tds and ec in soil

John2II

I use AN's 3 part . minus part 1 in flower . I do not currently test tds/ec of my mix or runoff. I will now though . what range will i be looking for where could i maybe push that to ? 4 gallon pots with one plant and 9 gallon pots with 2 plants if that matters

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I haven’t used salt based nutrients for awhile, so someone else will have to answer that, but I’m just wondering why you are doing two plants in 9 gallon pots? Are these small autoflowers or something?

John2II

no . they're just what i had available . those are seedlings i've started inside of some blue dream . just worked out that way. 18 gallons of dirt left and two 9's and 4 seeds . figure i just divide em up and they'll be outside by hopefully end of the month

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
If they are going outside then I think you’re going to need bigger pots, or you can go with 5 gallon fabric pots, and then sink them into the ground. Otherwise you are going to be watering those plants multiple times a day and will constantly have to feed them.

John2II

can't drop them , too much shade so they get moved once a day .Would I be better off with just one plant ?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
can't drop them , too much shade so they get moved once a day .Would I be better off with just one plant ?
Yeah, I think you’d be better off going with 1 plant in a 10 gallon pot. Any bigger than that and they will suck to move around. I plant mine right in the ground, because I’m lazy, but my buddy grew his in 5 gal pots outside last year and he said he felt like they dried out way too fast.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
25 gal pot on a cart. silica will help strengthen your stems in addition to kushman chiropractic for creating knuckles on the stems and branches. The cart also helps create airflow under the pot too. Go bigger put casters on a pallet step up to 100 gallons

Resized_20201117_155035.jpeg

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
So if you go for a 100 gallon put ! plant can fill it up ?
Yes. Photoperiod plants outdoors are in vegetative growth for months, unless you start them late, so they will get big. The reason for the larger pots is because, when they get big, they will go through water very quickly and the will deplete the soil from a small pot quickly, too. If you want to keep the plants smaller then go with autos or wait until the summer to start your seeds.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
So with it being outside this early , I should expect to outgrow that container ?
It’s too early to put them out right now. If they are already outside then they will flower early, go back into vegetative growth when the days get longer, and then will flower again at the end of the summer. People who are starting their outdoor plants now usually start them indoors and them move them out once the days are long enough to prevent them from flowering early. You can also shine a spot light on them for the extra hours you need each night to keep them from flowering early.

But, to answer your question, yes I think putting them I 3-5 gallon pots outside would be a mistake.

John2II

those smaller ones are inside . outside just went in dirt yesterday . I would use something like a spotlight now ?

John2II

I started outside last june and it worked out . i'd like to get a jump though and this may be too much of one haha

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Yeah, the days aren’t long enough until the end of May to early June. A spot light works and I believe I’ve seen videos of Jamaicans hanging up trouble lights around their plants.

John2II

Awesome thanks , dude . i just gotta make em stay u p a little longer for now .i knew i should've started them inside but oh well . we'll see what the fuck happens

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
Charlie is on point here. Another issue is if you are intending to go outdoors with your babied indoor seedlings/clones is root bound plants and ones that went from 18hr to 14hr are other triggers for early flower. Step your pots 1, 5, 10 in the months prior to transitioning to outdoor and dial back to 14hr days. This will reduce stunted growth. Otherwise put everything out in mid August or after Labor day depending upon the part of the country.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For what it's worth, (found this out with tomatoes) the roots will go through a cloth pot - we know that. But if you just work the soil some and put the pot in a shallow hole, it will root in without being buried. End of the season when I moved them I had rootballs under the pot. Still couldn't move them around, but by the time they start filling a 9gallon pot, moving it is gonna be a bitch.