out of the air off your clothes even your hair/beard....
I'm taking this from lab grown mushroom work, which requires sterile procedures.
Nature is smart bugs find things.

Using a Living Soil approach focuses on aiding the growth of all of the beneficial microbes, worms, and other "bugs"
checkout all the insectaries to familiarize yourself with the good guys.
So, about my "paranoia" with bugs, I'm getting up in age and sadly, some of these pests are very hard to see, even with reading glasses/loupe/microscope. I am quite sure I had root aphids one of my grows but the hell If I could see them. (The ants could see them apparently, they came and partied with the aphids...)

I'm getting a lot of recommendations to go with a living soil approach. I'm not against it, I'd love to go organic (or use less chemicals) but for now there are other options to explore. I may or may not have had pests in previous grows, but I'd rather not gamble. I'm aware that cooking the soil kills both good and bad, but I'm hoping that adding products like great white, Mycos, etc... might get the soil living again with the good stuff..

Funny thing, I started this hobby to grow weed and now I'm out growing herbs in my garden. I love growing things ! So, I do have a compost outdoors that I'm filling with Banana peels, eggshells, rabbit poop, etc.. (have a house trained rabbit that uses a little box, they poop a lot). I am playing with a living soil outdoors so, I am listening and I do have one toe in the water with living soil... Its just not coming into my house for now.

bobross

My White Widow is moving along slowly in coco. I've got my eyes on something that looks like dust on the leaves, I'm hoping it is only dust.

She is awfully small for week 5 but she lost a few days recovering after the topping.

The person that was going to adopt this from me flaked, so I'm stuck with her. I'll move her to a bigger pot this week.

_DSC5304.JPG
_DSC5317.JPG

Eggs or Dust? This is as close as I can get to see...

_DSC5310.JPG

_DSC5321.JPG