Storage Recommendations?

Thedadjokeguy

Greetings,

Just had my very first grow. Harvested 4 plants and have a lot more then I know what to do with.

It's been two weeks and would like to use Humity packs and store it. Right now I have everything in like 20 mason jars. Be nice to have gallon size container to cut down on burping work on the jars, plus humidity pack purchases. Looking around they want something like $20+ per 1 gallon jar. Way over priced for me. Anyone have an cheaper recommendations for long term storage?

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Greetings,

Just had my very first grow. Harvested 4 plants and have a lot more then I know what to do with.

It's been two weeks and would like to use Humity packs and store it. Right now I have everything in like 20 mason jars. Be nice to have gallon size container to cut down on burping work on the jars, plus humidity pack purchases. Looking around they want something like $20+ per 1 gallon jar. Way over priced for me. Anyone have an cheaper recommendations for long term storage?
The half gallon mason jars are a lot more affordable as long as you buy them locally. A six pack of the 1/2 gallon jars cost me $13.99 locally. Food grade buckets with screw on lids are nice, too, but they get expensive and I haven't seen any sizes smaller then 2 or 3 gallons.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Oh, and if you want to make burping dead simple then build one of these setups.

BX3FFQK.jpg

It's just an air pump feeding the jars and the jars each have two 1-way valves in the lids to keep them sealed when the air isn't being pushed through them. I set it on a timer that pushes air through the jars for 30 minutes a day.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

View attachment 74747

It's just an air pump feeding the jars and the jars each have two 1-way valves in the lids to keep them sealed when the air isn't being pushed through them. I set it on a timer that pushes air through the jars for 30 minutes a day.
dude!
5 gallon bucket with a bucket-grid at the bottom. and have the air come in from underneath and exit out the top!

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Here's the video that originally gave me the idea.

Buckets with Gamma lids are actually pretty expensive on Amazon but they are a lot cheaper if you buy the ones that Gamma makes for pet food storage that they call "Vittles Vault". I've been thinking about getting a couple of the 2 gallon size.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Buckets with Gamma lids are actually pretty expensive on Amazon but they are a lot cheaper if you buy the ones that Gamma makes for pet food storage that they call "Vittles Vault". I've been thinking about getting a couple of the 2 gallon size.
I probably have all the junk laying around to make one. I bet having the input tube long enough to reach the bottom of the jar would be fine. You might but I can't see it.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
He makes it seem much more complicated and large-sale.
Yeah he does, and so does the guy that shows how to make them from jars, because he drills two holes in the glass instead of the lid. It's so much easier to drill the lid and then just run an air hose to the bottom of each jar. I just ordered two of these to use for curing my outdoor harvest. It will be a lot less work than using 8+ 1/2 gallon jars.

https://www.amazon.com/GAMMA2-Vittles-Airtight-Container-Storage/dp/B002Q7PIUW

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yeah he does, and so does the guy that shows how to make them from jars, because he drills two holes in the glass instead of the lid. It's so much easier to drill the lid and then just run an air hose to the bottom of each jar. I just ordered two of these to use for curing my outdoor harvest. It will be a lot less work than using 8+ 1/2 gallon jars.

https://www.amazon.com/GAMMA2-Vittles-Airtight-Container-Storage/dp/B002Q7PIUW
And if you screw up a lid you can pick up another dozen for $2.99

Thedadjokeguy

Hi guys, I'm amazed at some of the engineering ideas. I think that would be a bit excessive for my needs. For context I have 4 different strains across 15 jars. What I wanted to have is a jar per strain (4 containers total), put a moisture pack in each container and be all set. I don't mind manually burping. I manually hauled 4 5ga buckets of water up and down steps for 4 months each week. Simply taking off the lid for 15mins? I got this!

I was mainly interested in something cheaper then $20 for a glass jar. It's not a matter of money, just the priceable on the markup for such a cheap manufacturer cost item. I don't reward products priced like that.

This is just insane $80 for 4 glass jars? Not in this lifetime

This for $24, about $15 more then its worth shipped. But at least more or less what i'm thinking

Also in terms of Moisture packs, this will be my first time purchasing. Any tips on what specific kind and/or moisture percent I should get?

Thanks!

Thedadjokeguy

View attachment 74747

I really love engineering like this. Made my day! Simple yet the thought that went in to it with the parts on hand is awesome.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Hi guys, I'm amazed at some of the engineering ideas. I think that would be a bit excessive for my needs. For context I have 4 different strains across 15 jars. What I wanted to have is a jar per strain (4 containers total), put a moisture pack in each container and be all set. I don't mind manually burping. I manually hauled 4 5ga buckets of water up and down steps for 4 months each week. Simply taking off the lid for 15mins? I got this!

I was mainly interested in something cheaper then $20 for a glass jar. It's not a matter of money, just the priceable on the markup for such a cheap manufacturer cost item. I don't reward products priced like that.

This is just insane $80 for 4 glass jars? Not in this lifetime

This for $24, about $15 more then its worth shipped. But at least more or less what i'm thinking

Also in terms of Moisture packs, this will be my first time purchasing. Any tips on what specific kind and/or moisture percent I should get?

Thanks!
I’ve used both Boveda and Integra Boost packs. Integra Boost are less expensive and I prefer them. They seem to last longer to me and a lot of people have complained about terpene loss with Boveda, but I’ve never noticed it.

The problem I had with burping wasn’t related to being lazy at all. I built that setup because I often forgot to burp them or, when I did remember, I would forget to put the lids back on, so I look at the burping setup more like insurance.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Oh, I forgot to add... Glass jars of that size are going to cost you a shitload on Amazon. Ball jars cost more than double on Amazon than they do locally at Walmart or other stores.

Thedadjokeguy

Excellent Tips, thank you! Also I can see how a guy can forget to burp them, forgot last night lol.
I went with your recommendation and went with Integra. Be here Friday. This is only week 3 so I'm in no hurry to put those in there yet so Friday works. Gives them more time to dry.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
Greetings,

Sometimes thrift stores like Good Will, Salvation Army etc. have large glass containers with a rubber seal and a compression lock.