Synthetic Seeds

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Making synthetic seeds from 3 chemicals and tiny node cuts in clear jelly...
Don't know what to say really, anyone try anything like this?
Should make it easier to transport cuts...

All comments are welcome on this thread
This was presented as a reasonable way to bring tissue culture stuff to the public as a viable product that would not require the grower to be a home scientist with lab equipment and hoods and such. From what I have heard the actual growing of the embryo thingy takes forever, not like growing from a seed. And during that long time the conditions need to be perfect 24/7. They are not rugged.

This seems like a better process for getting cleaned cultures from lab to lab, or back to production facilities that have inhouse labs for growing out the things. I think after people mess around with it for a while they may come up with better processes where it could be a competitor to seeds, but I think it's a novelty for the most part. It doesn't store like a seed either.

JAG

Maybe a newer way to "keep" plant(s), instead of making sure we clone each "real" seed sprouted..
Right before we flip, we tear out the stuff below. Lots of pre-flower nodes.
Just encapsulate some nodes, in the fake seed tech. Stick in fridge. Each years Library can be all inclusive. (males too)
Gives us time to take "moma" all the way to the jar. Then... 8 out of ten might "sprout"
Easy'er way to keep some of each plant running. Tissue culture always seem'd like magic.

Just spouting BS I have no experience in, seems new/cool.

We all could benefit from sitting in front of a laminar hood like the guy on the video. Easy DIY...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Maybe a newer way to "keep" plant(s), instead of making sure we clone each "real" seed sprouted..
Right before we flip, we tear out the stuff below. Lots of pre-flower nodes.
Just encapsulate some nodes, in the fake seed tech. Stick in fridge. Each years Library can be all inclusive. (males too)
Gives us time to take "moma" all the way to the jar. Then... 8 out of ten might "sprout"
Easy'er way to keep some of each plant running. Tissue culture always seem'd like magic.

Just spouting BS I have no experience in, seems new/cool.

We all could benefit from sitting in front of a laminar hood like the guy on the video. Easy DIY...
I saw a podcast on it and don't remember much other than "this will never apply to me", and the fact that they are not like seeds in that the plant chunks (or whatever) are not in stasis. They are still growing and cannot be kept in that form almost indefinitely like a seed.

I think that it is at best a space saver for keeping a large stable of clone-only genetics, but it would be a constant rotation of taking new cultures to make new "seeds" that would be grown out eventually to make new plants to take more tissue from, etc. Like cloning but on a micro-scale.

This is where I meant the inhouse labs would come into play. But to me it seems more like playing mad scientist instead of mad gardener.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
I saw a podcast on it and don't remember much other than "this will never apply to me", and the fact that they are not like seeds in that the plant chunks (or whatever) are not in stasis. They are still growing and cannot be kept in that form almost indefinitely like a seed.

I think that it is at best a space saver for keeping a large stable of clone-only genetics, but it would be a constant rotation of taking new cultures to make new "seeds" that would be grown out eventually to make new plants to take more tissue from, etc. Like cloning but on a micro-scale.

This is where I meant the inhouse labs would come into play. But to me it seems more like playing mad scientist instead of mad gardener.
i'll stick with what i know, the old way!